U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Spain
1,856 posts, read 2,807,119 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Of course I lack reading comprehension. I live in the South, right? West Coast condescension and a few 'links' don't amount to a hill of beans in my book (yes, I do read them from time to time).
Well you said that not me, but at least you're honest!

Statistics and surveying actual people who can speak for themselves don't do it for you? Sorry y'all, guess my facts just don't live up to your standards! Of course when you have convinced yourself that Houston is the new land of milk and honey, there's not much anyone can do to convince you otherwise. Shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,833 posts, read 19,388,448 times
Reputation: 5719
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Well you said that not me, but at least you're honest!

Statistics and surveying actual people who can speak for themselves don't do it for you? Sorry y'all, guess my facts just don't live up to your standards! Of course when you have convinced yourself that Houston is the new land of milk and honey, there's not much anyone can do to convince you otherwise. Shame.
Apparently I'm not alone in this conviction, try as you might to persuade the world otherwise. This must really stick in your craw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,292 posts, read 11,859,189 times
Reputation: 10775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Philadelphia
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington DC
I think these are some good pics......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
887 posts, read 1,200,817 times
Reputation: 617
Since you quoted me in your post, I'm assuming you're talking to me. For one, me saying that I've never heard that people want to move is not the equivalent of me believing (or asserting) that people don't want to move to those areas. Those links and articles are useless to me, because I already believe people want to move to Portland, Denver, etc. Re-read my post and you'll see that I'm basically agreeing with you.

Secondly, I've already cited articles that quote how people are moving to Atlanta for other reasons besides economics. Some didn't mention the affordability at all, capice?

No one is discounting you dude. All we're saying is to recognize that other people do want to move to Houston and Atlanta with affordability not being the predominant factor. I'm over this nonsense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Unless mosquitos are back in style, economics is the most likely candidate for your motivation. Economics is typically the primary (but obviously not only) motivation for the majority of domestic migration. In the 80's, everyone from California was moving to the PNW because of how cheap it was. You could literally sell your house in Cali and buy a house twice as big in Portland for the same amount. This is what's happening in the eastern sunbelt right now. Add in healthy job markets, and you get a recipe for domestic migration.

It would definitely be unfounded. Places like Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver and others are known throughout the country as hip, young, fantastic places to live. This is a simple fact that apparently people from Houston and Atlanta have missed. I have already posted the survey which showed where people really want to live and Denver and Seattle top the list.

Here your CD peers say it: Hippest cities in America

Here the Wall Street Journal says it: 'Youth Magnet' Cities Hit Midlife Crisis - WSJ.com

I really don't know what other proof you need. People still dream about moving to cities like Portland even with an economy that is bleeding jobs and a high cost of living (when compared to places like Dallas and Houston).

You (and the other Texas posters) and myself agree that people are moving in droves to Texas, Georgia, the Carolinas and wherever else. So in that sense, they are popular. But my original point was that in the other sense of the word popular (meaning where people really want to be) the answer is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,238,421 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What I believe? You have to be kidding. LOOK AT THE LINKS I PROVIDED. I am not speaking for everyone. The people in the Pew survey spoke for themselves when they chose Seattle, Denver, and Portland over Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston. The independent journalists who reported that Austin attracts more young educated people than Dallas and Houston despite being smaller - those journalists as well as the educated professionals spoke for themselves.

And I've already said this, but you clearly are incapable of reading comprehension. I live in Los Angeles. I live in the sunbelt. Nothing of value in the sunbelt? Please show me when I said that. All I've done in this thread is answer the prompt by explaining where people are moving and where the most desirable places to live in the U.S. are as according to the majority of people, as shown in the surveys, polls, and statistics I have provided.

Independent journalists? C'mon dude you're still quoting "facts" from that Pew survey?? The Pew Research Center is conservative and I’m sure it would highlight cities like Austin, Portland, Boston & Denver which are basically white cities. And I’m guessing by your screen name that you’re from Portland yourself so I could see where your viewpoint is coming from. But at the same time you have to see where I am coming from, being a black male it is not "cool" or "hip" to live in Boston, Portland, or Denver. It is "cool and hip" to live in places like DC, Atlanta, Houston, NYC....I’ve never been to Denver or Portland, but I’ve been to Boston and I could see how people could like it, but I personally did not enjoy myself, and a number of the other black people that I met that lived there were on the same page as I am as well. So I’m pretty sure other cities that the Pew Research Center says are "hip and cool" I will not like as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Spain
1,856 posts, read 2,807,119 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Independent journalists? C'mon dude you're still quoting "facts" from that Pew survey?? The Pew Research Center is conservative and Iím sure it would highlight cities like Austin, Portland, Boston & Denver which are basically white cities. And Iím guessing by your screen name that youíre from Portland yourself so I could see where your viewpoint is coming from. But at the same time you have to see where I am coming from, being a black male it is not "cool" or "hip" to live in Boston, Portland, or Denver. It is "cool and hip" to live in places like DC, Atlanta, Houston, NYC....Iíve never been to Denver or Portland, but Iíve been to Boston and I could see how people could like it, but I personally did not enjoy myself, and a number of the other black people that I met that lived there were on the same page as I am as well. So Iím pretty sure other cities that the Pew Research Center says are "hip and cool" I will not like as well...
Yes, independent journalists as in the WSJ article I posted showing how people are flocking to Portland even where there aren't any jobs. It's just that attractive of a place to live.

And now the Pew center is racist? LOL. If it were extremely biased conservatively as you keep saying, then why the hell would it be touting the most liberal, republican-hating cities in the country like Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle as the places everyone wants to live? It was a survey of real people who spoke about where they really wish they could live. I don't see how this is difficult to understand.

And for the record, I believe you when you say you have no desire to move to Portland or Denver or whatever other "white cities" have been mentioned. I don't know why all of you keep bringing up the fact that Atlanta and Houston are hotbeds of black culture....I never disputed that, in fact I know that. The fact is that most young educated professionals (the people who have been in discussion this entire thread) are not black, so it's really a moot point. Black people would rather live in Atlanta than Portland. That's cool. Most young professionals would rather live in Portland than Atlanta. Not difficult to understand.

But I agree, this can be put to rest. I am done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
887 posts, read 1,200,817 times
Reputation: 617
I was ready to let this go, however you are claiming things youngmj never said. He neither said the Pew study were racist nor extremely biased. He pointed out that the study could be skewed.

Pew Study or not, the census already shows young people of ALL races flocking to Atlanta over Portland. As well as many other publications describing Atlanta's popularity for young professionals over the past several years:

-Atlanta ranked 9th in destinations for young professionlas
http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten-best-cities-college-graduates-jobs-rated

-According to USA Today (2003): "Be hip and they will come" is the motto of a new movement in second-tier cities that have lost their best and brightest to more urbane centers such as San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Atlanta, Washington and Boston. Wooing young people has never been high on cities' economic development agendas. Until now." http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...es-cover_x.htm

- (2004) "Over the last three decades approximately 60% of counties in America experienced brain drain, while major metropolitan areas experienced brain gain. Brain gain cities benefiting from this trend include San Diego, San Francisco, Austin, Boston, Atlanta, Denver, and Raleigh."
http://www.brassmagazine.com/article...s-or-boondocks

Yes, Houston and Atlanta are black cultural hotbeds, but that wasn't the point. The point is that there are many people who would rather move there over Portland, and statistically, are in fact moving there over Portland.

Neither of us discounted your perspective in Portland being a draw, but your attempts to speak on the behalf of all young professionals is misguided and is what is at issue considering that the U.S. Census, Forbes, and other studies cited prove you incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Yes, independent journalists as in the WSJ article I posted showing how people are flocking to Portland even where there aren't any jobs. It's just that attractive of a place to live.

And now the Pew center is racist? LOL. If it were extremely biased conservatively as you keep saying, then why the hell would it be touting the most liberal, republican-hating cities in the country like Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle as the places everyone wants to live? It was a survey of real people who spoke about where they really wish they could live. I don't see how this is difficult to understand.

And for the record, I believe you when you say you have no desire to move to Portland or Denver or whatever other "white cities" have been mentioned. I don't know why all of you keep bringing up the fact that Atlanta and Houston are hotbeds of black culture....I never disputed that, in fact I know that. The fact is that most young educated professionals (the people who have been in discussion this entire thread) are not black, so it's really a moot point. Black people would rather live in Atlanta than Portland. That's cool. Most young professionals would rather live in Portland than Atlanta. Not difficult to understand.

But I agree, this can be put to rest. I am done.

Last edited by bizchick86; 10-01-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,238,421 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I was ready to let this go, however you are claiming things youngmj never said. He neither said the Pew study were racist nor extremely biased. He pointed out that the study could be skewed.

Pew Study or not, the census already shows young people of ALL races flocking to Atlanta over Portland. As well as other studies
http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten-best-cities-college-graduates-jobs-rated and others already cited.

Yes, Houston and Atlanta are black cultural hotbeds, but that wasn't the point. The point is that there are many people who would rather move there over Portland, and statistically, are in fact moving there over Portland.

Neither of us discounted your perspective in Portland being a draw, but your attempts to speak on the behalf of all young professionals is misguided and is what is at issue considering that the U.S. Census, Forbes, and other studies cited prove you incorrect.
Thanks biz, you said what I wanted to say. Most of the rep points I send out on here go in your direction, lol.....

*EDIT*

Damn it says I cant even rep you anymore as I have done it so much already...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Thanks biz, you said what I wanted to say. Most of the rep points I send out on here go in your direction, lol.....

*EDIT*

Damn it says I cant even rep you anymore as I have done it so much already...............
I did it for you...that was a very well thought-out post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Spain
1,856 posts, read 2,807,119 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I was ready to let this go, however you are claiming things youngmj never said. He neither said the Pew study were racist nor extremely biased. He pointed out that the study could be skewed.
Have you even been reading this thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post10970724

I pointed out how ridiculous the claim is that the Pew center is conservatively biased when it's touting some of the most liberal cities in America as the places people want to move.

(^^^ He never responded to that either, if you didn't notice). If it's conservative, yet it speaks highly of white, liberal cities, then that either makes it A) unbiased or B) racist.

Quote:
Pew Study or not, the census already shows young people of ALL races flocking to Atlanta over Portland. As well as other studies
http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten-best-cities-college-graduates-jobs-rated and others already cited.
Ummm.....you do realize that in the link you provided, Boston, Seattle, and Denver are all above Atlanta and that Houston and Dallas didn't even make the list, right? That is proving my point.

Quote:
Yes, Houston and Atlanta are black cultural hotbeds, but that wasn't the point. The point is that there are many people who would rather move there over Portland, and statistically, are in fact moving there over Portland.
Yes, we've been over this at least 4 times already in this thread. The fact that people are moving to Atlanta, Houston, etc. is not in dispute. The reasons behind their moves are what we have been discussing.

Quote:
Neither of us discounted your perspective in Portland being a draw, but your attempts to speak on the behalf of all young professionals is misguided and is what is at issue considering that the U.S. Census, Forbes, and other studies cited prove you incorrect.
I am speaking for the people who responded to the Pew survey? I am speaking for the Wall Street Journal? You did see the graph they provided from the Brookings Institute (CONSERVATIVE!!!!111111111) which showed that from 2005-2007 Portland attracted almost as many people 25 and older who hold bachelor's degrees as Houston, despite being less than half the size, right?

Edit: If your argument is that people move to Atlanta not because of economics, then why would you cite Forbes? Did you read why they named Atlanta the 3rd best city for young professionals? In case you forgot:

"Most people don't associate elite grads with Atlanta, but they should. A ranking of eighth in our businesses measure and a high salary to cost of living ratio put Atlanta in the top three."

Their reasons behind Atlanta's ranking is entirely economic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top