Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
to the bolded- which it is, Houtson and Dallas are not only mentioned in the black community, but are destinations as well. When I was in college it literally seemed like everyone I knew from Chicago, Detroit or the midwest period was trying or was going to move to Houston or Dallas. And to us in the south every city on the "left coast" is a punchline to us except for LA..........Quite honestly (speaking for my own city, not the whole south) we considered places like San Diego, Seattle, Portland among others on the west coast to be "soft".
I'll just take your word for it.

The point stands - Texas and Atlanta are not dream destinations for most young, educated professionals. San Diego, San Francisco, New York, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc - "white bred" cities as you so eloquently called them - are places people actually want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I'll just take your word for it.

The point stands - Texas and Atlanta are not dream destinations for most young, educated professionals. San Diego, San Francisco, New York, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc - "white bred" cities as you so eloquently called them - are places people actually want to live.

LOL, well I guess I need to get out of town more often than just once a month as except for NYC and SF I have yet to meet one of those individuals.......

Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
LOL, well I guess I need to get out of town more often than just once a month as except for NYC and SF I have yet to meet one of those individuals.......
I was just about to type the same thing. I laughed at the fact that you put Portland which is irrelevant and almost non-existent here in Texas. No one talks about that city.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well Houston is a top destination city for Asians, Hispanics, and blacks. Anyways, Living in one these cities unlike you; I'd think I know how it is. Not everyone moves here for the cost like you'd like to believe.

Attending TSU, I'm exposed to people from all the country and get all types of opinions toward Houston. Some Hate it and some like it. My friend neighbors are from Chicago, Los Angeles, Louisiana, Detroit, and DC. We were all discussing Houston at this party we had, and they all said they loved it much more than their previous locations. I didn't think Chicago was that hated or disliked until I moved to Houston. People from Cali always refer to how Houston is similar to LA except less crowded and more laid-back.

Houston is a fairly young city with many educated young professionals living inside the loop. Home to the museum district and theatre district, 3 universities, and more. Houston is very much a place that attracts lots of young professionals.
OK? I have no idea what your point is, because I don't disagree with anything you said...I've already said people are moving to places like Dallas and Houston and Atlanta because they have strong economies. That's something to be proud of. All I'm saying is that they aren't places people dream about.

And in my personal experience, I am in school in Los Angeles and I swear one in 10 people I meet is either from Dallas or Houston. They all like L.A. better.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I was just about to type the same thing. I laughed at the fact that you put Portland which is irrelevant and almost non-existent here in Texas. No one talks about that city.
I listed the cities people actually want to live in. Feel free to take a look at the link I already posted.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Quote:

LOL, my dude the only reason Portland is even on my radar is because of the Nike Campus....other than that I would much rather go to Houston for the Kappa Beach party than go visit Portland

Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
I listed the cities people actually want to live in. Feel free to take a look at the link I already posted.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf
Ok......so the most desirable city to live in is Denver......right lol

I don't think cities like LA or NYC are going to settle for being so low.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Ok......so the most desirable city to live in is Denver......right lol

I don't think cities like LA or NYC are going to settle for being so low.
I understand your wandering attention span can't grasp this, but yes, Denver is ideal for many people or at least it's not a city that elicits strong hatred from any particular group of people. Not super liberal or conservative, great outdoors recreation, cold winters warm summers, what's not to like?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM

23,446 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
I've already said people are moving to places like Dallas and Houston and Atlanta because they have strong economies. That's something to be proud of. All I'm saying is that they aren't places people dream about.
I'm sorry to bitterly disappoint you; however, young professionals are indeed moving to these cities in large number...and not just out of economic necessity, but out of a sincere desire to experience them. I meet them all the time...their contentment here would no doubt be a complete irritant to you.
They may not be your dream, but they are the dream of many. You don't speak for everyone...the myriad of inquiries about life in these cities from C-D posters outside the region is evidence enough of that.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm sorry to bitterly disappoint you; however, young professionals are indeed moving to these cities in large number...and not just out of economic necessity, but out of a sincere desire to experience them. I meet them all the time...their contentment here would no doubt be a complete irritant to you.
They may not be your dream, but they are the dream of many. You don't speak for everyone...the myriad of inquiries about life in these cities from C-D posters outside the region is evidence enough of that.
Every city has people in it who want to be there and people who don't. I'm sure many people do want to move to Houston or Dallas. I'm sure some people want to move to Detroit too. All I'm saying is that, by and large, young educated professionals would rather live in places like Boston and San Francisco than Houston. But for people who like warm weather and don't mind humidity, Houston is attractive.

But don't kid yourself. Do you actually believe people would be leaving California and the north en masse to Texas if the economy was no better and housing was just as expensive? Please.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 09-29-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City