Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Hawaii and California.
No, I meant the question was for her to answer. I want to see what she thinks the best beach state is. lol.

Although I agree with your choices as well, but my list has Florida in it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Hawaii or California.
I agree with this. And I'm glad you finally didn't mention NJ. NJ isn't in these states leagues. Florida is closer to there league than NJ is.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree with this. And I'm glad you finally didn't mention NJ. NJ isn't in these states leagues. Florida is closer to there league than NJ is.
Florida is nowhere in the league of Hawaii and California.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The northeast is big for surfers IN the Northeast. Kelly Slater one of the greatest surfers there is happens to be from Cocoa Beach FL. I don't need to know ANYTHING about the beaches up there to know they're inferior to Florida's beaches. No one in Florida, OR, Cali, OR Hawaii CARES for the surf in NJ.

Honestly for surfing only CA and HI come to my mind - though I see people surfing in Jersey quite frequently

I do think Beaches when i think of Jersey - to me it is actually the first thing that comes to mind - but I grew up in Philly and the Jersey shore is Philly in the summer. Having said that the state that comes to mind for me first in association with being the most beachy would be FL; followed by CA

I probably should think HI too - but that would likely be third for me

One thing that Jersey does have in common with Florida is you are never more than 50 miles from the ocean (I guess you could say for RI too even less)

but to me

FL, CA, HI

Next tier is (in no order)

NC, NJ, VA, SC, MD, TX

Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
^^NY should be on the list, with how many celebs vacation at Fire Island and the Hamptons. Obviously it must be pretty nice if celebs come here and own homes.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I think Florida is probably the ultimate beach state, more so than HI or CA. It's coastline is a lot more accessible than both HI and Ca. A lot of CA's coastline can inaccessible to to cliffs and mountains crashing straight into the ocean and the same can apply to Hawaii as well. Go to the Big Island and there are barely any beaches, let alone natural ones; it's one of the things I really dislike about that island. The good surf in both states doesn't exactly make for the easiest and safest swimming either, although it is fun to play in the waves sometimes it can be too dangerous. Also north of Santa Barbara , which is the majority of CA's coastline, the water is too cold any time of year to swim in.

I prefer the combination of stunning coastline and warm tropical waters of Hawaii over Ca and Florida but for just beaches, Florida comes out on top imo. So much of the coast is nice, soft, white sand compared to CA and HI.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly for surfing only CA and HI come to my mind - though I see people surfing in Jersey quite frequently

I do think Beaches when i think of Jersey - to me it is actually the first thing that comes to mind - but I grew up in Philly and the Jersey shore is Philly in the summer. Having said that the state that comes to mind for me first in association with being the most beachy would be FL; followed by CA

I probably should think HI too - but that would likely be third for me

One thing that Jersey does have in common with Florida is you are never more than 50 miles from the ocean (I guess you could say for RI too even less)

but to me

FL, CA, HI

Next tier is (in no order)

NC, NJ, VA, SC, MD, TX
I agree with this. However, from what I've heard about NJ. I could see it being on a higher tier than Texas.

The main attractions along the gulf coast in Texas would be Kemah Beach, Galveston, South Padre, and Corpus Christi. You have other areas but I wouldn't consider them anything special.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^NY should be on the list, with how many celebs vacation at Fire Island and the Hamptons. Obviously it must be pretty nice if celebs come here and own homes.
Get over NY beaches Rachel. Do you really think the Northeast has better beaches than FLORIDA. and Florida IS known for surfing, professional surf competitions are held in Sebastian every year http://www.sebastianinletpro.com/index.php (broken link).

And in case you didn't know, according to the travel channel Palm Beach FL has the highest concentration of wealth in the world during the winter months, because of all the celebrities who have homes there (such as the Rockefellers, Kennedys, and countless other celebrities) on top of the other millionaires and celebrities that live there full time.

FL has some of the highest ranked beaches in the world, and it is an international tourist destination because places like South Beach. The northeast does have some nice beaches but they don't compare to FL's.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
I think the most "beachy state" is Florida. How can you not think of Florida when you hear the word "beach". People go to FL from all over the country to vacation there. I guess after Florida would come Hawaii and California when thinking most "beachy".

I would follow that up by VA, NC, SC, & GA.

Not really familiar with any beaches north of VA since its not really to common for people to go "Up North" for the beaches. Maybe for the city/urban experience, but definitely not beaches. But I'll go ahead and list NJ too for the Jersey Shore. But thats moreso popular for NJ/NY/PA people and not necessarily a popular destination.

SN: Some posters have to make an argument for their city/metro/state no matter what the category is....LOL. Its okay.. you cant be the best at everything. Let some other places shine sometimes.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
.SN: Some posters have to make an argument for their city/metro/state no matter what the category is....LOL. Its okay.. you cant be the best at everything. Let some other places shine sometimes.
Seriously, there are some pathetic biased homers on here. When people can't give a place credit when credit is due b/c of some chip on their shoulder, it's truly pathetic and sad and says something about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City