Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times

Advertisements

Florida, California, Hawaii, and many other coastal states have some beaches but Forida, California and Hawaii are where many people go and they have more than just a few beaches, they have many!!! And Good ones too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Michigan. We have more beaches than any state in the contiguous U.S., and in my opinion, some of the most beautiful beaches in the country.
Having visited them I agree.

But Hawaii sure is fine.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Not ocean beaches though. Do lake beaches count? Are there waves? Soft sand? Have never been so I don't know.
Lake beaches count? I don't see why not. There are tens of thousand tourists a year that come to just my area alone for the beaches. Most of the summer the locals are outnumbered by out of towners. Remember that these "lakes" are tens of thousands of square MILES in size and have 1000+ foot ships sailing on them plus almost 1 million pleasure boats registered just in Michigan alone.

Are there waves? Of course there are. Most times just small at 1 - 3 feet, but at times 15 - 20 footers are around.

Soft sand? Yep, hundreds and hundreds of miles of soft sand that is so clean it squeaks when you walk across it. After being all along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts I can say that the sand here is just as soft (and softer in most cases) than any place I visited on the oceans. The entire western side of Michigan is beach from top to bottom and almost the entire eastern side is as well. Plus we have the Upper Peninsula that has beaches on the North and South sides.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM

160 posts, read 774,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Lake beaches count? I don't see why not. There are tens of thousand tourists a year that come to just my area alone for the beaches. Most of the summer the locals are outnumbered by out of towners. Remember that these "lakes" are tens of thousands of square MILES in size and have 1000+ foot ships sailing on them plus almost 1 million pleasure boats registered just in Michigan alone.

Are there waves? Of course there are. Most times just small at 1 - 3 feet, but at times 15 - 20 footers are around.

Soft sand? Yep, hundreds and hundreds of miles of soft sand that is so clean it squeaks when you walk across it. After being all along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts I can say that the sand here is just as soft (and softer in most cases) than any place I visited on the oceans. The entire western side of Michigan is beach from top to bottom and almost the entire eastern side is as well. Plus we have the Upper Peninsula that has beaches on the North and South sides.
Have you ever visited Ogunquit, ME? I experienced the same squeaky sand sensation. The sand there is also INCREDIBLY soft!

Question about lake beaches though: Does it feel like your at the ocean when your at one of the great lakes or can you still tell when your in it that its most def. a lake? For example, are they kind of mucky/dirty and leafy like regular lakes?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM

199 posts, read 220,048 times
LOLOL @ michigan
nobody from colorado for example, when considering a beach vacation considers "michigan" among the obvious candidates (California, Hawaii and Florida)

some ppl on here are trippin...

Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM

160 posts, read 774,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
LOLOL @ michigan
nobody from colorado for example, when considering a beach vacation considers "michigan" among the obvious candidates (California, Hawaii and Florida)

I need to agree, no offense to those who supported MI. But when I think of beach vacation I think of California (let's just face it--everyone thinks of beaches and palm trees), Florida (the sunshine state), Hawaii (the aloha state) or Maine--VACATIONLAND itself.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Have you ever visited Ogunquit, ME? I experienced the same squeaky sand sensation. The sand there is also INCREDIBLY soft!

Question about lake beaches though: Does it feel like your at the ocean when your at one of the great lakes or can you still tell when your in it that its most def. a lake? For example, are they kind of mucky/dirty and leafy like regular lakes?
Lived in Maine for 20 years, been to Ogunquit many, many times, as well as "sand beach", Old Orchard, Wells, York, etc.... The beaches here are much better.

The lakes are super clean with a hard sand bottom.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
ARIZONA, miles and miles of beach, no ocean

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
LOLOL @ michigan

I never said they did. I answered a couple questions that were asked. I really don't want people to consider Michigan when it comes to beaches.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM

45 posts, read 49,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Lived in Maine for 20 years, been to Ogunquit many, many times, as well as "sand beach", Old Orchard, Wells, York, etc.... The beaches here are much better.

The lakes are super clean with a hard sand bottom.

You forgot to mention the very cold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City