Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Maybe we should just make the NYC Metro Area a state, but that would be a bad idea for NJ because most of the people and businesses that are in the state are apart of the metro area. So would this be any good?
No.

Sounds like just a city-state instead of a state. Do you think New York would be better without the Hudson Valley, the Finger Lakes or Niagara Falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo244u View Post

But now back on Topic...If you took NYC, then the rest of the state would be simliar to VA....
Maybe that is why I like Virginia so much!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
I'm not sure why any area in a state shouldn't belong to that state. What simply because the city of San Francisco is different from Yosemite National Park, they should be in different states? States are diverse, period.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Memphis doesn't belong in Tennessee, but we don't think Arkansas will take it.
There's an old standing joke in education and government in Tennessee that most all laws were passed due to Memphis...

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington don't belong with the west sides of those states...or vice-versa. The population centers are on the west side and they tend to be much more liberal politically, more crowded and more urban centered.
Even the country is different. Generally--west = wet. East = dry.
Memphis probably belongs in Mississippi, if anywhere else.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No.

Sounds like just a city-state instead of a state. Do you think New York would be better without the Hudson Valley, the Finger Lakes or Niagara Falls?
Nope and Upstate NY would be the 13th most populated state if there was a break up. That might actually change, as it would probably be governed differently, I would think.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I'm not sure why any area in a state shouldn't belong to that state. What simply because the city of San Francisco is different from Yosemite National Park, they should be in different states? States are diverse, period.
I completely agree with this. Instead of mocking another region, people should embrace the different areas of their state and appreciate how and what it contributes to the state as a whole.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I don't live any where near there, but the Chicago area seems to be completely different from the rest of Illinois.
I would expand this to Chicagoland. Chicagoland is urban. The rest of the state with the exception of a few cities like Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington-Normal, Rockford, Champaign-Urbana is rural. There is a completely different culture and a different accent...everything is different.

Chicagoland has its own version the North Inland accent. NW Illinois and the cenral portion of the state have a Midland accent. The southern portion has a southern drawl mixed into a Midland accent.

Politically, Chicagoland is overwhelmingly liberal...the rest of the state seems to be conservative.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
There is a joke here in Colorado that Boulder is 35 square miles surrounded by reality...Those people who have either visited or have lived in Boulder know there is a bit of truth in that statement actually.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 AM

250 posts, read 246,056 times
everything north of sacramento can go directly to hell

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
everything north of sacramento can go directly to hell
I thought Sacramento was hell... Actually I think that Stockton,and Santa Ana share that honor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City