Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM

45 posts, read 49,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
No but I heard about it.. Not just Pittsburgh, but NYC and Philly had some dealings with Norfolk via Richmond. I heard in the 80s and 90s crack dealers and kingpins used to cruise the strip too.
The cats from Pittsburgh ran NY and DC off of Reservoir and Spartan Village. I watched many a shootout and bombing from my window.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochieReaves View Post
The cats from Pittsburgh ran NY and DC off of Reservoir and Spartan Village. I watched many a shootout and bombing from my window.
Ha I was just at Spartan Market the other day..It's crazy ain't it lol. the police call on the intercom every 30 or so minutes to make sure everything is okay.. Norfolk still has a crack problem, but I'm glad it aint like back in the day. I wasn't here when that was happening

Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 49,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Ha I was just at Spartan Market the other day..It's crazy ain't it lol. the police call on the intercom every 30 or so minutes to make sure everything is okay

They had a flood over there (Spartan Village) the other week I heard.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochieReaves View Post
They had a flood over there (Spartan Village) the other week I heard.
Yeah they did..All the residents went to the city council saying it's their fault and they need food stamps becuse their houses flooded.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
What everyone here refers to as the "Southside" is an indoor mall + row of 4 or 5 bars in a strip. It's like a square block to get drunk in, big deal. Also note the cultural district map linked above- you will notice the cultural "district" is like 3 square blocks. They have no concept of scale out here, go down the 16th street mall of Denver, it's a pedestrian mall that runs 15 blocks straight, with shops down the side streets on many. Try walking down Colfax in downtown Denver for bars, you will walk past several music venues and bar after bar with cultural notes in each for miles.

Pittsburgh claims 2.5 million people in it's metro, what it doesn't say is that metro is a whole bunch of small towns with nothing in them, completely seperated from eachother. Full of people who don't want an urban lifestyle so they never build densely, while the densely built areas are in rapid exodus (5 straight decades of decline in the Pittsburgh limits, which is where the downtown resides).

What's Pittsburgh like? It's a small town, with lots of other small towns nearby. Many folks like small towns, you may be one of them. Shrug.
WOW! What a very very very ignorant post. It seems like you know nothing of pittsburgh at all. Pittsburgh isn't dense, compared to denver. Uhhh, Denver has nothing like the South Side, Lawerencville, Oakland, and so on. No, Capitol Hill is no where near as urban as most Pittsburgh hoods, and it is Denver's most urban along with uptown, and 5 points.

The southside is a mall and 5 bars? Dude, you mean station square, and that is like 1% of the southside. Did you ever walk down Carson st? Jesus, man, there is like 75 bars, nightclubs, theaters, etc down it. Are you sure you been there besides just station square? I mean dude, seriously?

The 16th street mall is chains in Denver. Colfax sucks because it is all destroyed and big boxy chain stores. The fillmore, the ogden, and others along colfax were awesome though.

You are right about Pittsburgh being like small towns close together. It is like that because of the topography. However, you are completely wrong about everything else. I mean WOW! You seem to have no appreciation, understanding, or knowledge on urban environments at all. Just because Pittsburgh isn't on flat land and sprawls forever like the Denver metro doesn't mean it is small. Pittsburgh is more urban dense then most of Denver. All I can say is WOW!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,065 times
Please, nobody listen to Ryanswindle or that other guy. I have never seen so much ignorance and stupidity that plagues this forum. I still can't believe that I just read a description comparing Pittsburgh's southside with a indoor mall and 5 bars along a block. I mean, once you get past station square what he described, there is a mile and a half long street filled with nothing but bars, then a new development called the Southside works with all the trendy restaurants and bars. Is this guy seriously for real?

Then he lables the 16th st. mall in Denver as culturally cool! WOW! Why can't anybody ever give a intelligent good decription without such stupidity on this forum. Seriously. Notice how he can't describe the architecture in the golden triangle, or Oakland. Notice how lame and wrong his description is. If you do post intelligent things on this forum, then you are banned. The mods here like pure stupidty with no intelligent insight posted on this forum.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
All city-specific topics belong in the room designated for that city, not city vs city.

However, since the original question basically seems to be asked to stir up the pot and get reactions from people, I'm not going to subject the people in the Pittsburgh room to it. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City