Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly over SF all day long!
DC sucks! All day and all night!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You are once again My first post was more than fair as stated...San Francisco got first billing for thread title, Poll options and first pictures etc. in my first post.

You are trying to I hear no arguments or emperical data or pictures...from some posters...only insults and innuendo. You know all 800,000 residents; they don't do that...OMG!
Go back and read your own posts. Or even those I've quoted you on. You are the innuendo champion of this thread. I could have respected you more if you were at least up front with your disdain rather than using veiled insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, how many posts do you have on this thread? 20? Looks like someone is trying to egg something on and then act like a little angel.
I fully agree, and it would be nice if this poster had the integrity to admit what she/he/it was up to when doing so. This whole martyr act that came later is completely transparent. The agenda here appears to be intentionally making SF look bad by implying things to make us react and then jumping at the chance to label us the aggressors when we say anything.

The little compliments paid to SF the OP keeps referencing don't count for a whole lot when statements made by people who aren't even from SF were counted as "mud-slinging" by San Franciscans, and then followed up with little snide comments claiming that behavior "tells you something" about us. The OP's intentions here were obvious.

Quote:
Honey, your going to wait till the cows come home before they acknowledge that. Its a very sore point for them.
Lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What a surprise another new account.
Yeah the trolling is really lame and is just furthering the agenda of the OP. It would be nice if the rest of those posting in this thread would learn to differentiate between that one obvious troll and the rest of us though.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Now was that so hard...no innuendos...just your opinion said tactifully.

And after I praised San Francisco in my opening post.
Your constant referencing of this praise just makes it more and more obvious that you only did that to fit your agenda. If you're so in favor of tact and a lack of innuendos then maybe you should ATTEMPT to apply either one. Again, you are the only one making innuendos here, and your tact has been terrible. Your compliments were a complete farce, and those you took offense to said what they said outright. Who else made any innuendos, aside from you?

Last edited by jman650; 08-26-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Do you know how many times people on this forum have called my home, LA the following:

-a third world cesspool
-an over glorified suburb devoid of culture; not a “real city”
-a city full of fake, plastic, superficial morons

There are tons of immature posters on this forum and they really bring down the atmosphere. So I agree with you. However, when so-and-so from St. Louis says makes an ignorant comment, that tells you something about that particular poster, not the city of St. Louis or where ever they are from. That’s the point I was making.
Exactly! Can you imagine how many pages of whining we'd have to read by the uproar that would be caused in reaction to people talking that same amount of crap about Philly here?? You make an excellent point here, and thank you for pointing this out.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Let me tell you. The self adulation of SF residents is nothing short of loathsome. It makes an outsider want to puke.

Get over yourselves! I hope you blowhards choke on your own self-indulgence.Unbelievable.
Oh I know exactly what you mean! I just wish us SF residents had the class and humility of some of you East Coasters! Like these guys:

Quote:
Philly all day long! East Coast feel; better history; better transportation; proximity to DC & NY. Center City is a gem. Philly also feels bigger.
Quote:
Philly over SF all day long!
Quote:
Philly is a bit bigger, better skyline and ethnic foods and bigger economy
No self-adulation to found here!

Who specifically on this thread from SF was "loathsome" by being so self-complementary?? And seek help for your rock addiction if you for even one second are entertaining the idea that self-adulation is not 5 times as rampant in the NE than it is in SF. Talk about making people want to puke! How else in the world do you think anyone could possibly not have interest in NYC? Browse some of these threads and see how humble your brethren are and how well they are received by the masses when they act that way. I guarantee you there are exponentially more NE residents/promoters on this site that beat their chests and go on for days about how great they are than there are SF/Bay Area residents who even remotely do the same.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
According to the latest data released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. SF is gaining really fast on Philly--even at MSA Level its actually close. And how many more people does Philly have over SF?? And as far as per capita GDP and income, SF is considerably higher.

Philadelphia MSA GDP $311 Billion
Philadelphia MSA Personal Income $264 Billion
Per Capita GDP $53,495
Per Capita Income $45,499

San Francisco MSA GDP $292 Billion
San Francisco MSA Personal Income $257 Billion
Per Capita GDP $69,875
Per Capita Income $60,983
SF's per capita GDP is considerably higher than every metro thanks in large part to Silicon Valley and geography. 30 40 years ago SF was just another runt metro struggling along with everyone else. The Bay Area has rode a nice wave thru the last couple of economic booms. Take it for what it is and be grateful instead of grandstanding.

FWIW As of 2000 Philadlephias msa per capita GDP was behind only SF Bos NYC Wash Dc of the big metroes. Did they leave out the word "humility" in the dictionaries out there? Unbelievable.

With all that being said you can understand where a person from the Philadephia metro takes your cmsa boundaries with a grain of salt. Technically by imaginary boundaries The Bay Area is larger than Philadlephias metro, but you do realize boundaries not withstanding there is a larger economy at work surrounding the Philadlephia area. There are 30 million people living between NYC and Philadelphia which is roughly the same parameters of the Bay Area.

I personally dont see the sociological difference of SJ-Oak-SF than I do Philadlephia -Central Jersey-NYC. Youve managed to give yourself a nice little nickname, you managed to create an artificial boundary, but when its all said and done The Bay AREA doesnt compare to the NYC DC corridor which Philadlephia is right in the center of.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
I still say Philly! East Coast feel and urbanity. Much bigger city. Much faster paced city. SF is great but it really is laid back and slower than Philly. Phill also has a great personality and identity. Better transportation. Better educational institutions in the city. Four sports teams. Proximity to NYC & DC. What's around SF? Oakland and San Jose. Third and fourth tiered cities.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 08-26-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 AM

17 posts, read 16,225 times
53 - 19...

What a thrashing

Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyClark View Post
53 - 19...

What a thrashing
Wow another brand new account. Keep voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City