Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 AM

36,626 posts, read 67,140,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Wow, 7 Northern California counties in the top 20, 5 of which are in the Bay Area! That's crazy, but it doesn't completely surprise me. What surprised me the most is that 2 NC counties were so high on that list. There's a state that isn't reputed to have a lot of diversity. That's really interesting.

YIKES.

Thank you for finding that.

Fort Bend is actually a County in Texas(Suburban Houston)-sorry.

Highest Racial/ Ethnic Diversity
1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA
3 Kings, NY
4 Robeson, NC
5 Fort Bend, TX
6 Hudson, NJ
7 New York, NY
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

Lowest Racial/ Ethnic Diversity

1 Butler, PA
2 Blair, PA
3 York, ME
4 Kennebec, ME
5 Jefferson, MO
6 Washington, WI
7 Tazewell, IL
8 Medina, OH
9 Androscoggin, ME
10 Clermont, OH
11 Oswego, NY
12 Merrimack, NH
13 Livingston, MI
14 Penobscot, ME
15Westmoreland, PA
16 Rockingham, NH
17 Johnson, IN
18 Hendricks, IN
19 Wayne, OH
20 Sullivan, TN

Claritas Study Ranks Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Counties Nationwide; Analysis Shows California Leads Nation In Diversity Among Counties Of 100,000-Plus Population. | Government > Government Bodies & Offices from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices/6101769-1.html - broken link)

Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,746,018 times
Having read through most of this thread, I'm surprised at the bitter back and forth bickering that has gone on. Both of these cities are great testaments to the importance of the United States, though for very different reasons. Being from Northern California, I had to pick San Francisco, though as a Libertarian, I have to disagree mightily with the politics of the region (SF is still my favorite city, however). Despite the fact that Sacramento is far closer to me (and a very respectable city in its own right, being the state capitol and having a metro population in excess of 2 million), whenever anybody around here says "I'm going to the City," everybody knows they mean San Francisco. Growing up, San Francisco always represented the culmination of urbanity; if I was taking a long flight out of the country, I was leaving from SFO.

To me, San Francisco has always represented the ultimate example of a city in an improbable location. 800,000 people living on a spit of land that might comfortably support 100,000. To even live there, massive construction projects (both buildings and bridges) had to be completed. But that, of course, leads to its density and diversity. Driving in the City is a nightmare. It's one of the few West Coast towns that was laid out before the invention of the automobile (the city was founded in 1776), and it shows. But this gives it a charm and character that is hard to find out here. It's almost the best of both worlds. San Fran has the cutting edge feel of a hip West Coast town with history and grace of old East Coast money. Built almost directly on top of the San Andreas fault, it's a city that is living on the edge of disaster. Because, geologically speaking, its hazard is also the reason for its attraction (because of its diverse microclimates and topography), it exemplifies the frail and fleeting nature of beauty, and has to deal with the very real nature of its own mortality on a daily basis. The great earthquake of 1906 still looms large in the memory of this city, and its current inhabitants must reconcile their lives with the fact that a major disaster will strike the city again, and that the loss of life and property will be far more severe than it was a century ago, no matter how well we plan and prepare for the worst case scenario.

Interestingly enough, from my experience on this discussion forum, and from my experience with my European relatives, I find that there are as many people in love with the idea of San Francisco as there are people who love with the city itself. What is San Francisco really? Half the size of Philadelphia, it's 800,000 people living on a small peninsula jutting out into the frigid and temperamental Pacific Ocean. Nothing remarkable really. It's only the 12th most populous city in the United States, and just the 4th most populous in the state. The water is too cold to swim, and the fog ensures that the city is too cold for the famous sun worshiping the state is famous for. It's also extremely expensive, and hard to navigate. Crime rates are high, and the homeless population is always apparent. Why then, is the city considered so prominent on the world stage? When asked, my East German (before the Berlin Wall fell) relatives were quick to identify the Golden Gate Bridge as their most lasting impression of the United States. I find this odd, as I would have expected that they would cite the Statue of Liberty, Washington D.C., or even Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell (of Philadelphia).

What then, do we make of San Francisco? I don't exactly know. I can say, however, what it means to me. To me, it will always be "The City." It's the place I remember taking my first girlfriend for the weekend. It's the place I remember taking my European relatives to show them the amazing potential and accomplishments of the United States of America. It's the place I remember my parents taking me to show me the great achievements that science technology, and culutre have brought us. It's the most improbable city I can think of, but somehow desperate and lonely in its grandeur. San Francisco is like a beautiful woman. It's not practical, it's not something you can quantify with statistics or mathematics, it's not something you can control. It, like a force of nature, simply exists. Here are some thoughts others have had about San Francisco (mostly from here):

"San Francisco itself is art, above all literary art. Every block is a short story, every hill a novel. Every home a poem, every dweller within immortal. That is the whole truth."
-William Saroyan

"You look back and see how hard you worked and how poor you were, and how desperately anxious you were to succeed, and all you can remember is how happy you were."
Jack London, novelist and native San Franciscan,recalling his youth.

"You know what it is? San Francisco is a golden handcuff with the key thrown away."
-John Steinbeck

"Chicago is the great American city, New York is one of the capitals of the world, and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic; San Francisco is a lady"
- Norman Mailer

"It is hardly fair to blame America for the state of San Francisco, for its population is cosmopolitan and its seaport attracts the floating vice of the Pacific; but be the cause what it may, there is much room for spiritual betterment."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I'm here. "
-Billy Graham

"I love this city. If I'm elected, I will move the White House to San Francisco. I went to Fisherman's Wharf and they even let me into Allioto`s. It may be Baghdad by the Bay to you, but to me it's Resurrection City"
-Robert Kennedy

"Fancy a novel about Chicago or Buffalo, let us say, or Nashville, Tennessee! There are just three big cities in the United States that are 'story cities'— New York, of course, New Orleans, and, best of the lot, San Francisco." -Frank Norris

"We're crazy about this city.
First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us.
People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing.
Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco."
-John Lennon

"Somehow the great cities of America
Have taken their places in a mythology that shapes their destiny: Money lives in New York. Power sits in Washington. Freedom sips Cappuccino in a sidewalk cafe in San Francisco."
-Joe Flower

"I'm proud to have been a Yankee. But I have found more happiness and contentment since I came back home to San Francisco than any man has a right to deserve. This is the friendliest city in the world."
-Joe DiMaggio

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other, incites one to dream. "
-Georges Pompidou

"San Francisco is 49 square miles surrounded by reality."
-Paul Kantner of the rock band Jefferson Airplane

"The ultimate [travel destination] for me would be one perfect day in San Francisco. There's no city like it anywhere. And, if I could be there with the girl of my dreams, that would be the ultimate!"
-Larry King

"You are fortunate to live here. If I were your President, I would levy a tax on you for living in San Francisco!"
-Mikhail Gorbachev

Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,799,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
YIKES.

Thank you for finding that.

Fort Bend is actually a County in Texas(Suburban Houston)-sorry.

Highest Racial/ Ethnic Diversity
1 Queens, NY
2 Alameda, CA
3 Kings, NY
4 Robeson, NC
5 Fort Bend, TX
6 Hudson, NJ
7 New York, NY
8 Harris, TX
9 Los Angeles, CA
10 Dallas, TX
11 San Francisco, CA
12 Solano, CA
13 Santa Clara, CA
14 Cook, IL
15 Essex, NJ
16 San Joaquin, CA
17 Bronx, NY
18 San Mateo, CA
19 San Bernardino, CA
20 Fresno, CA

Lowest Racial/ Ethnic Diversity

1 Butler, PA
2 Blair, PA
3 York, ME
4 Kennebec, ME
5 Jefferson, MO
6 Washington, WI
7 Tazewell, IL
8 Medina, OH
9 Androscoggin, ME
10 Clermont, OH
11 Oswego, NY
12 Merrimack, NH
13 Livingston, MI
14 Penobscot, ME
15Westmoreland, PA
16 Rockingham, NH
17 Johnson, IN
18 Hendricks, IN
19 Wayne, OH
20 Sullivan, TN

Claritas Study Ranks Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Counties Nationwide; Analysis Shows California Leads Nation In Diversity Among Counties Of 100,000-Plus Population. | Government > Government Bodies & Offices from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices/6101769-1.html - broken link)
ALOT of CA. And quite alot of TX and NY.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,445,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Having read through most of this thread, I'm surprised at the bitter back and forth bickering that has gone on. Both of these cities are great testaments to the importance of the United States, though for very different reasons. Being from Northern California, I had to pick San Francisco, though as a Libertarian, I have to disagree mightily with the politics of the region (SF is still my favorite city, however). Despite the fact that Sacramento is far closer to me (and a very respectable city in its own right, being the state capitol and having a metro population in excess of 2 million), whenever anybody around here says "I'm going to the City," everybody knows they mean San Francisco. Growing up, San Francisco always represented the culmination of urbanity; if I was taking a long flight out of the country, I was leaving from SFO.

To me, San Francisco has always represented the ultimate example of a city in an improbable location. 800,000 people living on a spit of land that might comfortably support 100,000. To even live there, massive construction projects (both buildings and bridges) had to be completed. But that, of course, leads to its density and diversity. Driving in the City is a nightmare. It's one of the few West Coast towns that was laid out before the invention of the automobile (the city was founded in 1776), and it shows. But this gives it a charm and character that is hard to find out here. It's almost the best of both worlds. San Fran has the cutting edge feel of a hip West Coast town with history and grace of old East Coast money. Built almost directly on top of the San Andreas fault, it's a city that is living on the edge of disaster. Because, geologically speaking, its hazard is also the reason for its attraction (because of its diverse microclimates and topography), it exemplifies the frail and fleeting nature of beauty, and has to deal with the very real nature of its own mortality on a daily basis. The great earthquake of 1906 still looms large in the memory of this city, and its current inhabitants must reconcile their lives with the fact that a major disaster will strike the city again, and that the loss of life and property will be far more severe than it was a century ago, no matter how well we plan and prepare for the worst case scenario.

Interestingly enough, from my experience on this discussion forum, and from my experience with my European relatives, I find that there are as many people in love with the idea of San Francisco as there are people who love with the city itself. What is San Francisco really? Half the size of Philadelphia, it's 800,000 people living on a small peninsula jutting out into the frigid and temperamental Pacific Ocean. Nothing remarkable really. It's only the 12th most populous city in the United States, and just the 4th most populous in the state. The water is too cold to swim, and the fog ensures that the city is too cold for the famous sun worshiping the state is famous for. It's also extremely expensive, and hard to navigate. Crime rates are high, and the homeless population is always apparent. Why then, is the city considered so prominent on the world stage? When asked, my East German (before the Berlin Wall fell) relatives were quick to identify the Golden Gate Bridge as their most lasting impression of the United States. I find this odd, as I would have expected that they would cite the Statue of Liberty, Washington D.C., or even Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell (of Philadelphia).

What then, do we make of San Francisco? I don't exactly know. I can say, however, what it means to me. To me, it will always be "The City." It's the place I remember taking my first girlfriend for the weekend. It's the place I remember taking my European relatives to show them the amazing potential and accomplishments of the United States of America. It's the place I remember my parents taking me to show me the great achievements that science technology, and culutre have brought us. It's the most improbable city I can think of, but somehow desperate and lonely in its grandeur. San Francisco is like a beautiful woman. It's not practical, it's not something you can quantify with statistics or mathematics, it's not something you can control. It, like a force of nature, simply exists. Here are some thoughts others have had about San Francisco (mostly from here):

"San Francisco itself is art, above all literary art. Every block is a short story, every hill a novel. Every home a poem, every dweller within immortal. That is the whole truth."
-William Saroyan

"You look back and see how hard you worked and how poor you were, and how desperately anxious you were to succeed, and all you can remember is how happy you were."
Jack London, novelist and native San Franciscan,recalling his youth.

"You know what it is? San Francisco is a golden handcuff with the key thrown away."
-John Steinbeck

"Chicago is the great American city, New York is one of the capitals of the world, and Los Angeles is a constellation of plastic; San Francisco is a lady"
- Norman Mailer

"It is hardly fair to blame America for the state of San Francisco, for its population is cosmopolitan and its seaport attracts the floating vice of the Pacific; but be the cause what it may, there is much room for spiritual betterment."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I'm here. "
-Billy Graham

"I love this city. If I'm elected, I will move the White House to San Francisco. I went to Fisherman's Wharf and they even let me into Allioto`s. It may be Baghdad by the Bay to you, but to me it's Resurrection City"
-Robert Kennedy

"Fancy a novel about Chicago or Buffalo, let us say, or Nashville, Tennessee! There are just three big cities in the United States that are 'story cities'— New York, of course, New Orleans, and, best of the lot, San Francisco." -Frank Norris

"We're crazy about this city.
First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us.
People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing.
Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco."
-John Lennon

"Somehow the great cities of America
Have taken their places in a mythology that shapes their destiny: Money lives in New York. Power sits in Washington. Freedom sips Cappuccino in a sidewalk cafe in San Francisco."
-Joe Flower

"I'm proud to have been a Yankee. But I have found more happiness and contentment since I came back home to San Francisco than any man has a right to deserve. This is the friendliest city in the world."
-Joe DiMaggio

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other, incites one to dream. "
-Georges Pompidou

"San Francisco is 49 square miles surrounded by reality."
-Paul Kantner of the rock band Jefferson Airplane

"The ultimate [travel destination] for me would be one perfect day in San Francisco. There's no city like it anywhere. And, if I could be there with the girl of my dreams, that would be the ultimate!"
-Larry King

"You are fortunate to live here. If I were your President, I would levy a tax on you for living in San Francisco!"
-Mikhail Gorbachev
Great post.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Wow, I can't believe rainrock did that with Alameda County of all places. It lacks class and intellectual honesty.

That view of the Bay and GGB from the Berkeley/Oakland hills is absolutely world class. I can't say the same about Chester county no matter what picture they show me.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
I did read the thread. Its constant bickering from both sides. The truth is people have their preferences. Some chose philly over sf and vice versa. There was plenty of mudslinging from the san francisco side too, don't play yourself.
Thank you for an OBJECTIVE opinion; but I'm still cleaning my clothes....LOL.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I've never been to SF and have strong desire to visit one day -- and I can certainly see the allure with its gorgeous natural setting and very unique urban cityscape -- but if you don't think that Philly has its own advantages over or is at least competitive with SF in terms of higher education, cultural institutions, cost of living, urbanity, history, or relative proximity to boatloads of recreational sites, then you're clearly the one who's not being objective.
So true....as you stated earlier...Elitism...but I am mainly seeing it from one side.....and it is ruining the thread with the constant insults and condescending attitudes....and then twisting what people meant...very sad!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Doesn't surprise me any...listening to some posters here would stress out a "dead person".

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
San Francisco has gorgeous bay views and hilly terrain. The city has about 800,000 people and a metroploitan area of about 4.3 million.It's economy(GDP) ranks 15th in the world. It has Golden Gate Park and those stunning Bridges. It is our about our densest city with great weather and various ethnic groups. The skyline is pretty nice also. see... File:FinancialNorth.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....and.... File:SF From Marin Highlands3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also San Francisco is more liberal and I could only find these pictures. Feel free to post better pictures.

Philadelphia has a river running through it and complete ocean access..it also is still a vital manufacturing center. The city has about 1,400,000 people and a metropolitan area around 5.8 million people. It's economy(GDP) ranks 9th in the world. It has many pocket parks downtown and Fairmount Park...one of the nation's largest.(city parks) It too is a dense city, but not as dense as San Francisco. I has a tolerable 4 season climate, which many people prefer. It too has many ethnic groups and a good skyline. The city's center is a great asset and is essentially a more manageable Manhattan; one can walk center city easily.

San Francisco has that "West" coast feel; while Philadelphia has a Northeast feel to it and the city is older and filled with history. To see Philadelphia check... Philadelphia Skyline at Night : Photo Detail :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia .... and... File:GardenStreetBridgeSchuylkillRiverSkylinePhila delphiaPennsylvania.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia These are the only pictures I could find...Feel free to post your own.

I love both cities and I grew up in Pennsylvania; so I am a bit biased. I would call it a draw but center city Philadelphia is wonderful; so, by a hair I vote for Philadelphia.
If POSSIBLE....LOL...Say something positive about the city that you did NOT vote for.

I like the hills in San Francisco, because the terrain reminds me more of Scranton than Philadelphia, which, generally is fairly flat topography.

Can someone else do the same??????

Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,378,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
If POSSIBLE....LOL...Say something positive about the city that you did NOT vote for.

I like the hills in San Francisco, because the terrain reminds me more of Scranton than Philadelphia, which, generally is fairly flat topography.

Can someone else do the same??????
center city is most underrated downtown in the u.s. it packs a lot of punch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City