Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 36,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Central Park! Its nicer, more manicured, has more activities and the surroundings are much more upscale.

I especially love it in the winter.

Amazing Picture Dude!! Looks Like A movie
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 36,677 times
Central Park Is Nice But Its surrounded Buy Skyscrapers. That's the main problem lol

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
This may have been answered already but. Which is actually bigger? or are they the same size.

IMO it's hard to go against Central Park. But I've wandered probably every squar foot of Golden Gate Park as a kid so, I'm torn! lol

Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
This may have been answered already but. Which is actually bigger? or are they the same size.
Central Park: 843 acres
Golden Gate Park: 1017 acres

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
It would actually be a great place for SF to develop in the future. A highrise across from GG park could be a great address.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Golden Gate Park. The vegetation, flowers and trees, the amenities give the edge to GGP for me.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
The two parks actually have some significant differences. Central Park is pretty much an urban park through and through, both within the park and on the streets around the park. Golden Gate Park has a planned gradient from a more developed and urban eastern part to a wilder, more open western park. It's sort of hard to imagine a herd of buffalo in Central Park (outside the zoo).

The parks are located in different parts of their city. Central Park starts at the edge of Midtown and moves up next to some of the highest density, highest income neighborhoods in the city (country). Golden Gate Park starts about midway across San Francisco, in moderately high density neighborhoods (compared to Manhattan) and goes out to the western edge of the city at the ocean. Golden Gate Park would have to start at Civic Center to be comparable, or you'd have to move Central Park up to Washington Heights and Inwood. Central Park's character is heavily shaped by the fact that it's so .... central.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
If you told me I could only visit one of these two for the rest of my park-going life, I'd be happy, regardless of which one was chosen for me. Each is charming and alluring in its own way.

Central Park offers more of a contrast with its urban environment while Golden Gate Park's impact is lessened a bit visually by its spectacular environs. Still, both are oases of lush landscaping in dense urban environments. Central Park is engineered to be picturesque and doesn't disappoint. Golden Gate Park is more wild and naturally awe inspiring, with trees that seem otherworldly. CP is intertwined with its city and lives within its daily grind. GGP is more of an escape--less of a backyard to the City than CP is to NYC.

Both are incredible works of urban planning. Both are throwbacks to times when people valued both life balance and the simple beauty of their cities. Both were envisioned as statements of their cities' greatness.

CP is more lauded, in that its city needs it more than GGP's city needs it. CP is an island of sophistication, charm and beauty on an island of unforgiving urban crush. GGP is more of a grand garden--a place to celebrate fog rolling in or warm sunshine and swirly, chilly breezes, among flowers and towering trees. Both have diversions and world-class artworks on site. Both are healthy places to run, walk and meet people. Both inspire thoughts of a higher power's hand in their creation. Neither would or could be envisioned today. They are simply, masterpieces.

GGP has higher standards of natural beauty to live up to. It meets them with amazing attractions and a sensibility toward the picturesque that errs on the side of nature. CP has a heavier load to carry, buy lower standards of success in it expectations. It succeeds amazingly in framing perfect views of idyllic landscapes, just as designed. Different missions--both well accomplished.

Neither is "better" than the other. Both cities should be thankful they exist.

Last edited by dalparadise; 01-26-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 12,210 times
You forgot to mention:

CENTRAL PARK at 3:am on a Saturday night could very well get you mugged, raped or killed. And it's smaller

GOLDEN GATE PARK at 3:am on a Saturday night probably won't. And it's larger.

Golden Gate park is also open 24 hours, Central Park is not.

GGP for the win.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,662 times
i've lived in both cities - longer in nyc and the nyc metro area but i did spend a good 3 years in sf. i have to say, when i lived in sf i missed central park...when i moved back to ny i didn't miss gg park at all. gg park is nice and the japanese tea garden is beautiful, but the biggest advantage of central park is its accessability. it's a part of daily life to more new yorkers than gg park is for san franciscans.

1) location - its central location makes it the backyard for several densely populated neighborhoods. it's accessible to both east and west sides (which is probably the most significant "dividing line" in terms of public transit). north-south transit is a piece of cake...east-west can take longer despite shorter distances.

2) nyc's superior public transit makes central park way more easily accessible to anyone in manhattan without needing a car. let's be frank - it's a hassle to go hang out at gg park after work if you live in soma, lower pac heights, north beach, and much of the densely populated areas of sf.

3) the sidewalks running alongside the park are just awesome and lend themselves to many street musicians and artists who know there is a lot of foot traffic even in the evening.

gg park is a nice park by any means, but to most san franciscans...they have to make more of an effort to get there and make a whole trip out of it.

Last edited by bn1; 07-16-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City