Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Thats actually one of the coolest things about living on the East Coast, since you could literally drive from N. Va through MD, DE etc. all the way up to Mass in a little over 6 hour stretch. Yet the density is so great in almost each state along I-95. The thing is that you can almost notice the slight differences in each state or metro area your riding through even if its only an hour away from the next metro. i.e. Balt to Philly then South Jerz to North Jerz.
that's true. except that rural stretch from b'more to delaware gets a little rough..nothing to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,020 times
Having lived in big states (California, Pennsylvania) and small (Massachusetts) I must say I really don't get the question. It is easy to enjoy and be proud of location regardless of geographic size. One thing worth noting, is that in a smaller state, you can get a more complete and intimate feel for the place, along with a better sense of how it differs from the next state.

And of course the big thing, is making a liquor run to New Hampshire after the Mass stores have closed! Well, not such a pressing matter now that we can buy on Sundays, but at one time....

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
Knke,

You have obviously never been to the East Coast to make a statement like that especially coming from the midwest of all places. By your account, Alaska should have the most pride! The states you are questioning (NJ, MD, MA, CT) are some of the densest areas, richest per capita and culturally superior in the US.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
And of course the big thing, is making a liquor run to New Hampshire after the Mass stores have closed! Well, not such a pressing matter now that we can buy on Sundays, but at one time....
we used to do that too, but we traveled from uconn - closed on sunday in CT.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:44 PM

160 posts, read 774,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Maybe I said it wrong.

I never meant for it to seem like the larger a state is, the more pride there is. I just simply was wondering what it is like to live in an area where you can drive through a handful of states in the same time it takes to get to my grandmother's house, in the same state.
The Northeast is very urban and therefore very diverse. I live in MA and LOVE IT! Always something to do and see in the Bay State. Everyone's always in rush, but that's what makes it exciting. We are also one of the most "polished" states in the Northeast (Some would call it snooty or snobby) but we pride ourselves on our excellent educational facilities and highly sophisticated liberal and cosmopolitan character.

Most people who move to MA wouldn't leave for any reason besides our frigid winters!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
For example, MA drivers seem to have little patience for other New England drivers. Its a frequent thing with my family and friends to assume that every problem on the road is caused by some "idiot from Rhode Island." Its unfair and often said in jest, but a lot of the time it seems to be true, maybe because we are looking for it.
I do this all the time. Whenever something bad happens and it turns out to be someone from RI or NH I'm always like "figures". I don't usually call them an "idiot" though, usually a "$@&#^$@!*&!"

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Knke,

You have obviously never been to the East Coast to make a statement like that especially coming from the midwest of all places. By your account, Alaska should have the most pride! The states you are questioning (NJ, MD, MA, CT) are some of the densest areas, richest per capita and culturally superior in the US.

DCs finest, you obviously dont know what you are talking about because I have been to the East coast.

I stayed in Philadelphia, PA. Went to AC, NJ, and NYC, NY, and wilmington, DE, and DC. In a 6 day trip i stepped foot in 4 states and our capital. just kind of interesting to me i guess. I have also been to SD, then to LA, then to SF, and then even north than that without leaving California.. I know its just jurisdictions, but still interesting to me.

i know its not like "coool i'm in ____ now"" i get that.. but

Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
It should not have to take so long to get to grandmas house

Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
As others said, it's a dense and diverse region. In some parts of the country you can drive 20 miles and pass only a few houses. From here I can drive 20 miles (if i can get a car somewhere) and pass millions of people (it can also take 2 hours to make that drive). Every mile is a different community home to thousands of people with its own socioeconomic profile, its own identity, etc. Think of it as culture in concentrate. Here we are packed in close proximity the type of diversity you'd have to travel long distances to experience in very rural areas.

But despite the close geographic proximity, some of these places are psychologically very far. For example, when i lived in VA a town 20 miles away was a 20 minute drive through forest. Here, Stamford, CT is about 20 miles from me as the crow flies. But to get there I'd have to take 3 or 4 trains and it would take close to 2 hours. And there's much more stuff/people/places packed in between. Stamford might as well be 150 miles away.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,107 times
The difference is that these states have existed for a fairly long time and have built historic legacies. Many of them still keep their orginal european hertiage and if you look at a map of the northeast you would find that the states are smaller because there were so many identies with those people they needed seperation. Unlike midwestern states that have lost their distinctions and their history legacies in different regions of their state, these state still have it alive and well. In such a small state like CT, there are rivaleries between Hartford and Stamford and Bridgeport. Even Rhode Island has a huge rivalery with Providence and Warwick. Rhode Island is also the only state in the union to celebrate V-J day still and the wealthy in RI have low digit car numbers (below 100). Maryland has a great idenity with its swamps, coasts, Baltimore, Frederick and having a southern charm while keeping a northeastern apperence. New Jersey is not small in anyway although its identity has been diluted from New York and Philly. Also you wrote DE twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City