Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,628,282 times

Advertisements

Coming from a very large state, where everyone takes great pride in our borders, how do people from these states have any pride? I mean, the county I live in could fit Rhode Island and Connecticut in it.

All of the states I listed could all fit within my state....I guess my question is, since I just CANNOT imagine, being so close to so many different states.

To go north to south it would take 9 hours, and to go from SW NE would take longer, how do you enjoy your state when you can drive through it in a matter of an hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Coming from a very large state, where everyone takes great pride in our borders, how do people from these states have any pride? I mean, the county I live in could fit Rhode Island and Connecticut in it.

All of the states I listed could all fit within my state....I guess my question is, since I just CANNOT imagine, being so close to so many different states.

To go north to south it would take 9 hours, and to go from SW NE would take longer, how do you enjoy your state when you can drive through it in a matter of an hour?
I am not sure about all the states you mentioned.

But if you talk to people from New Jersey and even read their comments here on CD, you get the impression the state is so intertwined with New York and Pennsylvania, what your saying does not really matter to them.

Hmm I think "intertwined" is a word, lol.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM

505 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Well, first of all, you can't drive through Massachusetts in a matter of an hour. I can drive out of MA from where I am in about 20 minutes, but to go through the entire state from Provincetown to Williamstown would take considerably longer.

Massachusetts has a lot of pride. What does the relatively small size have to do with having pride?

Its very easy to enjoy my state and also benefit from proximity to others. I love Massachusetts, its historic suburbs, its coastline, the Cape, Boston, and everything else. Overall, people in MA are very proud of their state and love living here. I never hear people complain. Part of the problem with being so close to other states may be the little rivalries that develop. For example, MA drivers seem to have little patience for other New England drivers. Its a frequent thing with my family and friends to assume that every problem on the road is caused by some "idiot from Rhode Island." Its unfair and often said in jest, but a lot of the time it seems to be true, maybe because we are looking for it.

However, I like the proximity to other states. Its actually easier and shorter for me to get on the highway and go to Providence than it is to get to Boston. Its nice to have two great cities to go to so close to home. CT isn't too far away either. And people from MA who live close to NH love to go there to take advantage of tax-free shopping. So being close to other states has its benefits and I wouldn't really say there is a pride problem. If anything, it may lead to more pride in an attempt to distinguish ourselves.

Just like you said you can't imagine living in one of our small states, I can't really imagine living in a county that could fit RI and CT in it. How do you do it?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
It's not as shocking as you think.
Most of those states are some of the densest states in the nation (I.E New Jersey, Maryland, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut)
I live in North east NJ (one of the densest parts of the country), I'm 8 miles west of NYC, 15 miles north of Newark, Jersey City, and Elizabeth with Paterson 5 miles to the west of me.. I'm near almost all of NJ's biggest cities and near the country's biggest city.

There's so much density where I am with everything i need nearby. So we still have everything big places have, but it's all just more convinient for a lot of the NE.

Oh, and you'd be surprised how diverse the north east topography can be for such small states.
In NJ we have mountains in the NW, the shore along the ocean, one of the biggest waterfalls on the east coast, and urbanity in a lot of the NE and SW.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,825,195 times
It's called being a native of a state that matters. Some day maybe you will know what that is like.

BTW, what exactly is it about your state borders are you proud of? Are they all pink and frilly?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM

159 posts, read 509,553 times
I'm from New Mexico (much larger than Minnesota) and I don't understand what you're saying. If a state is small, theres no way it can have pride? Of course it can. A person from say, Rhode Island, can have jsut as much state pride as someone from Montana. Every state has something to be proud of

Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,628,282 times
Maybe I said it wrong.

I never meant for it to seem like the larger a state is, the more pride there is. I just simply was wondering what it is like to live in an area where you can drive through a handful of states in the same time it takes to get to my grandmother's house, in the same state.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM

505 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Quote:
Maybe I said it wrong.

I never meant for it to seem like the larger a state is, the more pride there is. I just simply was wondering what it is like to live in an area where you can drive through a handful of states in the same time it takes to get to my grandmother's house, in the same state.
You just pass through different states. Its just a border. It really doesn't make a big difference, other than being able to say, "Oh, cool, I'm in _______ now."

Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
Thats actually one of the coolest things about living on the East Coast, since you could literally drive from N. Va through MD, DE etc. all the way up to Mass in a little over 6 hour stretch. Yet the density is so great in almost each state along I-95. The thing is that you can almost notice the slight differences in each state or metro area your riding through even if its only an hour away from the next metro. i.e. Balt to Philly then South Jerz to North Jerz.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,825,195 times
Quote:
Maybe I said it wrong.

You are 2 for 2 in the "said it wrong" category! Wanna go for the trifecta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City