Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM

787 posts, read 1,692,361 times

Advertisements

I think they're definitely both urban in terms of density. Looked like a commercial node of the Lower Haight, though...plenty of businesses and activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,200,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post

For Ukranian Village type
"Damen and Division Chicago, IL"
Then hit enter and drag the guy to that intersection, then head SOUTH on Damen.
It would be a better comparison to head down Division since it, like Haight, is mostly a commercial street. Damen is mostly residential. Anyway, the Lower Haight looks more urban because it has narrower streets with less building set-back. In reality they are probably pretty even.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,443,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
It would be a better comparison to head down Division since it, like Haight, is mostly a commercial street. Damen is mostly residential. Anyway, the Lower Haight looks more urban because it has narrower streets with less building set-back. In reality they are probably pretty even.
Definitely a fair comparison, given what he said though I voted otherwise.

the narrower vs. wider streets is going to be everywhere though, Chicago just has wide streets period, at least compared to sf/nyc/boston, b/c of the obvious grid system after the fire.

often as much going on, but not as many bottlenecks.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

53 posts, read 141,632 times
San Francisco has more density, the buildings are lot-line to lot-line, in Chicago there are setbacks and gangways, etc. I much prefer Chicago to SF.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM

593 posts, read 1,758,820 times
Thats a good point...

Its a matter of personal preference. I have yet to go to Chicago but it looks like a cool, totally different kind of urbanity than San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandata View Post
San Francisco has more density, the buildings are lot-line to lot-line, in Chicago there are setbacks and gangways, etc. I much prefer Chicago to SF.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM

221 posts, read 796,633 times
Here's another fun one:

Type "16th and Mission San Francisco, CA"

Then head SOUTH on Mission...the stretch goes for a while (for at least what feels like a mile).

This, to me, is what Los Angeles SHOULD look like, if it had had better city planning.

Also, if you want the hipster, yuppie part of the Mission, go one street over to 16th and Valencia and head South for the same stretch.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 AM

593 posts, read 1,758,820 times
Just returned from Chicago and spent some time in Ukranian Village and East Village. Would definitely say Lower Haight is more urban, but I found Ukranian Village to be cooler...

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Just returned from Chicago and spent some time in Ukranian Village and East Village. Would definitely say Lower Haight is more urban, but I found Ukranian Village to be cooler...
How in the Sam Hill do you get more "urban" than the West Side of Chicago? Because there are gangways? (We used to stop and smoke in the gangways on the way to Catholic school, smoking squares not pot, it was 1960)

Well yeah, you have the young suburban transplants that are displacing the Ukrainians, Poles, Hillbillys and Italians, that's true. The people are getting less urban in nature; less neighborhood loyalty and tightness and more interest in trendy breakfast places than the local parish. But I'm guessing that's at work in San Francisco too.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 AM

203 posts, read 687,941 times
lol..i sense a bit of animosity from the chicagoers ... its like every one of them has an excuse as to why everyone else says SF is more urban(2nd densest in the nation)

that mission/16th area looks way cool...all the palm trees and urbanity ...etc

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
lol..i sense a bit of animosity from the chicagoers ... its like every one of them has an excuse as to why everyone else says SF is more urban(2nd densest in the nation)

that mission/16th area looks way cool...all the palm trees and urbanity ...etc

My point is what makes something urban? If we go purely by density then I reckon places like Mexico City and Calcutta are more "urban" than San Francisco and Chicago.

I would argue that any neighborhood in a large city is de facto "urban", even the Bronx.

Then we have the nature of the people who live in neighborhoods; is an "old neighborhood" full of people born in the city and carrying on traditional city ways more urban than a neighborhood of suburban transplants who seldom socialize with each other and put fences in front of their stoops?

Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City