U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which hood is worse
East St.Louis by a blowout 14 53.85%
East St.Louis but not by a lot 3 11.54%
Newark by a blowout 7 26.92%
Newark but not by a lot 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM

197 posts, read 20,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I know what you're saying, in NYC this has probably been the most violent years of the decade yet it's still down by a whopping 84 murders, if it did drop thats still a very unreal drop on my opinion. It's sad and I know it's not limited to Cleveland and NYC either.
LA,

Do you think LAPD imported Bratton for no good reason? The reason LA has seen significant drop in crime is the same reason NYC cleaned up in the 90's... I do not think anything is undereported in NYC, NYPD does the terrific job and as a result the city is better and safer than any time in its history.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM

4,556 posts, read 9,019,913 times
I'd rather live in Newark than:
Camden
Irvington
East Orange
Trenton

The notoriously bad area of Newark is Central Ward, and maybe Vailsburg too, but there's a leafy, suburban neighborhood called Forest Hill which is very very nice. Of course the energy of the Ironbound is great too.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 AM

5,974 posts, read 3,044,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The notoriously bad area of Newark is Central Ward, and maybe Vailsburg too, but there's a leafy, suburban neighborhood called Forest Hill which is very very nice. Of course the energy of the Ironbound is great too.
I lived in the Forest Hills section of North Newark and it was an excellent neighborhood with beautiful homes.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:34 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,401,500 times
East Louis

Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,191,905 times

Here comes another crime glorifying thread. Also, that video is of North St. Louis, not East St. Louis, IL.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,191,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
*Sucks Teeth*

Newark is safer than Minneapolis, Baltimore, Atlanta, and it's only has a bit of a higher crime rate than Milwaukee... But these cities i just mentioned are "totally fabulous" right!? When people think of Newark, they think it's one of the worst cities in America. It's acutally made the biggest stride than any other city in the nation when it comes to crime (it took the spot at #1 as Americas most dangerous city in 1996 to #20 in just 10 years) Cities like Detroit, Camden, St Louis, New Orleans and Cleveland havn't or barely did crap to safen up the city (I know safen isn't a word, but you get the point). People are stuck in the past about Newark, but if people would look over the shadow (NYC) you'd be able to see that it's a great city.

I honestly like Newark, especially its downtown and museums, and they also have the biggest cathedral in america located in one of the most beautiful urban parks (Branch Brook Park, one of the best placess to see cherry blossems during the spring in the country; search it in flickr and see how beautiful the park is), it also has a section called iron bound full of Portugese/Brazilian culture, but once you go towards the western parts of Newark you will find more of that typical stereotype of Newark, but you'd also find some of the nicest people at the same time. That city is also filled with hidden talent

Next time you hear "newark", think positive hahah
Great pictures, i'd much rather live there than in East St. Louis which is a total ghost town except for gangbangers, drug dealers, and prostitutes. East St. Louis makes St. Louis look bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:53 PM

7,616 posts, read 8,821,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
LA,

Do you think LAPD imported Bratton for no good reason? The reason LA has seen significant drop in crime is the same reason NYC cleaned up in the 90's... I do not think anything is undereported in NYC, NYPD does the terrific job and as a result the city is better and safer than any time in its history.
I agree that NYC got cleaned up a whole lot but I still feel ther is under-reporting going on, I'm not saying it's close to 3,000 murders like it used to but a drop of 84 is very significant when im actually witnessing more crime in 2009.

NYC needs that guy back to finish what he started .

Old 08-27-2009, 05:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,589,823 times
East St. Louis is the worst of the worst when it comes to small town ghettoes. Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Newark was EXTREMELY dangerous. The city has cleaned up its image quite a bit since then.

East St. Louis, however, is still a horrible place. This is the same city that had such a poorly maintained municipal sewer system that sewage used to come out of people's toilets and flood their bathrooms. No thanks.

I would live in Newark in a minute if I HAD to choose between these two cities.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM

4,114 posts, read 4,591,631 times
Default Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
East St. Louis is the worst of the worst when it comes to small town ghettoes. Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Newark was EXTREMELY dangerous. The city has cleaned up its image quite a bit since then.

East St. Louis, however, is still a horrible place. This is the same city that had such a poorly maintained municipal sewer system that sewage used to come out of people's toilets and flood their bathrooms. No thanks.

I would live in Newark in a minute if I HAD to choose between these two cities.
EXACTLY!

My god, I cannot believe so many people voted for East Saint Louis. It really shows a problem here on the general forums --- far too many people use stereotypes instead of their own general knowledge or simply doing a little research.

If you HAD researched East Saint Louis you would have noticed, just for starters, that the city has decayed so much it is down to barely over 2,000 people per square mile --- less than many suburbs. It can barely keep its city services running and has huge pollution problems that make redevelopment very difficult.

If you HAD researched Newark you would have learned about the Prudential Center, the art museums, one of the biggest ports in the USA, a huge airport, Branch Brook Park, the New Jersey Devils, etc.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,959,448 times
I can tell this topic is getting lost in translation, or lost in stupidity.
People still, still.............still think this topic has to do with St. Louis Missouri & not East St. Louis, Ill.
There is NO WAY IN HELL Newark is in worse shape than E. St. Louis, Ill.
Unbelievable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City