U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which hood is worse
East St.Louis by a blowout 14 53.85%
East St.Louis but not by a lot 3 11.54%
Newark by a blowout 7 26.92%
Newark but not by a lot 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM

240 posts, read 723,583 times
Default Battle of the Ghettos: East St.Louis, MO vs Newark, NJ

These two cities are probably the roughest ghettos in America right now when it comes to crime and all those other junk we don't want in our area. Which city do you think is worse in terms of crime, being more run down, gang issues??? I'm sure not all ghettos have all these problems at once. I've never been to East St.Louis but from what the people have been posting here, it sounds like a nightmare city. As an NJ resident, I would never live in Newark. If I had to choose to live in either one - I don't know what'd I pick. People get murdered in Newark everyday!!!

East St.Louis:

YouTube - hood

Newark:

YouTube - Behind The Scenes: Newark, New Jersey Gangland - 151 FEVA GANG

Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,416,305 times
East St Louis has to be the most overated "ghetto" in the country. It's small, it's run down, but there is not much there really.

There are much worse areas in North St Louis City, MO.

So, I choose Newark. But is Newark that bad? It might have some bad parts, but the downtwon area seems ok to me.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-26-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM

3,220 posts, read 5,645,402 times
Dont we have enough of these type of threads?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,973,134 times
Amen..

As for "people get murdered in Newark, everyday" is a total lie. I never heard of Newark having 365 + murders a year.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,759,186 times
Not even close.

Newark was ranked the #24 most dangerous city.. E. St. Louis had 20 homicides with only like 35,000 people. Although, cities like Compton, Youngstown, Gary, Flint, etc had around 40 murders for populations under 100,000 as well. New Orleans was unmatched last year though. East Saint Louis is pretty much exactly the same as East Cleveland.. except East Cleveland doesn't report crime anymore / half the city left.. so no one knows the actual crime figures there.

1 New Orleans, LA
2 Camden, NJ
3 Detroit, MI
4 St. Louis, MO
5 Oakland, CA
6 Flint, MI
7 Gary, IN
8 Birmingham, AL
9 Richmond, CA
10 North Charleston, SC
11 Cleveland, OH
12 Baltimore, MD
13 Miami Gardens, FL
14 Memphis, TN
15 Youngstown, OH
16 Atlanta, GA
17 Compton, CA
18 Orlando, FL
19 Little Rock, AR
20 Minneapolis, MN
21 Washington, DC
22 Philadelphia, PA
23 Jackson, MS
24 Newark, NJ
25 Milwaukee, WI

camden > newark

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,973,134 times
Newark is very dangerous, however, it does have a population of over 280,000 people. It is also nearly 30 sq miles. As with most cities that size, crime is usually concentrated in certain "pockets" of the city.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 PM

7,616 posts, read 8,819,409 times
I think Newark is worse because it's bigger and has more crime.

That rah rah rah and getting hype for the cameras is funny, when I was in Newark I didn't even know it was a bad area.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM

3,220 posts, read 5,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
East Saint Louis is pretty much exactly the same as East Cleveland.. except East Cleveland doesn't report crime anymore / half the city left.. so no one knows the actual crime figures there.
I find it hard to believe that they're not reporting murders

Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,958,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
East St Louis has to be the most overated "ghetto" in the country. It's small, it's run down, but there is not much there really.
The same could be said about Camden, NJ.................... It is very small (just barley passing the population standards to qualify as a candidate for the "Most Dangerous City"), yet people cite it yet & yet again C-D. 85 some odd thousand people.

Tell me the equivalent of the Ironbound section of NWK in E. St. Louis?
Tell me the equivalent of the Ivy Hill section of NWK in E. St. Louis?
Is there an opera house in E.St. Louis? One of the nations newest & raved about arenas in E.St.Louis?
One of Americas most profitable & busy seaports in E.St.Louis?
Is there a University Campus in E.St.Louis?
Stop it................................

Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,416,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The same could be said about Camden, NJ.................... It is very small (just barley passing the population standards to qualify as a candidate for the "Most Dangerous City"), yet people cite it yet & yet again C-D. 85 some odd thousand people.

Tell me the equivalent of the Ironbound section of NWK in E. St. Louis?
Tell me the equivalent of the Ivy Hill section of NWK in E. St. Louis?
Is there an opera house in E.St. Louis? One of the nations newest & raved about arenas in E.St.Louis?
One of Americas most profitable & busy seaports in E.St.Louis?
Is there a University Campus in E.St.Louis?
Stop it................................

Camden has done a lot with their downtown. The last time I was in Philly, the wife and kids when over there to the aquarium etc. They have other attractions too, light rail, new downtown buildings, a minor league baseball stadium etc.

Has any of that worked or is Camden still considered ghetto to the locals? We never felt unsafe or anything there. When cities attempt to fix their downtown areas, people should applaud that.

KCK (that's what we call it, but I'm talking about Kansas City, Kansas) here is similar to Camden, E StLouis, Newark, Gary, West Memphis etc. An older, smaller, blue collar suburb/city that has sort of turned ghetto. Well KCK has done nothing like what you see in Camden. When I go to Camden, I think wow, why has KCK not tried any of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City