Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM

117 posts, read 330,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
This is about popular music in general, not just hip-hop...or are you saying other genres of popular music (like Rock) became stale in the late 90's and early 2000s. Because I would agree with that, although saying ATL/No for 2000's is kind of a stretch.

Overall, 2000s was kind of a bad decade for music...
I hate this decade rap changed, it just isn't good anymore. It's all about girls, sex, money, and stupid dance moves now. Bring back the old 90's rap please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM

117 posts, read 330,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceywinters View Post
1960's - Detroit (Motown)
1970's - Philadelphia PA/Ohio ( Intruders, Teddy Pendergrass, Blue Magic, The Stylistics, The Three Degrees, Dee Dee Sharp, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic, Zapp & Roger Troutman, Slave)
1980's - Minneapolis ( THE MPLS SOUND RULED THE 80's - Prince Morris Day and The Time, Alexander O' Neal, Cherrelle, Sheila E., Vanity 6, SOS Band, Janet Jackson(Control & Rhythm Nation Albums Produced By Jam & Lewis) NEED I SAY MORE?
1990's - NY/CHI/MPLS/VA/MD/ATL/NO (YES! ALL SEVEN CITIES HAD IT POPPIN IN THE 90's - Mariah Carey (NY), Mary J Blige (NY), LL Cool J (NY), SWV(NY), De La Soul (NY), A Tribe Called Quest (NY), Wu-Tang Clan (NY), Bad Boy(NY), Nas (NY), AZ (NY), Jay Z (NY), Mint Condition (MPLS), Next (MPLS), R.Kelly (CHI), Crucial Conflict (CHI), Twista (CHI), Public Annoucemnt (CHI), Toni Braxton (MD), Missy Elliot (VA), Ginuwine (MD), Timbaland & Magoo (VA), Master P and No Limit Records (NO), LaFace Records (ATL), Outkast (ATL), Goodie Mob (ATL), Xscape (ATL).
2000's - MUSIC IS TERRIBLE NOW!!!
I agree with ht last part, Music is Terrible now!!! Thanks to the South.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 PM

268 posts, read 948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate 24 View Post

Music isn't terrible because of the south, maybe if your favorite northern or west coast artist would put out music that people like maybe people would buy it, New York is one of the most populated cities in the WORLD with triple and quadruple the population of most cities in the south and you mean to tell me they can't or maybe they just won't support their own so what does that say about your artists if you all aren't buying their music and judging by the location you typed in "The Murda" you probably are some young person who doesn't know what real music is, its amazing how some people trash what others like behind their screen names and safety of home.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
1950s: Memphis (Sun Records), NYC
1960s: LA (Byrds, beachBoys, Spirit); NYC (Dylan, L Spoonful, Simon&Garf, Velvet Und); Detroit (Motown); Memphis (Stax); San Fran (Dead, Jeff Airpl)
1970s: NYC (Television/Ramones/TalkingHeads); LA (Eagles/JacksonBrowne); Philly (TSOP); Miami (KC & Sunshine, Bee Gees); New Jersey (Springstein, DB's, Feelies)
1980s: Athens (REM, B-52's); Minneapolis (Prince, Replacements, Husker Du)
1990: Seattle (Nirvanna, Pearl Jam,etc)
Wow! I didn't know that the Bee Gees were from Miami.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Wow! I didn't know that the Bee Gees were from Miami.
They weren't born there, but they were based in Miami in the '70s which was when they had their most influencial sound. I remember hearing Barry Gibb say that the rythem of the causeway bridges in Miami was were they came up with the intro to Jive Talking.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM

155 posts, read 733,638 times
New York: Every decade!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:29 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
better technology, and larger populations in all parts of this country has allowed us to put sound studios in various cities resulting in cities from all parts of The United States + some out of country cities to be influential this past decade

Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM

292 posts, read 752,843 times
No way was LA as influential in the 60s as San Francisco.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
This is about popular music in general, not just hip-hop...or are you saying other genres of popular music (like Rock) became stale in the late 90's and early 2000s. Because I would agree with that, although saying ATL/No for 2000's is kind of a stretch.

Overall, 2000s was kind of a bad decade for music...
It did, it became very stale around the new century mark And no I'm not a big hip hop kind of guy either but for the 2000's, if you're not gonna give it to ATL/No then who the heck you gonna give credit to? I mean these studio produced and polished insta-bands and "artists" didn't come out of any specific region, just from specific producers. At least the ATL and New Orleans hip hop was a musical movement that had a large influence for a time.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Kidd951 View Post

errr you need to turn off that radio dial and get out more. As a matter of fact you have at your fingertips this amazing tool that can virtually take you around the world to discover a plethora of great music that does exist out there. Trust me it is out there, it just ain't bein covered in popular media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City