Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which provides the most Italian experience?
New York City 45 55.56%
San Diego 4 4.94%
Cleveland 12 14.81%
Mooca, Sao Paulo, Brazil 4 4.94%
South Philadelphia 24 29.63%
The Hill, St. Louis 8 9.88%
Baltimore 5 6.17%
La Boca, Bueno Aires, Argentina 9 11.11%
Taylor Street, Chicago 13 16.05%
Norton Street, Sydney, Australia 3 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New York City is definitely the best, though Chinatown has been leaking in more and more.

It's a shame what happened to Newark's 7th Ave which used to be its Little Italy section, it just disappeared over time... I never got to see it (i don't think i was even alive when it existed). I've heard good things about it from the past. Home of the biggest catholic cathedral in America
Here's a link about it if anyone is interested, Seventh Avenue, Newark, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Newark used to be very Italian influenced, especially in that area.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,805,930 times
I say New York but where's Boston' North End it should be on that list

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM

804 posts, read 2,393,439 times
San Diego's little Italy isn't even that good. It's like one small section and it dosent even look like Italy rather a plain and boring looking condo and loft area.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,187,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Are there even any Italians in San Diego? Cleveland St. Louis

Pittsburgh 16% Italian; Providence and Hartford 18%; Boston ~15% and these cities don't have better Little Italys than cities with under 5% (i.e. St. Louis; San Diego). (Metro area figures).

I'd say New Jersey itself is a little Italy.
Cleveland has a large Italian population, although most are in various suburbs. San Diego not so much.

The northeast definitely has the most Italian ethnicity.

FYI to all you fools making Pizza Hut comments about Cleveland, it has the 8th largest Italian population in the country.

http://www.cleveland.com/heritage/in...ly/italy1.html

As already mentioned the North End should be on this list. Also, I would think the La Boca would be very authentic considering Argentina's largest ethnicity is Italian.

San Diego's Little Italy should not be on this list. Chicago's is not that great either.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
I'm not really sure how San Diego made this list and not SF or Boston. It's nice for SD but compared to other cities with a much heavier presence of ethnic Italians, it's nothing I would put on a Top 10 list for Italian neighborhoods. I wonder what criteria they used and who they asked, maybe they asked a bunch of military men or something, who knows. Also I hope this is just a general list and not ranked list b/c placing SD at #2 is even more ridiculous than it making the list to begin with.

My two favorite Little Italies would definitely be SF and NYC. Both seem to have their respective Chinatown's encroaching on them more and more it seems though. Never been but Boston's North End sounds and looks pretty cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
San Diego's little Italy isn't even that good. It's like one small section and it dosent even look like Italy rather a plain and boring looking condo and loft area.
Better than not having one at all, like LA.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:38 PM

572 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Are there even any Italians in San Diego? Cleveland St. Louis

Pittsburgh 16% Italian; Providence and Hartford 18%; Boston ~15% and these cities don't have better Little Italys than cities with under 5% (i.e. St. Louis; San Diego). (Metro area figures).

I'd say New Jersey itself is a little Italy.
A little Italy isn't about how many Italians live in a metro area. It's about how many Italians and Italian type business' are conjugated in a certain area.
So if St. Louis' metro population is 5% Italian (140,000) and 10% of those live on "da Hill" then that's 14,000 Italians in less than a sq. mile.

And I agree, Boston's North End should have been included.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,805,930 times
^^ It should of

Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
^^ It should of
You guys are going to pickett AskMen.com

Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
New York City is hands down the best.. but I do LOVE Murray Hill in Cleveland.

And once again... ignorant people asking if there are Italians in Cleveland.. LOL... The Cleveland area has one of the largest Italian populations. Why do people like ainulinale make such dumb and uniformed comments when they have no idea what they are talking about.. Next thing ainulinale will tell me there isn't a large Puerto Rican population here either

Christ, most of the people I've met in Cleveland are either Italian or Irish... but I guess I wouldn't know because I'm not living here or anything.. LOL There needs to be an internet smackdown

Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
This threads a perfect example about how dumb the little kids on City Data are.. Do you people seriously know nothing about Cleveland yet comment on it anyway? WOW! LOL

Let me guess.. Cleveland and Youngstown didn't have some of the larger Italian Mobs too, right? Cleveland wasn't called "Bomb City USA" in the 70s because of so many Mob hits.. correct? Cleveland metro doesn't have the 8th most Italians, correct? Ohio doesn't have the 7th most Italians, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City