Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 11:27 PM

17 posts, read 10,830 times

Advertisements

Hi guys how are you? I’m about to leave Brooklyn NY and I’m looking something similar to any of the next cities or suburbs however it is called. Something similar to Buckhead, Brickell, Tysons Corner, Bellevue and Arlington. I’m more a walk oriented city guy but if car is needed I would not have any problem. I just want to hear your ideas.

Options for cheap, safe and walkable cities are open too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 11:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 2,180,042 times
You named some of my favorite spots in the US.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to add. Boston's Seaport District initially came to mind since it is somewhat similar to these places, but it's not a very big area and not quite as upscale. I'll be interested to see what other places are mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:41 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,439,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvitoro View Post
Hi guys how are you? I’m about to leave Brooklyn NY and I’m looking something similar to any of the next cities or suburbs however it is called. Something similar to Buckhead, Brickell, Tysons Corner, Bellevue and Arlington. I’m more a walk oriented city guy but if car is needed I would not have any problem. I just want to hear your ideas.

Options for cheap, safe and walkable cities are open too.

Thanks
I don't think any of those places are really like Brooklyn to be honest, nor are particularly cheap. Brickell and Bellevue probably the most dense areas.

When I think Brooklyn (At what it used to be), I think a place being alittle gritty, artsy, and filled with character. If you are looking in the Seattle area, Tacoma is a good comparison. Good transportation, near nature, and a really young and hip vibe right now.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,870,398 times
I'm getting that you like that very new-construction, high-rise, yuppie vibe. However that tends to be expensive, and you say you want affordability. I'd guess Buckhead is somewhat cheaper than the rest of your list although I'm not sure.

Generally, Chicago and Philadelphia are the cheapest big cities. I don't know much about Philly but in Chicago you could look into areas along the north lakeshore like Edgewater and Rogers Park.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:11 AM

17 posts, read 10,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm getting that you like that very new-construction, high-rise, yuppie vibe. However that tends to be expensive, and you say you want affordability. I'd guess Buckhead is somewhat cheaper than the rest of your list although I'm not sure.

Generally, Chicago and Philadelphia are the cheapest big cities. I don't know much about Philly but in Chicago you could look into areas along the north lakeshore like Edgewater and Rogers Park.
You got it very well in fact. Yes but the problem with Chicago is that I believe it is dangerous and the same is happening with Buckhead even though Buckhead is the cheapest from the list I think and very beautiful. Not sure about the safety but that is what I have read.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,439,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvitoro View Post
You got it very well in fact. Yes but the problem with Chicago is that I believe it is dangerous and the same is happening with Buckhead even though Buckhead is the cheapest from the list I think and very beautiful. Not sure about the safety but that is what I have read.
With common sense you should be fine in all those places but if crime is something you are worried about Bellevue sounds like a good spot.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:29 AM

6,549 posts, read 6,599,395 times
Lots of new office buildings? Edge city-ish?

Kendall Square, Pleasanton, Irvine, Thousand Oaks, Reston, Route 128/Mass Pike intersection, Roswell/Alpharetta, Richardson/Plano, Houston/Galleria, Austin/Arboretum, Tempe

Old 08-16-2021, 01:30 AM

488 posts, read 338,908 times
San Mateo in the Bay Area, Pasadena in LA County, Evanston north of Chicago, Fort Lauderdale north of Miami, St. Petersberg across from Tampa, Troy north of Detroit, etc.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:38 AM

13,971 posts, read 8,846,929 times
The closest thing to what I think you seek in the Philadelphia area would be King of Prussia, but it's not terribly walkable aside from the Village at Valley Forge, an Instant Urbanist island in an autocentric sea.

King of Prussia and Tysons Corner are often compared, as they are the two biggest edge cities on the East Coast. Tysons is the larger of the two, but KofP is no slouch.

If I had to choose from this list, Arlington, Bellevue and Brickell would be my choices. All three are fundamentally urban in form and quite walkable.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:29 AM

2,279 posts, read 2,180,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
San Mateo in the Bay Area, Pasadena in LA County, Evanston north of Chicago, Fort Lauderdale north of Miami, St. Petersberg across from Tampa, Troy north of Detroit, etc.
I’m not sure about all of these places, but St. Pete and Ft. Lauderdale really aren’t very similar to Bellevue, NoVA, or Buckhead. In Florida, apart from Brickell I think Tampa’s Waterstreet is probably the closest thing but it’s not nearly big enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City