Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Jeez - things DC can't offer?? As another poster claims - SF is an equivalent to Paris - LOL!!!
Actually SF is up there with and sometimes above Paris as top destinations of the world that people love. DC is never on any such lists.

Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2009/results.cfm?cat=cities - broken link)

Quote:
It's all good. I don't even want to waste the time to explain how a few of these SF posters are in major delusion of DC and especially of SF.
yes, tell the entire world they are wrong and Northeastern Boosters are right---good luck with that

Quote:
Have you and a few of the others have ever traveled outside of SF??
Precisely why its so easy to make such statements-Ive seen the world and SF pretty much deserves all the accolades it gets-and those who never get such attention, really don't deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Actually it is true. SF has been very popular with international tourists. In 2007 DC had 901,000 International arrivals while SF had 1.6 million

Top 10 – The Most Visited US Cities in 2007 « [ tourism to-be ]
wow, ok

who would've thought...

Old 09-19-2009, 07:33 PM

330 posts, read 877,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually SF is up there with and sometimes above Paris as top destinations of the world that people love. DC is never on any such lists.

Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2009/results.cfm?cat=cities - broken link)

yes, tell the entire world they are wrong and Northeastern Boosters are right---good luck with that

Precisely why its so easy to make such statements-Ive seen the world and SF pretty much deserves all the accolades it gets-and those who never get such attention, really don't deserve it.
There are many lists:

Most visited by tourists:

DC's national mall is number 2 after time square - that's 25 million visitors: Tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most visited cities - SF isn't even mentioned: 30 Most Visited Cities

Again on Forbes - DC is second after NYC: Forbes Traveler 50 Most Visited Tourist Attractions List - ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-tourist-attractions-slide-2.html?thisSpeed=25000 - broken link)

I don't mean to take the attention away from Baltimore and Oakland, but just to answer a few of the delusionist SFers.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
There are many lists:

Most visited by tourists:

DC's national mall is number 2 after time square - that's 25 million visitors: Tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most visited cities - SF isn't even mentioned: 30 Most Visited Cities

Again on Forbes - DC is second after NYC: Forbes Traveler 50 Most Visited Tourist Attractions List - ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-tourist-attractions-slide-2.html?thisSpeed=25000 - broken link)

I don't mean to take the attention away from Baltimore and Oakland, but just to answer a few of the delusionist SFers.
Excuse me, Im talking about cities people actually LIKE.

Any tom, dick and harry can visit the Lincoln Memorial, but apparently it isnt memorable enough for them to say so when asked by magazines and travel surveys.

I'm talking about this...
San Francisco tops list of best U.S. cities, again

TORONTO (Reuters Life! 2009) - San Francisco may not be the biggest U.S. city or have the bright lights of New York, but it's once again captured the hearts of travelers, named the best U.S. city in a survey by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
Over 28,000 people voted in the annual Readers Choice Awards conducted by the magazine which asked people to name their best cities, hotels, airlines, cruise lines and resorts.
"San Francisco, the No 1. U.S. city, has also been No. 1 for 17 of the past 18 years," the magazine said in a statement.

In those rankings where people are asked their actual opinion, SF is in a league above DC. Sorry.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, Im talking about cities people actually LIKE.

Any tom, dick and harry can visit the Lincoln Memorial, but apparently it isnt memorable enough for them to say so when asked by magazines and travel surveys.

I'm talking about this...
San Francisco tops list of best U.S. cities, again

TORONTO (Reuters Life! 2009) - San Francisco may not be the biggest U.S. city or have the bright lights of New York, but it's once again captured the hearts of travelers, named the best U.S. city in a survey by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
Over 28,000 people voted in the annual Readers Choice Awards conducted by the magazine which asked people to name their best cities, hotels, airlines, cruise lines and resorts.
"San Francisco, the No 1. U.S. city, has also been No. 1 for 17 of the past 18 years," the magazine said in a statement.

In those rankings where people are asked their actual opinion, SF is in a league above DC. Sorry.
LOL! You mean the cities that you and your fellow SFers like. I'm a native of your place so I know better than your Tom, Dick and Harry. LOL. I wonder then why then all these people made DC national mall then umber 2 spot in the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism

Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
LOL! You mean the cities that you and your fellow SFers like. I'm a native of your place so I know better than your Tom, Dick and Harry. LOL. I wonder then why then all these people made DC national mall then umber 2 spot in the world: Tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for ignoring what I'm saying. Not a surprise. It sucks being wrong I know.

Yes only SFcans answer international travel surveys that magazines send to their subrscribers around the world. We go to mailboxes around the world just to steal their ballot so we can vote for SF.

Look, you live in a very important place--congrats.

SF is more loved.

Get over it.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:

I was just looking at your list on Travel + Leisure: Cape Town, Bangkok,
Buenos Aires in the top 3. Come on - can't you come up with a better list?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I was just looking at your list on Travel + Leisure: Cape Town, Bangkok,
Buenos Aires in the top 3. Come on - can't you come up with a better list?
That you would even make such a sophomoric statement speaks volumes.

Cape Town(Ive lived there), Bangkok and Buenos Aires are incredibly unique, vibrant and colorful places that are very memorable.

Perhaps you should google 'how to apply for a passport?'

Old 09-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
That you would even make such a sophomoric statement speaks volumes.

Cape Town(Ive lived there), Bangkok and Buenos Aires are incredibly unique, vibrant and colorful places that are very memorable.

Perhaps you should google 'how to apply for a passport?'
You're right. I haven't visited those place and the only info I have on them is what I have seen of them on TV. I just never thought that Cape Town or Buenos Aires would be on the top 3 list in the world. I would have thought your city of SF and my old place of SF would be above those places. I definitely thought NYC, Paris, London, and so on would be much above the list on the magazine that you quoted.

Okay. I give up. You win.

I guess let the topic get back to Baltimore and Oakland.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You're right. I haven't visited those place and the only info I have on them is what I have seen of them on TV. I just never thought that Cape Town or Buenos Aires would be on the top 3 list in the world. I would have thought your city of SF and my old place of SF would be above those places. I definitely thought NYC, Paris, London, and so on would be much above the list on the magazine that you quoted.

Okay. I give up. You win.

I guess let the topic get back to Baltimore and Oakland.
Um, okay.

I think its awesome to travel to far off places at least once a year-maybe once every two years. Planning is part of the fun. If cost is an issue, then save up. We owe it to ourselves to see this big world.

btw, there are no winners in this discussion-we debate and argue and now I know how popular DC is--didnt know it had that many visitors.

As far as Baltimore and Oakland-can we swap football teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City