Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select all states that fit your definition of "west coast"
California 40 60.61%
Oregon 3 4.55%
Washington 11 16.67%
Hawaii 0 0%
Alaska 2 3.03%
Arizona 4 6.06%
Nevada 2 3.03%
Idaho 1 1.52%
Montana 0 0%
Wyoming 0 0%
Utah 1 1.52%
Colorado 1 1.52%
New Mexico 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
There's several states that can be considered "the west" that don't actually border the Pacific ocean. I consider Colorado and parts of Texas to be "the west", but I don't consider them to be part of the west coast.

So when you hear "west coast", which states come to mind?

I think of California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Nevada.

Edit: OK, just kidding I screwed up the poll so ignore it and post your list in your reply!
I'd say Alaska(technically) and California, Oregon and Washington.....Guess I'm "old school"...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
The West Coast is only the west coast. Washington, Oregon, and California. The "left" coast. The reliably blue states. Who doesn't know that? It's simple. Common knowledge.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
The West Coast is only the west coast. Washington, Oregon, and California. The "left" coast. The reliably blue states. Who doesn't know that? It's simple. Common knowledge.
Yes, I'm not sure why this debate seems to continue. It isn't that hard. The only questionable aspect to it would be Alaska. But I think even that is simple...the west coast of the North American continent should indeed include Alaska. The west coast of the lower 48, from a geographical standpoint, is WA, OR, CA...plain and simple. Reliably "blue" states, well, not always the case...WA voted for Reagan in '80 and '84, but I digress.

Perhaps the argument goes beyond geography and more toward "cultural", but that becomes much more subjective.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That same argument can be applied to Phoenix. Tucson looks and feels more like Southwestern city while Phoenix feels and looks more like LA and California. There are many LA residents in Phoenix that moved here in droves starting in the 90's. There are tons of LA natives in Phoenix. I don't see how you can distinguish between Phoenix and Las Vegas because they look pretty much the same with the exception of the strip.

To me, the term West Coast refers to a region not a specific geographic location. That term is used to describe a certain culture. It involves culture, appearance, accents etc. Therefore, I include California, Oregon, Washing, Nevada, Arizona and Hawaii. I don't include Alaska, Idaho and Utah because culturally and physically they look a lot different. When you look at Phoenix and many parts of Southern California, it looks identical. Palm Springs is no different than Phoenix. I don't think the term West Coast literally means on the coast or else. If that definition applies, they you have to eliminate Fresno, Palm Springs a lot of the inland cities in California since they are essentially desert cities.

There is a reason Arizona colleges play in the Pac 10. There is a reason the Suns play in the Pacific conference. There is a reason the Cardinals play in the NFC WEST. Arizona is on Pacific time most of the year. There is a reason Hawaiian Airlines doesn't go further east than Phoenix and includes it in its regular flights. When you can drive from Phoenix to San Diego, and Southern California in 4-5 hours that's say something, you can't do that in Texas. Las Vegas and Phoenix looks and has more in common with Southern California than Portland that's for sure.. LOL..

so going by your theory, Albuquerque is Southern cause there are alot of Texans here, or Albuquerque is Northeastern cause there are alot of people here from New England.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
a place located on western coastal area of the USA?
is this a trick question?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes, I'm not sure why this debate seems to continue. It isn't that hard. The only questionable aspect to it would be Alaska. But I think even that is simple...the west coast of the North American continent should indeed include Alaska. The west coast of the lower 48, from a geographical standpoint, is WA, OR, CA...plain and simple. Reliably "blue" states, well, not always the case...WA voted for Reagan in '80 and '84, but I digress.

Perhaps the argument goes beyond geography and more toward "cultural", but that becomes much more subjective.
Yes, I diverged into culture... Oops! If one watches pundits on TV talk about the West Coast today, they are generally not referring to heavily-Republican Arizona or libertarian Nevada. I think it is pretty obvious that, in contemporary terminology, "West Coast" has a certain political implication that people associate with things like Oregon's bottle bill and urban growth boundaries, the NW's death with dignity laws, San Francisco's, Portland's, and California's attempts at gay marriage, California's medical *cough* marijuana dealio, and Seattle's fining you for not recycling certain recyclables, and other things accorded to have "San Francisco values," etc.

And I totally agree about Alaska. British Columbia and Baja California and Baja California Sur would also all be West Coast under a strict geographical definition.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Thumbs up and the winner is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Yes, I diverged into culture... Oops! If one watches pundits on TV talk about the West Coast today, they are generally not referring to heavily-Republican Arizona or libertarian Nevada. I think it is pretty obvious that, in contemporary terminology, "West Coast" has a certain political implication that people associate with things like Oregon's bottle bill and urban growth boundaries, the NW's death with dignity laws, San Francisco's, Portland's, and California's attempts at gay marriage, California's medical *cough* marijuana dealio, and Seattle's fining you for not recycling certain recyclables, and other things accorded to have "San Francisco values," etc.

And I totally agree about Alaska. British Columbia and Baja California and Baja California Sur would also all be West Coast under a strict geographical definition.
my vote is for this post & any resembling it.

kate

Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
I have a question for people responding from So Cal. Why do some of you include Vegas and exclude phoenix? I would submit that Phoenix has far more similarities to LA-SD-Vegas than it does to "Southwestern cities" like Albuquerque, El Paso, or even Tucson. IMO if you include one you have to include the other when talking about Vegas and Phoenix. I could buy the argument that Arizona excluding Phoenix is not West coast culturally speaking but I think Phoenix is.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I have a question for people responding from So Cal. Why do some of you include Vegas and exclude phoenix? I would submit that Phoenix has far more similarities to LA-SD-Vegas than it does to "Southwestern cities" like Albuquerque, El Paso, or even Tucson. IMO if you include one you have to include the other when talking about Vegas and Phoenix. I could buy the argument that Arizona excluding Phoenix is not West coast culturally speaking but I think Phoenix is.

you must really want to associate yourself with the California culture, you must be a Phoenix resident who wants to associate your city with something bigger and better so you call yourself West Coast.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 AM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
Funny I get the same feeling about you. You desparately want to associate Albuquerque with Phoenix even though the cities aren't that similar. Tucson, yes but Phoenix I don't think so. It's not a case of trying to be something were not. Phoenix does have very close ties to the west coast whether you choose to believe it or not. Part of the definition of a region is similar culture plus how much interaction there is between different cities and areas. We have tons of Cali plates in this city and I can probably count on one hand the number of N.M. plates I see each year. It is incredibly common for locals in Phoenix to go to LA or Vegas for the weekend or spend a week or two in San Diego during the summer. These places are all a 4-5 hour drive away. I can't ever remember someone telling me they're going to Albuquerque for the weekend or spending a week in El Paso. I know you hate Phx for whatever reason but to tell you the truth I couldn't care less about Albuquerque. Passed through it once and didn't really have much opinion one way or the other. It definitely felt like a much different area to me unlike when I'm in So Cal or Vegas. I feel the same way in Tucson too. I think Alb., Tucson, and El Paso are like triplets but Phx. has a different vibe and culture altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City