Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Berkeley or Cambridge: Where would you rather live?
Berkeley 50 54.35%
Cambridge 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Although this poll is clearly trying to avoid it...I have to say this is basically a question of would I rather live next to San Francisco or Boston.
I wouldn't say that's necessarily the case since it's not so uncommon to within the city bounds, seldom venturing into SF/Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,805,930 times
Cambridge

Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,089,105 times
Berkeley

Professor Gates tarnished Cambridge by his racist actions for me although Cambridge is still ok

Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM

58 posts, read 122,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Berkeley

Professor Gates tarnished Cambridge by his racist actions for me although Cambridge is still ok
what did he say exactly? "i'll meet your mama outside" ha ha ha

i still blame the cop for lack of professionalism

i know, i know - NOT the forum for that discussion

Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The homeless and activism there just get on my nerves. And do so many people really need to dress like a freakin hippie there? Never seen such a high concentration of upper middle class white kids with dreadlocks anywhere else.
I'm with you on this one. I absolutely hate homeless people. I understand people fall on hard times, have mental disabilities, etc, etc. Those homeless people I can somewhat tolerate. But the old dude who wears a neck brace next to South Station and has a cane with him (he carries the cane BTW, he doesn't actually use it) and wears new clothes everyday should be beaten up. Same goes for homeless people that aren't even homeless. This past winter I would see this guy who needed "a dollah so I can get sumthin to eat", but he was decked out in a Carhartt jacket and was wearing Timberland boots. I remember seeing some guy handing him a $20, and I almost stopped to argue that he should give the money to me instead. I want to punch those people in the face.

Don't get me started on wealthy white kids who wear dreadlocks. You've got a trust fund dude, don't tell me what's wrong with the world. Just because you smoke a boatload of pot and listen to Bob Marley doesn't make you a Rasta. If you went to Kingston you'd be stabbed in the face with a rusty knife. I can see Berkeley being packed with those types of kids...Burlington, VT is.

Wow, I'm angry this morning.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:44 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Yeah it kind of annoys me those with privilege who say they want to change the world, abuse it by being some kind of hipster,scenester, pot head... its like hey, if I had connections and the money like you I'd go get a phd from some ivy league school then go actually change something...

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm with you on this one. I absolutely hate homeless people. I understand people fall on hard times, have mental disabilities, etc, etc. Those homeless people I can somewhat tolerate. But the old dude who wears a neck brace next to South Station and has a cane with him (he carries the cane BTW, he doesn't actually use it) and wears new clothes everyday should be beaten up. Same goes for homeless people that aren't even homeless. This past winter I would see this guy who needed "a dollah so I can get sumthin to eat", but he was decked out in a Carhartt jacket and was wearing Timberland boots. I remember seeing some guy handing him a $20, and I almost stopped to argue that he should give the money to me instead. I want to punch those people in the face.

Don't get me started on wealthy white kids who wear dreadlocks. You've got a trust fund dude, don't tell me what's wrong with the world. Just because you smoke a boatload of pot and listen to Bob Marley doesn't make you a Rasta. If you went to Kingston you'd be stabbed in the face with a rusty knife. I can see Berkeley being packed with those types of kids...Burlington, VT is.

Wow, I'm angry this morning.
White kids in Berkeley seem to fall into 3 categories.
1. Dread Lock Donning Soccer Players whose parents take them to Free Tibet Rallies.

2. The kind that wear all black and don't go to school, but instead ride around on skateboards all day.

3. For lack of a better expression, the kind that 'act black'--no disrespect.

In all cases, its just a matter of their environment. Its not fake, that's just how they were brought up.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1. Dread Lock Donning Soccer Players whose parents take them to Free Tibet Rallies.

2. The kind that wear all black and don't go to school, but instead ride around on skateboards all day.

In all cases, its just a matter of their environment. Its not fake, that's just how they were brought up.
Yeah I don't think it is anything to do with being fake, it is just like the gangster in the impoverished neighborhood... for most people they are a product of their environment. Also in Berkeley and continued all the way up to Portland there IS that scene, that is just the lifestyle and subculture. You wouldn't say the crips aren't keeping it real anymore than these guys and girls are, that is just what they are. Some do make it bad for others, and I realize that scene is not really prominent anywhere else in the country so, if you aren't used to it, shouldn't be so quick to judge all the time.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Some of it is indeed fake. When you're brought up in a predominantly white upper middle class environment and try to act all ghetto/hood, that is fake imo. Trust fund kids who try to act like they have no money and understand the plight of the underprivileged, that's fake. Rich kids from Piedmont who say they are from Oakland and act all hood, fake. Environment plays a role in it in the sense that these types try to emulate being from an environment they didn't actually grow up in.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
I can't wait to see the look on those little Ikeman's faces after they hear this crunchy groove!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City