U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Boston Metro
1,994 posts, read 5,065,868 times
Reputation: 1829

Advertisements

Boston has both but more than 1 major college and many smaller colleges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Reputation: 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
don't do this man... I know what ATL has. Just don't compare ATL institutions with what is in NYC/LA it is going to get clobbered. I just thought it was rather odd you said NYC/LA then ATL.

He was simply saying that Atlanta has at least one big school, and many small schools; as do NYC and LA. Which is true. Please stop trying to instigate a flame war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,010,608 times
Reputation: 491
Providence Ithaca, New Haven fit the bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
He was simply saying that Atlanta has at least one big school, and many small schools; as do NYC and LA. Which is true. Please stop trying to instigate a flame war.
I wasn't trying, just my brain went when atl was grouped with la/nyc. no worries. Kind of like the analogies, which doesn't fit...
bagel
doughnut
crossaint
apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,787,999 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wasn't trying, just my brain went when atl was grouped with la/nyc. no worries. Kind of like the analogies, which doesn't fit...
bagel
doughnut
crossaint
apple

Well Atlanta does have HBCU's which NYC does not have, as well as a major Tech/Engineering college, and please dont say CUNY is a tech college, that does not count. For someone such as myself who went to an HBCU, NYC and LA were not even considered because they dont have one. So lets not act like NYC and LA have the board covered in regards to colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Well Atlanta does have HBCU's which NYC does not have, as well as a major Tech/Engineering college, and please dont say CUNY is a tech college, that does not count. For someone such as myself who went to an HBCU, NYC and LA were not even considered because they dont have one. So lets not act like NYC and LA have the board covered in regards to colleges.
Perhaps because blacks could actually go to school there, there was no need to establish one...This isn't really a plus in my mind...
You know, they were having the Harlem renaissance in NYC around same time as lynching hangings were still commonplace in ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,787,999 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Perhaps because blacks could actually go to school there, there was no need to establish one...This isn't really a plus in my mind...
You know, they were having the Harlem renaissance in NYC around same time as lynching hangings were still commonplace in ATL.
Stop talking out of the side of your neck my dude!!! Next time you want to make crazy @ss statements at least do some research first. Morehouse, Morris Brown, Spelman, and Clark College were all founded right after the Civil War. Columbia University didn't even admit any blacks until 1902, the first black student didnt even graduate until 1910. I know because I almost went there, and they told us that went I went up there for the tour. Go look it up for yourself if you don't believe me. And lynching's???? Once again your talking out of the side of your neck, or better yet your rear end. I see you mentioned the Harlem renaissance, well that was during the 1920's, and by that time the city of Atlanta already had a very, very large black community, and a very large black upper class. While lynching's may have been common place in other places in the south at that time, in 1920 they were a distant memory in Atlanta. Bruh real talk, if your gonna have that pretentious attitude towards everything that is not NYC, at least make statements about stuff you actually know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Stop talking out of the side of your neck my dude!!! Next time you want to make crazy @ss statements at least do some research first. Morehouse, Morris Brown, Spelman, and Clark College were all founded right after the Civil War. Columbia University didn't even admit any blacks until 1902, the first black student didnt even graduate until 1910. I know because I almost went there, and they told us that went I went up there for the tour. Go look it up for yourself if you don't believe me. And lynching's???? Once again your talking out of the side of your neck, or better yet your rear end. I see you mentioned the Harlem renaissance, well that was during the 1920's, and by that time the city of Atlanta already had a very, very large black community, and a very large black upper class. While lynching's may have been common place in other places in the south at that time, in 1920 they were a distant memory in Atlanta. Bruh real talk, if your gonna have that pretentious attitude towards everything that is not NYC, at least make statements about stuff you actually know about.
That is just Columbia...which is an Ivy League school.
But who were they founded by... a lot of that money came through AMA and Rockefellers... both from new york... meanwhile the south was getting out of reconstruction and re-established jim crow laws up until the 1960s...
The south wasn't exactly playing in the favor you know...
I understand the purposes but come on, look into reconstruction, why these places were founded (and allover the south) ... and who they were being founded by. The NE did not need them in the same way as the south, hence there aren't many there..
How do you think anything happened there? It certainly was not from the political leaders in the south. My god...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,045,389 times
Reputation: 1852
Chicago has University of Chicago, which is one of the top ten schools in the country in the same league as Harvard, Princeton etc.. It also made it on the Forbes list for universities that produce the most billionaires. Other major universities within the city proper such as UIC and Depaul University.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-02-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,787,999 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is just Columbia...which is an Ivy League school.
But who were they founded by... a lot of that money came through AMA and Rockefellers... both from new york... meanwhile the south was getting out of reconstruction and re-established jim crow laws up until the 1960s...
The south wasn't exactly playing in the favor you know...
I understand the purposes but come on, look into reconstruction, why these places were founded (and allover the south) ... and who they were being founded by. The NE did not need them in the same way as the south, hence there aren't many there..
How do you think anything happened there? It certainly was not from the political leaders in the south. My god...

Aight then, name a college in NYC that was admitting blacks prior to the 1900's. People kill me when they act like the south was the only region with segregation and racism back then. And thanks for history lesson, but we were talking about colleges in NYC and Atlanta, not the south as a whole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top