Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Aight then, name a college in NYC that was admitting blacks prior to the 1900's. People kill me when they act like the south was the only region with segregation and racism back then. And thanks for history lesson, but we were talking about colleges in NYC and Atlanta, not the south as a whole
Agreed Atlanta is ahead of the curve in that aspect.

As far as colleges go...

I'm not acting like that but, to act like it was good times isn't the same either. The guys from up north were funnelling lots of money in where most of the people were trying to fight it and did for almost a century.

Aside from all that...

The first HBCUs were established in the North and were products of independent religious institutions or philanthropic Christian missionaries. The first two were Cheyney University (Pennsylvania), founded in 1837, and Wilberforce University (Ohio), founded in 1856.

Oberlin was doing it in the 1830s...

Anyway didn't mean to get into an argument... I know whats up and why people go to them still, I did some work with FAMU, but to try to play it was better for hbcu's and why there arent many up north, like you said none in nyc needs a bit of history behind it. It is not because Atlanta was good at the time, it was because it was bad at the time up until the 60s.

You mentioned Columbia and their year, but not that GT didn't admit a black student until 1961...neither did UGA...

williams north of nyc was 1885...Cheyney was obviously 1837... both very close, Not sure about specifically ones *in* NYC but would love to see that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Man y'all get off topic quick!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Man y'all get off topic quick!

sorry bout that...

anyway i think perfect combination might be to do your first 2 years in a college town, then transfer to a big city... best of both worlds. or just undergrad in college town, then do your grad school in a big city where u plan to work...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
I like cities with one major university because then the college becomes the city's trademark. By going to the college, you become part of the college community and the city community. Cities with one major university are the classic college towns.

But in cities like Boston that have multiple colleges, you're just a student at one of many colleges in the city. The multiple colleges each have their own community and are more isolated.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I like cities with one major university because then the college becomes the city's trademark. By going to the college, you become part of the college community and the city community. Cities with one major university are the classic college towns.

But in cities like Boston that have multiple colleges, you're just a student at one of many colleges in the city. The multiple colleges each have their own community and are more isolated.
True. But, what if you move to a city, and a few yrs down the line decide you want to take some classes, but you dont get accepted?

If its the only game in town, your boned...

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
True. But, what if you move to a city, and a few yrs down the line decide you want to take some classes, but you dont get accepted?

If its the only game in town, your boned...
If you can't get into Ohio State, you probably should not be going to college anyway....

Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you can't get into Ohio State, you probably should not be going to college anyway....
that was just an example.

there are a number of single collge towns that you wont get accepted to. ..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
There is so much that could go wrong when you move to a new city. Not getting accepted to the only college (and that's if you decide you want to take classes) is not too big of a problem compared to other stuff that could go wrong. I plan on ending my education after I get my Bachelor's anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
that was just an example.

there are a number of single collge towns that you wont get accepted to. ..
As was I, you could swap OSu with Iowa or with Florida or with North Southwestern Comm College with U of Phoenix etc.

I think you just missed my point

Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM

53 posts, read 215,664 times
There are more choices in Columbus besides Ohio State...Columbus has many other colleges in the area to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City