Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times

Advertisements

This is the local Norfolk sound.

YouTube - city of norfolk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM

^^ Southern.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
PrinceTheo,

What is your definition of southern? When I think of southern-style cities I think of Richmond, Charleston, Nashville and Savannah because they seem more like the old south. Cities such as Atlanta, and Charlotte are changing because because of people from the outside moving in.

Also, im not saying Atlanta and Charlotte is not southern, I'm saying Richmond is more southern. You people in VA make it seems as if you're shame to say you're from the south. VA down is the south.
As a preface, I've been all over the south and I know Richmond very well. Its not that Richmond or Va for that matter is not southern, its the *degree* of southerness that I'm referring to.

Which piggybacks on what i said earlier that I think Georgia accents are generally heavier and more southern sounding than Va's. Just my opinion, from experience.

Just some asides-

1. Richmond was the confederate capital but it doesn't automatically default it culturally as ' the epitomy of the south'. It's southern but there's no southern hospitality in Richmond.

2. In reality, Richmond city itself is predominantly African American and they probably could care less about the confederacy.

3. Richmond has transplants and a sizable hispanic population. Not to the level of larger cities, but its there. I agree that it is conservative.

4. There are varying degrees of southerness within VA, with the urban areas being the most southern lite.

But to answer your question, I define it mainly by accent and just overall mentality. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
so then Clipse is from Hampton Roads?
I think so.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
I think so.
no I know he is from Hampton Roads. I was at one of his parties the other day. somebody had commented that they werent from here becasue they werent born here, but they were raised here

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
It's nothing to argue. I just put it out there. Don't be so hostile man.
My bad I didn't mean to come off as hostile.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Here is a video from the hood 2 hood series in Richmond VA if you want to hear how a lot of local AA's sound/talk in Richmond VA and want to determine if they sound southern. MrMccoySays....do you believe they would stand out as not sounding southern in Dallas, ATL, NC, etc?

YouTube - hood to hood part 20

Here is a local song that was pretty big in Richmond called Disco Ballin' with Trey Songz in the video.

YouTube - Disco Ballin

I will admit that Skillz does have an eastcoast sound, but in VA and NC you can find some rappers who sound southern or east as far as music is concerned, or some who sound like a mixture (Diverse state). Most locals don't talk/sound anything like Skillz tho, and hardly any locals sound anything like the Clipse in Tidewater. I think the rapper Famlay with Pharrell and Star Track sounds more like how a typical AA would sound in Norfolk, Portsmouth, etc.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 AM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
I commented on this earlier in the thread. From a purely geographic point of view MD and VA are similar in the eastern part of the state. VA just has more land. Culturally speaking it's a mixed bag. Seems that everyone who claims to be an expert is from another state. I live 2.5 hrs SW of DC and have never considered myself anything other than a Virginian. Not northern or southern. As far as Richmond being super ultra southern is a bit misleading. If you're only going off of history then of course. But that's just it, it's history!!! It's a sad fact that Richmond was the capital of the confederacy, but as part of American history, what would you have them do? Ignore it like it never happened? Kind of sounds like the Holocaust deniers to me. No one in VA is proud of the events leading up to the war but since the majority of the war was waged here that is why there is so much interest and preservation. Richmond actually has a high percentage of fortune 500 companies and other corporate bases and regional headquarters, by the way many are considered mid-atlantic HQ's. And Richmond does not look to Atlanta or Charlotte as much as it looks to DC and NY. Probably because of the companies HQ'd there having dealings in DC and NY since both are closer than Atlanta or Charlotte, and it's on the 95 corridor. Hampton Roads to me is an extension of DC because of the military and navy presence. Below I-64 is practically identical to NC. BTW I never even saw a tobacco plant until I visited a friend who moved to the Danville area. It's like a different world down there.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:13 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
First of all, Timberland and Pharell are producers. Neither one of those can rap IMO. Missy is one of a kind and Clispe isn't even from VA and that's the best thing to come out of there.

For the record, TI and Ludacris is southern and they will kill any rapper in VA.

Ludacris is from the Chicago suburbs...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I just disagree with TI or Luda ripping anyone from VA but that's another topic. But yes, those artists I named are Southern artists or Southern producers because they hail from a Southern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City