U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 8,293,732 times

Advertisements

Virginia has a distinctive flair all its own. But it's most similar to West Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 PM

555 posts, read 374,305 times
Good point! Virginia has about 3 diffrent cultures Old south, New south and Mid Atlantic all in 1 state very unique!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,147,972 times
nova isn't similar to ny, nj, or new england. being so close to dc, there's tons of crap not found anywhere else; the pentagon, the cia, arlington nat'l cemetery, quantico & fbi training facilities, the nra, and a hell of a lot of government contractors and tons of technology. nova is a high tech and federal area, but also very southern in its style of development. we have confederate cemeteries, lee jackson memorial highway, lee highway, john mosby highway, a lot of brick new construction, a lot of satellite city development, etc. nova blends the old south with new south perfectly. it changes so quickly from townhouses, apartment buildings, and office parks to kentucky derby competitive horse farms and even old battlefields. you can see civil war cannon balls still stuck in the side of at least one old house near one of the battlefields. we even have old plantations like oatlands. nova is one of the most historically rich parts of the south, if not the most historically rich. and people are going to claim it to be northern? why? because it's booming? if a place is actually booming, then it's definitely NOT northern these days.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 05-24-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM

845 posts, read 1,035,012 times
^
Not northern, but rather mid atlantic. As in where northern culture blends and overlaps with southern culture. VA is also near perfectly centered on the east coast, making it also geographically mid atlantic. We experience an even amount of all 4 seasons.

There is no argument that VA is historically southern, but this is the 21st century now. Things change. People move, the internet has opened up worlds to people, and people are exposed to different cultures like never before. It's just natural progression. Technology like it or not has made the world smaller, and cultures are mixing and changing quicker than ever.

The mason dixon is a weak argument, because then Maryland and DC would be southern too. And West Virginia split off because of disagreements with Virginia, so W. VA would be the north. Most people would find that absurd.
History is just that-history. Hopefully never to be repeated. All the confederate graveyards and battlefields and monuments are more for historical reference and tourism and marketing ploys than actual sentiment.

As to which state VA is most similar too, that would be our 3 closest border states of W VA, NC, and MD. Of course TN and KY, but to a lesser extent.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM

3,195 posts, read 3,577,093 times
I know you'll be surprised by this, but as far as culture of NoVa I would say Southern California, particularly San Diego and Orange County. Alot of similarities in terms of lifestyles, traffic, shopping, food. I've lived in SoCal for a long time and when I visit NoVa, I hardly know the difference except no ocean.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 AM

615 posts, read 759,871 times
Quote:
I know you'll be surprised by this, but as far as culture of NoVa I would say Southern California, particularly San Diego and Orange County. Alot of similarities in terms of lifestyles, traffic, shopping, food. I've lived in SoCal for a long time and when I visit NoVa, I hardly know the difference except no ocean.
I definitely agree with you that NoVa is similar to suburban SoCal. The demographics (and consequently the food available), patterns of development, and even the accent (especially of the teenagers) are similar. The biggest difference is that Northern Virginia is a lot more uniformely upper middle class and places a huge emphasis on education and doesn't have the "mix of collars" that you'll find in Southern California. There's also not a much of a creative class like there is in SoCal. In that sense, NoVA definitely exhibits East Coast/NYC/DC "professionalism."

Politically, NoVA is pretty similar to suburban parts of SoCal in that it can be fiscally conservative but is usually either socially moderate or socially liberal.

Demographically, NoVA is like suburban SoCal with half the percentage of hispanics, a slightly higher percentage of blacks, and a higher percentage of non-hispanic whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City