U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times

Advertisements

Try something new. Leave the midwest all together. Baltimore is the oldest with the most charm imo but Houston Dallas and Atlanta are good choices. Suburban living in each is rather bland and the same but inside each city I find quite different with its own character and charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,851,407 times
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Baltimore are... well... *shudders*

I've lived in Baltimore, and as one other poster said, it is a giant toilet. There are no good neighborhoods that are not surrounded by slums. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are also giant toilets with Southern accents and more racism. There is a reason a large portion of America's black population migrated to the North in the first place, heh. And I sincerely doubt things have changed that much over the past 40 years.

Chicago is probably your best bet. Minneapolis is definitely the best city on paper, but I'd understand why you'd want to move. Moving South will exacerbate your racial concerns, I'd say.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,608,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I've lived in Baltimore, and as one other poster said, it is a giant toilet. There are no good neighborhoods that are not surrounded by slums. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are also giant toilets with Southern accents and more racism. There is a reason a large portion of America's black population migrated to the North in the first place, heh. And I sincerely doubt things have changed that much over the past 40 years.
No disrespect, but had this been a statement by a resident of any of those three cities, I would have called it out as a bold face lie. Don't know too much about Atlanta, but the race relations in Dallas and Houston are the best I've ever experienced in my entire life. In most parts of these cities, there is virtually no racial friction between the major races. If there was, I highly highly doubt they would be what they are today. I live in Houston, and racism is quite possibly the biggest taboo here. It's no longer a southern town but an international melting pot. Whites and blacks practically walk hand-in-hand around this way. Everybody I know in every part of town has a rainbow of friends and associates who share in ideas and cultures.

What's pretty much unknown about most of Texas is that it has healed from its past. You won't have any race issues here that you wouldn't have anywhere else. So, please do not take the quoted user's statement to heart .

And I would not be so quick to say that race isn't an issue in the north, where you have plenty of people who have no reservations in using a racial slur (personal experience in the Bronx borough)...

Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It depends on what your needs are. Me? I love older cities because I find them to be the most livable. Therefore Baltimore would be a good pick for me. Though it has its trouble spots, there are some really awesome urban neighborhoods in the city.

I've heard good things about Houston, but you'd have to depend on a car for everything. I simply do not like Atlanta at all. I don't really know a thing about Dallas.

My answers aren't the same as everyone else. What your expectations and needs are will determine the best fit for you.
East Dallas/Lakewood would be a good fit - it's diverse economically, racially and sexual orientations. Even though there is a core of old money and new yuppie gentrification, people don't care where you work, what you drive, what color you are, etc...there is a good mix and it's like a small town in the big city (6 million in the MSA).

Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM

609 posts, read 2,672,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No disrespect, but had this been a statement by a resident of any of those three cities, I would have called it out as a bold face lie. Don't know too much about Atlanta, but the race relations in Dallas and Houston are the best I've ever experienced in my entire life. In most parts of these cities, there is virtually no racial friction between the major races. If there was, I highly highly doubt they would be what they are today. I live in Houston, and racism is quite possibly the biggest taboo here. It's no longer a southern town but an international melting pot. Whites and blacks practically walk hand-in-hand around this way. Everybody I know in every part of town has a rainbow of friends and associates who share in ideas and cultures.

What's pretty much unknown about most of Texas is that it has healed from its past. You won't have any race issues here that you wouldn't have anywhere else. So, please do not take the quoted user's statement to heart .

And I would not be so quick to say that race isn't an issue in the north, where you have plenty of people who have no reservations in using a racial slur (personal experience in the Bronx borough)...
I agree with MPOPE. Texas racial relations are not what was described in the above quoters. DFW has turned into a very diverse community overtime that has large ethnic populations from all over, and work side by side with each other. I must point out that some of our biggest "race riots" in recent times have been elsewhere outside of Texas. Cincinatti, OH comes to mind as well as LA (the ultimate melting pot alongside with NY), and some incidences on the East Coast. Now I"m not saying that relations are better or worse elsewhere, but what I will attest to being from the North originally (in fact most of my life up until 5 years ago was spent in the North) is that our two largest Texas MSA's (Houston and Dallas) are quite comfortable race relation wise. I may have had pre-conceptions a/b Texas originally, but those have been completely wiped out after experiencing the social/demographical landscape downhere. I highly recommend Dallas or Houston to anyone who is willing to give it a chance. Low cost of living, for those that do not like winter, (warmer winter weather at the expense of 3 hot months of summer), newer, more modern architecture, affordable housing, no state income tax (though property taxes are higher), friendly folks comparable to that of the North, excellent infrastructure/freeway systems, great access (DFW Int'l and Houston Bush Intercontinental), unlimited growth potential with diversified economies.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Baltimore are... well... *shudders*

Chicago is probably your best bet. Minneapolis is definitely the best city on paper, but I'd understand why you'd want to move. Moving South will exacerbate your racial concerns, I'd say.
Have you been to the south before or do you stay on the East Coast all the time? The funny part is that negroes have taken part in the sun belt migration.

Chicago is still very segregated; it would probably interest a sociologist. New York is less segregated though. I would move to NYC in a heartbeat except it is not as beautiful as Chicago and it is really too expensive, too old, and rundown. It seems there is too much racism up north.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,608,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Have you been to the south before or do you stay on the East Coast all the time? The funny part is that negroes have taken part in the sun belt migration.
Exactly! (I love the way you said negroes, lol). I believe there are more blacks in the south than the rest of United States all together. So the idea that they're running to the north to flee the south's oppression is ridiculous. Blacks are a southern people, and a majority of them that live up north are the descendants of those that moved there when the south was segregated. But now they're coming back home. And even since Civil Rights times Atlanta was somewhat of an exception to the racist south rule. Blacks moved there for better opportunities during those times which led to white flight. That's why back then they called it the "city to busy to hate."

Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Exactly! (I love the way you said negroes, lol). I believe there are more blacks in the south than the rest of United States all together. So the idea that they're running to the north to flee the south's oppression is ridiculous. Blacks are a southern people, and a majority of them that live up north are the descendants of those that moved there when the south was segregated. But now they're coming back home. And even since Civil Rights times Atlanta was somewhat of an exception to the racist south rule. Blacks moved there for better opportunities during those times which led to white flight. That's why back then they called it the "city to busy to hate."
I had to say negroes because the New YAWKER probably doesn't understand Southern diction--Northern English is very different. Negro is a Northern word whereas black is Southern. Apparently the ideal accent is not the largest city's, but a Nebraskan/Iowan accent around Omaha. It is even closer to the "Second City" than it is to the "Big Apple."

But the Sun Belt migration isn't confined to the Southeast. It includes Southwestern cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

Atlanta is an exception because it is MLK's hometown. Most historians concur that Emmett Till's, a Chicagoan, death started the Civil Rights movement. It was certainly fresh on Rosa Parks' mind during her bus protest. I don't know if its true but apparently MLK couldn't make it in Chicago because the people were too mean and threw rocks at them. Federal government assistance, a necessary element of a King protest, was absent when Daley I and LBJ made an agreement not to help King in exchange for a nomination from Daley's machine.

Everytime I go to Chicago, it's hard for me to believe that they are descendents of the South when they open their mouth. They are very removed from the South since they only know the ways of the North.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,220,884 times
Agreed. The NYer is woefully misinformed. Not surprising since he hasn't visited the south in forty years, if ever. A lot has changed for the better.

Either Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston would be great choices. All are known as great cities for black professionals and nice places to raise a family. Dallas and Houston are very diverse, not so sure about Atlanta, but it's got some great HBCUs. Given these choices, I would scratch Baltimore off my list.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Agreed. The NYer is woefully misinformed. Not surprising since he hasn't visited the south in forty years, if ever. A lot has changed for the better.
I think he got scared off while he was working as a civil rights worker. He probably was near Philadelphia, MS when the three northerners were murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or