Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times

Advertisements

What if Orleans reclaimed all of present day Louisiana and all of the land ceded in the Louisiana Purchase was formed back into the former Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Northern California should separate from Southern California.

South Florida could divide from Northern Florida.

Rhode Island should join with Connecticut.

Delaware should combine with Maryland.

Some of the Rocky Mountain/Great Plains states should join together.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although I'm sure there are important differences the sparsely populated nature of the Dakotas does make me wonder, at times, if merging might make sense.

Montana and Wyoming - I think there are great cultural differences that'd be a problem, but together they'd make a more decent sized western state in population.

New Hampshire and Vermont - Both small in population and area. Both irreligious and socially liberal by US standards. Both hating the idea immensely I'd assume. Hmm maybe not.

I live in a state that's not that big in population, but I can maybe understand irritation that the smallest states have more influence than their population would warrant. I don't precisely agree, but I understand it. So I leaned more toward picking one of the smallest.
If "rightsizing" states is your goal, then wouldn't you also want to split the large and populous states of TX & CA?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Just as Chicago should disassociate itself from IL. I think Chicago belongs in Wisconsin...it's close enough anyway to that state.
It's closer to IN. (The city's eastern city limit is the Indiana sate line.)

Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I always thought it would be cool to forget about the civil war and combine the original 13 colonies together in either a region or state. It could be called New Britain. But differences on both sides would never allow it as some still fight that war on both sides to this day. Other states that could be axed/combined would be; Texas could absorb Oklahoma. The four corners states,(NM,AZ,CO,UT) could be combined. California could take over Nevada. Washington and Oregon could merge. And Wisconsin and Minnessota could combine. That's all I could think of at this late hour.
I don't think Washington would want Oregon. I think Washington would make a better fit with British Columbia. There are actually people here, that want to combine No. Calif, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia into one country. Named Cascadia.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Cause obviously it doesn't go both ways...

I'll take the Duluth and the North Shore over Door County anyday.

And Minnesota's tourist destinations don't depend on residents from another state to keep them running. Without Chicago, Wisconsin would be nothing.

I didn't start it, I just said I would never ever want the two state's to combine.

Do you really wanna go there?
Rodgers is the quarterback of the future for the Packers. Why would they want a 40 year old quarterback?

The thing about Minnesota that I don't love, is its relative isolation from any other big city. If it wasn't for Chicago, Wisconsin would be in that same boat. Duluth over Door County? That's a strange preference, but to each their own. Here's a link: http://www.doorcounty.com/

Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
If "rightsizing" states is your goal, then wouldn't you also want to split the large and populous states of TX & CA?
Ahh I thought this was about merging or adding not separating.

Sure California would make sense as two states. I'm not sure where you'd divide Texas, but maybe that'd make sense too. New York could be divided too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City