Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Ok, first, read the TIME article and come back... Florida Exodus: Rising Taxes Drive Out Residents - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600 - broken link)

Now, this discussion will be about more than just the situation in Florida and Miami - compare what's happening down there to your area as well.

It can be your State or on a more local level, your County or City/Town. Have your elected reps done things that were so out of whack or controversial, that it caused a noticeable amount of residents to pack up and move out of that area? Compare.

** Important Note **
Please DO NOT turn this into a specific political bashing type of thread, or Miami-specific. Use the article as a comparison to the things happening in your area, or an area you may have moved away from due to this type of stuff. Off topic comments will be subject to removal.

Ok - go for it (nicely)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, first, read the TIME article and come back... Florida Exodus: Rising Taxes Drive Out Residents - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600 - broken link)

Now, this discussion will be about more than just the situation in Florida and Miami - compare what's happening down there to your area as well.

It can be your State or on a more local level, your County or City/Town. Have your elected reps done things that were so out of whack or controversial, that it caused a noticeable amount of residents to pack up and move out of that area? Compare.

** Important Note **
Please DO NOT turn this into a specific political bashing type of thread, or Miami-specific. Use the article as a comparison to the things happening in your area, or an area you may have moved away from due to this type of stuff. Off topic comments will be subject to removal.

I agree...I live in Sarasota,Fl. ...House values drop 45% and property taxes go up!...Insanely high insurance prices...drought conditions near our part of the coast...Sarasota cuts down every tree in sight and destroys historic buildings. Wastes tax payer dollars by bulldozing beaches of ALL vegetation.

Than there is a police controversy. We have been voted meanest city twice now.......enough already...I want out. IMHO.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times
^^^my house's value went from $330k to $165k in 2 1/2 yrs.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Here in MA the taxes keep rising up I think it's 6.75% or something and the houses are cheap now in my town Stoughton. All of our Taxes are going to no need cop cars there is no crime in this town and we have gotten 3 new cop cars. What we need is a second fire station. We only have one because the other one got shut down in 2005 for mold problems and nobody want's to fix it. We have to ask other towns for help sometimes. But one thing though is that our taxes are going to the Bay road fix is happening and that is good because people have to go through Stoughton Sharon streets and thats a mess and the road should be fixed by Halloween

Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Here in MA the taxes keep rising up I think it's 6.75% or something and the houses are cheap now in my town Stoughton. All of our Taxes are going to no need cop cars there is no crime in this town and we have gotten 3 new cop cars. What we need is a second fire station. We only have one because the other one got shut down in 2005 for mold problems and nobody want's to fix it. We have to ask other towns for help sometimes. But one thing though is that our taxes are going to the Bay road fix is happening and that is good because people have to go through Stoughton Sharon streets and thats a mess and the road should be fixed by Halloween
So basically my area is doing better the Florida/Miami

Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Actually, the Miami metro area has lost population but MiamiDade County did not. The outflow of residents continues to be outpaced by immigration, especially by international immigration. Now, this does not mean that MiamiDade is burning up the growth charts, it just means that the greater bleeding is coming from Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
My home has lost value since the peak but is still worth more than double the value that I paid for it in 2002. But, I live in a very specific area that hasn't been a decimated by price drops as much as other areas of the county or metro.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

** Important Note **

I think in Florida's case the chickens came home to roost a bit earlier than expected because of the high cost of insurance. But IMHO it was going to happen sooner or later because as a developed urban/suburban area ages, taxes and fees begin to rise.

Urban areas need more services and more public employees so over the years taxes slowly rise. Conservative areas might resist some new programs but in the long run sooner or later most urban areas look like this:

1st stage Population growth (suburban)= new spending (schools, roads, parks) + hiring public employees
2nd stage Population growth (urban or post-suburban) = more spending (fire, prisions, mass transit) + hiring more public employees + paying for many retired public employees + paying off bonds and debts, etc.

I don't think the population loss is a permanent thing for Florida as I know several people who own property and may move down there eventually. All in the Orlando area interestingly. So Florida is still going to grow when the economy turns around but probably at a slower pace.

I also think some of the same problems are going to happen to the other sun belt states unless they keep their guard up and support CAREFUL spending and investment and fight off wasteful spending. Its not the job of local governments to change the world.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Hrrmm I lived FL for 6 months recently and got out of there... saw what was goin on. Definitely not FL I mostly remember from the 80s and early 90s. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I think its a shame, Florida is such a beautiful place and a great place to live. A lot of people are moving out of my neighborhood too, they built a lot of nice modern stucco houses here and a lot of them are abandoned now.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think in Florida's case the chickens came home to roost a bit earlier than expected because of the high cost of insurance. But IMHO it was going to happen sooner or later because as a developed urban/suburban area ages, taxes and fees begin to rise.

Urban areas need more services and more public employees so over the years taxes slowly rise. Conservative areas might resist some new programs but in the long run sooner or later most urban areas look like this:

1st stage Population growth (suburban)= new spending (schools, roads, parks) + hiring public employees
2nd stage Population growth (urban or post-suburban) = more spending (fire, prisions, mass transit) + hiring more public employees + paying for many retired public employees + paying off bonds and debts, etc.

I don't think the population loss is a permanent thing for Florida as I know several people who own property and may move down there eventually. All in the Orlando area interestingly. So Florida is still going to grow when the economy turns around but probably at a slower pace.

I also think some of the same problems are going to happen to the other sun belt states unless they keep their guard up and support CAREFUL spending and investment and fight off wasteful spending. Its not the job of local governments to change the world.
Nice post, and very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City