Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your top 10 skyline's in North America
Toronto 31 65.96%
Boston 14 29.79%
New York City 37 78.72%
Los Angeles 18 38.30%
Vancouver 21 44.68%
Miami 18 38.30%
San Francisco 27 57.45%
Chicago 37 78.72%
Mexico City 8 17.02%
Dallas 14 29.79%
Houston 19 40.43%
Charlotte 3 6.38%
Philadelphia 27 57.45%
Seattle 29 61.70%
San Juan, PR 1 2.13%
Montreal 11 23.40%
Atlanta 16 34.04%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Las Vegas 4 8.51%
Other 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Then you are lying or don't know Chicago.

100% of newer buildings have giant parking garages making up the first 10-20 floors or so. Please show me ONE new building that doesn't.
OK so before you said that 100% of buildings in the CBD have parking lots, but now you say that 100% of NEWER buildings have them? There's a huge difference when you're talking about a CBD that's primarily filled with buildings that are 70+ years old. It's true that River North has some parking lot-dominated structures, but few of them are even tall enough to be considered part of the "skyline".

Quote:
What? We are talking Chicago, IL? Ever heard of it? Murder capital of the U.S.? Most miserable and polluted city in the U.S.?
Murder capital by raw numbers, not per capita (not even close), which is a superior measurement if you want to see how prevalent it is.

"Most polluted" is 100% false, where do you come up with this crap? According to the American Lung Association, your beloved Los Angeles is #1 in ozone and long-term particulates, and Chicago didn't even make the top 25 in either list (though Cook County was #10 in another list).

"Most miserable" according to Forbes magazine, whose ranking are NEVER questionable . Read more about it in the Chicago forum if you like, I don't feel like getting into this.

100 Cities: The Best and Worst Air Quality

Quote:
If you've ever been to Chicago, you would know there's a giant suburban Rock and Roll McDonalds in prime River North, is which is hardly the "furthest fringes" of Chicago. It's just off Michigan Avenue, easily the most important street in Chicago.
I didn't say "furthest fringes of Chicago", I said the furthest fringes of the CBD. And it's true, North and West of that Mcdonald's is no longer the CBD by anyone's measurement.

Quote:
LOL, you are comparing suburban trashy Edgewater in Chicago to Manhattan! Single family homes and vacant lots! Kinda like comparing exurban NYC to the Loop!

You're right, actually, I shouldn't compare Manhattan to the Loop. Totally unfair for Mnahattan!
Explain to me how a neighborhood that's filled with high rises and is one of the wealthiest in Chicago "suburban trash". You know nothing.

Quote:
Even the least dense neighborhood in Manhattan is FAR more urban than the auto-oriented Loop. How on earth could I compare Manhattan to a place filled with strip malls, parking lots and parking garages?

It would probably be better to compare Jersey City or thereabouts to the Loop, but even Jersey City is more urban and transit-friendly.
"Auto-oriented" is 100% false. If you've ever attempted to drive a car through the loop between 7AM and 9PM you would not be calling it "auto-oriented". And strip malls in the loop? I've lived in Chicago for 21 years and I guess I missed them all somehow.

I'm done with this, I'm not going to argue with someone who makes up whatever lies he feels like to prove a point. Sure, Chicago is the most polluted city in the US, the world capital of homosexual gang rape, etc. Invent whatever awful city you like to bash and call it Chicago. You're absolutely ridiculous and have zero credibility with anyone who's ever been to Chicago in person. Get a life.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM

398 posts, read 1,039,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You do realize that every new condo tower being built in this country has a boatload of parking involved with it, right? That includes the ones in Manhattan.
You are a liar. Parking is NOT allowed at all in Manhattan!

New buildings in NYC almost always have zero parking spaces.

In contrast new buildings in Chicago always have gigantic parking podiums at the base.

New buildings in Manhattan are not allowed to have parking without a special permit, and developers almost never apply for it because it is not needed and rarely granted!

I could go on all day with Manhattan buildings with no parking.

Even the fanciest buildings almost always have no parking. There is a new tower going up on the Upper West Side where the cheapest unit starts at $10 million. Not one parking space.

Please find me ONE NYC building with a giant parking garage at the base. There are none!

In fact, there are almost no underground garages in NYC. They have been banned!

In contrast, Chicago buildings all have exaggerated heights because of the giant parking garages. Part of the reason Chicago has a nice skyline, is because the auto-orientation of the city necessitates giant parking garages, which pushes the buildings higher.
Quote:
I'm not sure what makes you think Chicago (especially central) is auto-oriented...when I visited there my family walked or took the L wherever we needed to go.
Who cares what you personally do? I always take the bus when I am in LA. Same with Detroit. So I guess you think LA and Detroit are transit-oriented?

The fact is that almost everyone in Chicago has a car. In fact, most households have two. And L ridership is pathethic, because every building has tons of (usually free) parking.

Chicago may have lots of people driving, but most of this country does. It's one of the least auto-oriented cities in the country.

It's one of the most auto-oriented major cities. Yes, it's less auto-oriented than a typical sprawlburb, but it's still pretty car-centric.
Quote:
Just in case you don't know what a strip-mall is, here's a picture:
I didn't see any of those around downtown while I was there.
You are lying. They are all over the place. There are strip malls EXACTLY like that in River North, South Loop, West Loop, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc.
Quote:
I'm sure there could be some somewhere, but it's not like that's at the base of the Hancock Tower.
No, there's a giant surface parking garage at the base of the Hancock Tower. This is why the building is so tall.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Explain to me how a neighborhood that's filled with high rises and is one of the wealthiest in Chicago "suburban trash". You know nothing.
Yes, the ghetto Uptown/Edgewater is "one of the wealthiest" in Chicago! Especially the CHA projects!

The only highrises in this slum are a few along the water. And they're just commieblock suburban "towers in a park" surrounding by surface parking.

And all those single family homes with yards! I guess they're kinda tall for houses, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
"Auto-oriented" is 100% false. If you've ever attempted to drive a car through the loop between 7AM and 9PM you would not be calling it "auto-oriented".
What does traffic have to do with whether or not Chicago is auto-oriented?

The traffic is bad because Trixie and Chad are driving from the parking garage in their Near North Side condo to the parking garage in their Loop office building.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Oh man I forgot about Panama City it has a killer skyline!
Indeed it does. The pace at which that skyline has grown is amazing in itself. And unlike many of the American cities listed, its waterscape isn't just a river, it's the entire Atlantic ocean. Gotta give props to PC.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/774...c012211by7.jpg

Last edited by bizchick86; 09-08-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
whoa - how could we forget PC! i would rank it 3rd behind NY & Chi. Toronto 4th.

http://www.physics.gatech.edu/jxiao/Album/Trip%20to%20Panama(2006)/pics/Panorama/Panorama-Images/1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.costaricapages.com/panama.../04/balboa.jpg

to think its only a metro of 1.3 mil! u.s. cities are lame

Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:

New buildings in NYC almost always have zero parking spaces.

In contrast new buildings in Chicago always have gigantic parking podiums at the base.

New buildings in Manhattan are not allowed to have parking without a special permit, and developers almost never apply for it because it is not needed and rarely granted!

I could go on all day with Manhattan buildings with no parking.

Even the fanciest buildings almost always have no parking. There is a new tower going up on the Upper West Side where the cheapest unit starts at $10 million. Not one parking space.

Please find me ONE NYC building with a giant parking garage at the base. There are none!

In fact, there are almost no underground garages in NYC. They have been banned!
Well, the new Gehry Tower has some parking in its base. So does the Orion. So does 325 Fifth Avenue. Those were the only new condos in NYC I could think of, and they've all got parking. It's better to put them underground though, I'm not a fan of the parking garages which are in the base of the building rather than in the basement.

Quote:
You are lying. They are all over the place. There are strip malls EXACTLY like that in River North, South Loop, West Loop, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc.
Well I never saw them when I was there.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
The Sears tower has a giant parking garage flanking the side of it... The new trump tower has a giant parking garage too.
There are parking LOTS within the loop (google street view wabash), no buildings, just asphalt, and allover the south loop and river north. Also many self park garages

This is also in the loop

about 700 south wabash
As far as strip malls, there are several in lincoln park/north clybourn/lakeview/south loop. None in the loop though.
This is 3 blocks south of sears tower what u are seeing, undeveloped blocks of land (that is not a park) and parking lots this is 300 south...i.e. 3 blocks south of dead center madison street. u can see 311 s. wacker (a super tall) with ground level parking lots and the chicago stock exchange with ground level parking lot right across from it. Heck you can even get residential zone street parking along lasalle/wells/financial/ lots of that stuff, I should know, I had it. I parked my car within 2 blocks of the Board of trade, residential zone street parking, not a prob.

chicago *does* have a lot of parking and undeveloped land downtown... it is spaced out.

http://www.illinoistrooper.co.uk/ass...rs_Tower_4.jpg
parking lots on water front

this is 10 blocks from sears tower looking south. (1200s/300w) The buildings to your left are actuall Bertrand Goldberg(Marina Towers/River City), I think now convertered to residential, they used to be public housing.

all that empty space in bottom is undeveloped land/parking lots/strip malls(CSX owns most of this as far as I know) (except grant park on the water)
I thought this was known that Chicago was kind of spaced out??? I always thought this was cool (at least when I had my car) because I could park it easy right down town. I didn't really need it so got rid of it though. People in Chicago love their cars for the most part.

Last edited by grapico; 09-08-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Well, the new Gehry Tower has some parking in its base. So does the Orion. So does 325 Fifth Avenue.
You are lying. None of these buildings have parking in the base.

Parking has been banned for new buildings within Manhattan. You can only get it with a special permit.

A few residential buildings are given special permits, but they are the rare exception, and the rare NYC parking is NEVER in giant parking podiums like in Chicago.

In NYC, the very few newer parking sites are always 100% underground, and are always VERY limited (only a few spaces).

And approval is almost never granted, unless the developer pledges to remove an equal number of spaces from somewhere else in Manhattan (in other words, no net increase in parking spaces).

Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
I provided links for a reason man. I agree, none of the parking are giant parking lots, and I already said I preferred underground parking over podium-style. I'm not lying about anything.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Did you just call someone else a liar? Hypocrite! Parking is allowed on Manhattan. You cant ban parking from the center of an entire city lol. You're crazy.

I'd like to place an order for a new, more sensible troll. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City