Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your top 10 skyline's in North America
Toronto 31 65.96%
Boston 14 29.79%
New York City 37 78.72%
Los Angeles 18 38.30%
Vancouver 21 44.68%
Miami 18 38.30%
San Francisco 27 57.45%
Chicago 37 78.72%
Mexico City 8 17.02%
Dallas 14 29.79%
Houston 19 40.43%
Charlotte 3 6.38%
Philadelphia 27 57.45%
Seattle 29 61.70%
San Juan, PR 1 2.13%
Montreal 11 23.40%
Atlanta 16 34.04%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Las Vegas 4 8.51%
Other 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
You are lying. None of these buildings have parking in the base.
Didn't you just say parking isn't allowed at all in Manhattan? You just talk and talk and then hope what you say has any sort of valid claim. You'll be gone within a week.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Didn't you just say parking isn't allowed at all in Manhattan?
Yes, I did. You need to read before commenting!

Parking is NOT allowed in new buildings in Manhattan.

Quote:
You just talk and talk and then hope what you say has any sort of valid claim. You'll be gone within a week.
No, I state FACTS, and you have no response!

And you apparently keep getting banned, Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba!

Maybe you should follow the forum guidelines, and not create 10 screen names!

Or better yet, perhaps you should have a coherent argument!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I did read before commenting, because unlike you, I post after doing a little research. Here is what you said WORD FOR WORD in Post #52:

Quote:
You are a liar. Parking is NOT allowed at all in Manhattan!
Quote:
No, I state FACTS, and you have no response!
Its the other way around. You state your opinions and I prove you wrong with facts.

Quote:
And you apparently keep getting banned, Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba!
so everyone that proves you wrong is the same person? I really hope you're no older than 15.

Quote:
Maybe you should follow the forum guidelines, and not create 10 screen names!
Haha oh lord.

Quote:
Or better yet, perhaps you should have a coherent argument!
All I have to say is, PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON MANHATTAN!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,761 times
Quote:

Thats not true. There's a lot of new buildings with parking garages. Actually there is even a low rise building with a car elevator so when you drive in it takes you to your floor then you drive out into your own personal garage on whatever floor you reside. Ill try to find it for you.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Thats not true. There's a lot of new buildings with parking garages.
No, there aren't. You are lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Actually there is even a low rise building with a car elevator so when you drive in it takes you to your floor then you drive out into your own personal garage on whatever floor you reside.
No, there isn't. Wrong again.

There's a building on the West Side of Manhattan that kinda sounds like what you're talking about, but:

1. It's a highrise, not a lowrise;

2. It's an alteration, not new construction;

3. It doesn't have a parking garage, but a private lift into each apartment, which could be used for vehicles, if one prefers.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I did read before commenting, because unlike you, I post after doing a little research. Here is what you said WORD FOR WORD in Post #52:
Its the other way around. You state your opinions and I prove you wrong with facts.
so everyone that proves you wrong is the same person? I really hope you're no older than 15.
Haha oh lord.
All I have to say is, PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON MANHATTAN!

I think this cryptic gibberish proves it!

Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba! has officially lost it!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:

I think this cryptic gibberish proves it!

Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba! has officially lost it!
Lol you know you're wrong and now you're trying to get people angry. Haha, you may not be smart, but at least you're funny. .

Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,907 times
Quote:
No, this is false. Over 4,500 of these highrises are in Manhattan, and of those that are in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, the VAST majority are right over the river, so yes, they are a continuation of the same skyline.

And I am not even talking about the additional 700 highrises right across the river in NJ, that are a continuation of the Manhattan skyline.

And you have no idea what NYC projects are. The VAST majority of highrises in the outer Boroughs are not projects. Relatively few of the buildings Emporis is counting are projects.

Just because you have residential highrises, it does not mean they are "projects", but someone from Chicago does not know this, because Chicago has the worst projects in the nation, and is destroying all of them to replace them with more suburban sprawl, some even next to the Loop!

Also, you are going by Emporis stats, which are not reliable.

1. Emporis admits they do not have close to all NYC buildings. They guarantee they have 100% of all Chicago buildings.

2. Emporis counts parking garages as height. Almost all Chicago buildings are built on giant parking platforms, which is not height counted for zoning calculations, but Emporis (for some reason) counts.

Oh, and as to quality, Chicago cannot compare to Mexico City, to say nothing of NYC. Chicago highrises are overwhelmingly bland residential modern boxes with giant parking garages at the base. Don't forget the tacky postmodern pastiche. It hasn't done anything since Mies.

Mexico City is a hotbed of global architectural innovation. NYC has every style of building by basically every prominenet highrise architect of the last century.

But you just made that up. 300+ foot isn't a magical number for "skyline".

And your number is false anyways, because you are using Emporis numbers, which include parking garages.

An apples-to-apples comparison would show that Manhattan alone has at least 4-5 times as many 300+ foot buildings as Chicago, and more if you are just comparing to the Loop (nearly half of Chicago buildings are suburban-style towers in a park up in Lakeview, Edgewater, etc.).

This is false. Manhattan alone has 500 million square feet. About 280 million in Midtown, 120 million in Midtown South and 100 million in Lower Manhattan. There's also about 25 million north of 59th street, but it is usually counted separately.

The city as a whole has about 640 million square feet. And there's over 60 million on the NJ waterfront, just across from Manhattan. So 700 million square feet.

130 million, if the number is correct, would mean that Chicago has less than one-fifth of NYC's office space.

No, you made these numbers up. There is no resource or database that could come up with this number.

And why are you going on about office space??

What does it have to do with number of highrises? In both cities, the vast majority of highrises are NOT office space.

Not that it has any relevance to this conversation, but NYC has 8.4 million.

Again, irrelevant, but Chicago has closer to 10, and NYC is 22-23 million.

Yes, please do!

You have discussed office space (incorrectly) and population (better, but still incorrect), neither of which have anything to do with number of highrises!

Highrises tend to not be office, and there is no correlation between population and number of highrises!

Again, you are talking about irrelevent things. None of these things have anything to do with highrises.

You now want to talk about "size of office districts" which is a totally different matter. Chicago's core districts are less than a fifth of the size of NYC, when measuring office space.

And why would one compare the Loop with one subsection of Manhattan? What about all the other commercial neighborhoods?

You should compare the Loop (central Chicago) with Manhattan and environs (central NYC).

What you are doing is twisting the converstaion, as if I wanted to compare all of Manhattan with the Near North Side.

Ummm, again, you seem to have problems with reading comprehension. What does office space have to do with skyline??

Hong Kong, which destroys Chicago's skyline, has very little office space.

Metro Washington, DC, which destroys Metro Chicago's office space, has very little skyline.

Heck, Paris absolutely STOMPS on Chicago office-space wise, but has a very modest skyline.

Oh, and maybe you should travel to Brazil. Tiny cities have giant skylines and almost no office space! How could that be?

Hahahahahahahahaaha!!!!!!!! You need to travel outside of Chicagoland!

A typical European, European or Latin American city has FAR denser land uses than Chicago. Downtown Chicago has parking lots, parking garages, and strip malls all over the place.

Please show me ONE part of downtown Chicago that isn't covered with parking garages and parking lots everywhere. It doesn't exist.

Now show me a part of Venice, Vienna, Valencia, etc. covered with parking garages and parking lots. It doesn't exist.

Even domestically, Boston, San Francisco, and Washington (and maybe Philly) have much more intact centers.

Um, and the Outer Boroughs? Waterfront NJ? Where are the strip malls and parking lots like in Chicago?

Putting aside your odd use of "conclusively"

And more work in Washington, DC. And FAR MORE work on Paris's Right Bank.

So you would then say that Washington. DC's skyline is much larger, super-tall and denser than Chicago, right?

This is what your logic would say!
I can prove you are wrong with ur statistics, you dont even back em up by sources. Check this source out.

Four Percent of Manhattan's Total Office Space Was Destroyed in the World Trade Center Attack | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/4266400-1.html - broken link)

^Source literally states Manhattan has 353.7 million square feet of office space. It was in 2001, but can't be much different today. I'm sticking with my 400 million square feet claim. If you do some research, you'll find downtown Chicago with around 110-130 million square feet of office, about 1/3 of Manhattan. Yes, I know its hard 2 believe DT Chicago is 1/3 the chunk of Manhattan but I gave u a source to back it up. Show me where you found the 600 million sq feet info.

http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

^Again, there is another source that gives u a little more insight. According to this source, theres 1,736,000 employment jobs south of 59th street (includes all of Midtown and Downtown) in Manhattan. Theres 541,000 jobs in Downtown Chicago...again approximately 1/3.

This source also proves that Downtown Chicago is an extremely dense area. 541,000 ppl working in only 3.36 sq miles? That's 161,000 ppl per sq mile. Wait a min, that ACTUALLY includes the Northern end of the skyline which is spacious and has many condo high-rises (look at the vicinity of John Hancock Center). Look at the Northern end of Chicago's skyline, then look at the Loop Financial District...I see HUGE difference in density...so in that particular area of Downtown Chicago (the area between the Aon and the Sears Tower)...is EASILY one of the densest employment centers in the world. Manhattan beats it...I can think of nothing else.

Oh btw, did I mention that despite the parking garages that you claim are every where in DT Chicago, 55% of workers travel by transit? That ranks 2nd in the US after NYC. So much for Chicago's "suburban nature"

Last edited by Libohove90; 09-08-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I can prove you are wrong with ur statistics, you dont even back em up by sources.
You did not include a single source. Not one. You just googled for random articles.

Manhattan has 500 million square feet of space, and NYC has well over 600 million square feet of space. I have posted various links and sources.

NYC also has the lowest vacancy rate in the nation.

Chicago has around 100-130 million square feet of space.

Chicago also has among the highest vacancy rates in the nation.

And downtown Chicago is very small and suburban-feeling compared to big cities. It should be obvious to anyone who has visted much larger cities than Chicago (NYC, obviously, but also LA, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Tokyo, etc.)

It's even smaller-feeling than Washington, DC, and feels much less cosmpolitan than San Francisco or Boston.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,189 times
Enough with the bickering you two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City