Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
New York style hotdog 63 37.50%
Chicago style hotdog 105 62.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
right, so you should see the same types of fitteds in those states as well. obviously we're not counting ny for the sake of the argument.
with that said there are 46 other states without a lot of teams in them. these are the states that i'm talking about, although i would say that when i was in texas, i saw a ton of ny merchandise...everything from that stuff you see in flea markets to the stuff i saw in the mall, etc.

perhaps houston is different but el paso did not have a tiny bit of ny stuff and a lot of stuff from elsewhere. it had your texas stuff and then it had ny stuff. to be honest, i don't buy that houston doesn't have ny products in their malls. i'm having a hard time figuring out why other cities in texas would but houston wouldn't. if anything, the other cities would have more texas stuff and no ny stuff because they'd be for their own city. the larger city would have the variety. so again, i'm not buying that.

florida too. i've seen it.

what it means is that ppl claiming that they dont hear or see NY stuff outside of ny are lying through their teeth (or fingers in this case).

philly has nothing to do with it.

if we must bring philly into it, they're only known for that one thing. you don't see Philly clothing, philly style pizza, philly style franks, philly merchandise (hats, tees, etc) all over the nation like you do NY. period.

ppl are kidding themselves, here.
LOL...And I didnt think that people think like this? How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
oh i'm 100% sure you're older than i am. c-d's audience seems to be 35-55ish...

this means nothing. age has nothing to do with it. i've traveled a lot.

my posts aren't an opinion; rather they are what i've seen in person. i have _never_ seen a "texas style" hot dog place ever, ever, ever outside of texas. ever. "texas style" hot dog places in texas are not abundant.

all of these ppl talking about how nobody talks about ny, nobody cares about ny, nobody sells yankee hats in large amounts outside of the tristate are in denial.

i've seen it. i've been there. ppl talking about, "well texas doesn't do this, philly does that, in flori-"

no sir/ma'am. i've seen it. they do.

but i've never seen a ny hot dog place outside of ny. i've never seen a place claiming to sell ny hot dogs in the south/west/midwest/northwest. philly cheesteaks are--

yeah, ok. i believe you.

but chicago places are all over!! they have 4 on each block in new mexico. yeah, ok. i believe you.

*on topic*

IMHO, you take a ny frank with no toppings, put it in a bun and you put it up against a chicago hot dog in a bun with no toppings and the ny frank will taste better. chicago adds a large amount of toppings for a reason.

this is no excuse; IMO even with the toppings on the chicago hot dog, the ny hot dog is superior in taste.

Last edited by eek; 09-17-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:

IMHO, you take a ny frank with no toppings, put it in a bun and you put it up against a chicago hot dog in a bun with no toppings and the ny frank will taste better. chicago adds a large amount of toppings for a reason.

this is no excuse; IMO even with the toppings on the chicago hot dog, the ny hot dog is superior in taste.
I guess to each his own. To me even a plain new york hot dog from a vendor does not taste as good as plain one from one of the many Chicago establishments.

As for the toppings, the beauty of the Chicago style hot dog is that as a whole everything works together. The dog, the toppings, and even the bun create a great harmony of flavors that elevates the hot dog.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:

Which brands of New York dogs do you consider superior to which Chicago brands? You can only reasonably make such a bold and sweeping claim if you're very experienced. That is IF the claim is to be reasonable.

Note that I haven't claimed one city's dogs are better than the others, I've simply described Chicago dogs and admitted my experience with NY dogs is limited. I wouldn't doubt that some NY and Chicago dogs taste exactly the same, I note my experience with Boar's Head all beef natural casing hot dogs which are made in New York and taste a great deal like Vienna hot dogs from Chicago.

Maybe I'm being too reasonable.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Which brands of New York dogs do you consider superior to which Chicago brands? You can only reasonably make such a bold and sweeping claim if you're very experienced. That is IF the claim is to be reasonable.

Note that I haven't claimed one city's dogs are better than the others, I've simply described Chicago dogs and admitted my experience with NY dogs is limited. I wouldn't doubt that some NY and Chicago dogs taste exactly the same, I note my experience with Boar's Head all beef natural casing hot dogs which are made in New York and taste a great deal like Vienna hot dogs from Chicago.

Maybe I'm being too reasonable.
If Chicago hot dogs are better, then why Americans voted for the NY hot dogs to be best in the Nation?

Hot Dog Road Trip Celebrates The American Classic's Regional Flavors | Reuters

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
If Chicago hot dogs are better, then why Americans voted for the NY hot dogs to be best in the Nation?

Hot Dog Road Trip Celebrates The American Classic's Regional Flavors | Reuters
While I enjoy a Nathan's hot dog now and again, I gotta vote local for the Chicago red hot. Vienna beef is great and I love the mix of condiments-- mustard, sport peppers, cucumber, tomato, onion and celery salt (hold the radioactive relish please). I also believe that ketchup has absolutely no place on a hot dog. Simply overpowering. Noy a big fan of sauerkraut, but I think it is a good topping on a hot dog.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
By that reasoning McDonalds makes the best hamburger.

Hey, you still haven't answered my question from several pages back, just what experience do you have with Chicago dogs, which stands have you been too? If you're gonna make blanket statements I want to know how credible you are.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
Have not had NYC hot dogs one day....................

Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
all i know is that i'm hungry right now after thinking about hot dogs.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
oh i'm 100% sure you're older than i am. c-d's audience seems to be 35-55ish...

this means nothing. age has nothing to do with it. i've traveled a lot.

my posts aren't an opinion; rather they are what i've seen in person. i have _never_ seen a "texas style" hot dog place ever, ever, ever outside of texas. ever. "texas style" hot dog places in texas are not abundant.

Just because you have not seen something , does not mean it exists/doesn't exist. Your posts have shown that you have very very little real world experience and and not very well traveled. I can name about a dozen "texas hots" places here, and I live in NY.

Quote:
all of these ppl talking about how nobody talks about ny, nobody cares about ny, nobody sells yankee hats in large amounts outside of the tristate are in denial.
your proof of this? Are you saying that all of these people who actually live in these other places where they don't care about NY are lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City