U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
New York style hotdog 62 37.13%
Chicago style hotdog 105 62.87%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 4,034,987 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well I guess I didn't really enjoy it then.
Lol, it's stupid when people say something looks nasty as if they can taste through vision.

And yes, Chicagoans eat mostly thin crust pizza, but it's still not the same as NYC pizza.

And the Chicago hot dog tastes freaking delicious.
I don't care if you think it's because I'm from Chicago, but I'd eat them anyday.

Silly people saying we put on useless ingridients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,311,541 times
Reputation: 5312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Have you had a fenway frank it's even better
no, everytime I have been in Boston I have stuck to the seafood and grog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Boston Metro
1,997 posts, read 3,541,056 times
Reputation: 1773
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
no, everytime I have been in Boston I have stuck to the seafood and grog.
O man you have to try one lol and have High Fy pizza on Mass Ave that's the best pizza I have had in the world nothing can compete with it IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,311,541 times
Reputation: 5312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
O man you have to try one lol and have High Fy pizza on Mass Ave that's the best pizza I have had in the world nothing can compete with it IMO
haha are u joking or serious...if not joking i probably will check them out...

oh i have been to chinatown to eat there too, so not JUST seafood, not the dogs though :I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Boston Metro
1,997 posts, read 3,541,056 times
Reputation: 1773
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
haha are u joking or serious...if not joking i probably will check them out...

oh i have been to chinatown to eat there too, so not JUST seafood, not the dogs though :I
I am not joking I will give you the address in a second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Boston Metro
1,997 posts, read 3,541,056 times
Reputation: 1773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
I am not joking I will give you the address in a second
Here it is

Name-Hi-Fi Pizza Pie
Address-1508 Dorchester Ave Dorchester, MA 02122-1327
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,992 posts, read 5,142,507 times
Reputation: 1018
Personally, I prefer the North Jersey "Texas" weiner.

Rutts Hutt.

Libby's.

Hot Grill.

Getty Ave Grill.

Johnny and Hanges.

If you ask me, they blow both NYC and Chicago, out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,292 posts, read 11,552,066 times
Reputation: 10767
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Which style/variation of hotdogs out of the two do you like better??
What are their differences???Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine
9,258 posts, read 11,461,391 times
Reputation: 7396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
What are their differences???Seriously.
A Chicago hot-dog is all beef and "Jewish" in nature though not always Kosher. Vienna is the most popular brand but there are others though recently two of the best, Sinai Kosher and Bests Kosher, were bought by Sara Lee and then in a case of Capitalist cancer Sara Lee closed them down. Anyway it often has a hard skin casing but some lack the casing, indeed Vienna sells sells both skin and skinless and in several sizes. Many favor the skin dogs because they "pop" when you bite into them.

It's most often cooked in hot water and kept in the water or a steamer until served. Though some places also cook them on grilles over open fires but this manner is far less popular.

The dog is most often placed on a MaryAnn or Rosen brand bun, often with poppy seeds. Popular condiments are relish, raw chopped onion, mustard, tomato, pickle, cucumber, sport peppers and celery salt. Some people load all this on the dog which leads to the expression "salad on a bun". I keep it simple with mustard, relish and tomato so I can taste the actual hot-dog.

Many stands include an order of fries which is often thrown in the waxed paper and wrapped up with the hot-dog. Of course the best places like Gene and Judes and Poochies make fresh cut fries on the spot.

I can't tell you much about NY dogs except that in my limited experience they're more garlicky than Chicago ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,764 posts, read 9,334,088 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A Chicago hot-dog is all beef and "Jewish" in nature though not always Kosher. Vienna is the most popular brand but there are others though recently two of the best, Sinai Kosher and Bests Kosher, were bought by Sara Lee and then in a case of Capitalist cancer Sara Lee closed them down. Anyway it often has a hard skin casing but some lack the casing, indeed Vienna sells sells both skin and skinless and in several sizes. Many favor the skin dogs because they "pop" when you bite into them.

It's most often cooked in hot water and kept in the water or a steamer until served. Though some places also cook them on grilles over open fires but this manner is far less popular.

The dog is most often placed on a MaryAnn or Rosen brand bun, often with poppy seeds. Popular condiments are relish, raw chopped onion, mustard, tomato, pickle, cucumber, sport peppers and celery salt. Some people load all this on the dog which leads to the expression "salad on a bun". I keep it simple with mustard, relish and tomato so I can taste the actual hot-dog.

Many stands include an order of fries which is often thrown in the waxed paper and wrapped up with the hot-dog. Of course the best places like Gene and Judes and Poochies make fresh cut fries on the spot.

I can't tell you much about NY dogs except that in my limited experience they're more garlicky than Chicago ones.
They sell these mini-franks at this butcher shop (I think its a Kosher one) in Fresh Meadows, Queens and they "pop" too, I wanna try a Chicago hotdog to see if they're similar .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top