Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is more racially diverse, Southern California or The NY Metro Area (NJ, NY, CT)
Southern California 42 42.86%
The NY Metro Area 56 57.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,788,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate 24 View Post
Really? LA has everything Races as NY does!
Not really.
The NY area doesn't have as many Latinos, but the NY have a larger variety of them; the NY area has a lot of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans etc.. SoCa has a very narrow range of diversity when it comes to the Latino population.

SoCa has blacks.. yea.. CA itself is only about 4% Black while NY has a 16% black population (mostly in NYC), NJ has a 13% black population (mostly NNJ), and CT has a 9% population.

By far, NY/NJ/CT immidiate area has a way larger European population.

Asians.. Not sure where to go with that.
SoCa has a lot of Canbodians, Philipinos, Chinese, and Japanese
NYC area has a lot of Koreans and Philipinos
~
SoCa has a more diverse Asian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,653,462 times
There are some excellent observations being made here, but let's bear in mind that the question asks not about ethnicity or nationality, but about race.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM

787 posts, read 1,692,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Not really.
The NY area doesn't have as many Latinos, but the NY have a larger variety of them; the NY area has a lot of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans etc.. SoCa has a very narrow range of diversity when it comes to the Latino population.

SoCa has blacks.. yea.. CA itself is only about 4% Black while NY has a 16% black population (mostly in NYC), NJ has a 13% black population (mostly NNJ), and CT has a 9% population.

By far, NY/NJ/CT immidiate area has a way larger European population.

Asians.. Not sure where to go with that.
SoCa has a lot of Canbodians, Philipinos, Chinese, and Japanese
NYC area has a lot of Koreans and Philipinos
~
SoCa has a more diverse Asian population.

Btw, California is actually 6.7 % black per the 2005-2007 census estimate.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 AM

927 posts, read 2,222,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
There are some excellent observations being made here, but let's bear in mind that the question asks not about ethnicity or nationality, but about race.
The OP should change the subject. You can just look up the census for racial diversity. If we were to account for ethnicity, however, New York would win handily. Even with race though, L.A's black population has decreased, and it seems to be becoming more Latino and white oriented.

The sheer diversity in just the type of Caribbeans New York has would beat out LA,lol! There seems to be people from EVERY country imaginable living in NY.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,653,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
The OP should change the subject. You can just look up the census for racial diversity. If we were to account for ethnicity, however, New York would win handily.
If the question were "Which is more ethnically diverse? New York City or Southern California (metro area)?" NYC would win by leaps and bounds. However, although the NYC metro area is extremely ethnically diverse, Southern California about matches it, so I would actually have to call a tie. If anything, I actually lean toward Southern California being slightly more ethnically diverse.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM

287 posts, read 546,188 times
Report: L.A., Texas counties most diverse in U.S.

Report: L.A., Texas counties most diverse in U.S. - CNN.com

Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,588,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is the overwhealming impression I get about Los Angeles and I would suspect it is becoming even more so every year.

However, the OP said Southern California area which is much more than just LA. I am not sure how it would pan out.

What I can say about New York is we still have a large European population who follow their roots, the so called ethnic whites; Italians, Jewish, Irish, Greek, Armenian, Albanian, Russian etc. We also have a much larger African American population including large numbers of people from the Islands. Every once in a while you will meet someone directly from Africa.

The Hispanic population is probably larger in LA but New York's Hispanics seems more evenly represented and not overwhealmingly dominated by one country.

The Asian population is larger in Southern California (including Japanese which we need more of in NY) but New York still has a decent population of Chinese, Philipinos and Koreans. We also have a large and growing population of South Asians; Pakistan, India, Banglesdesh, and various Arab countries.
Good post.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM

36,645 posts, read 67,346,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Report: L.A., Texas counties most diverse in U.S.

Report: L.A., Texas counties most diverse in U.S. - CNN.com
That article is poorly worded, poorly written and really does not portay diversity. I mean a county that is 98% hispanic is NOT Diverse-SORRY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
And although numbers like these make great trivia, Eschbach said they're also useful in determining which counties most need government support.
Speak for yourself! 5 of the Bay Area's counties have no racial majority and they are all affluent.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,425,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
and you can't in NYC

oh yeah, i forgot. LA has spiderman
Spiderman (Peter Parker) is from either Queens or Brooklyn, I'm not sure which. But then, since Marvel comics has gone all Hollywood he probably does live in L.A. now.

But overall all I think NYC is more diverse. A very large percentage of SoCal is Hispanic and mostly Mexican with a few Central American. NYC has Hispanics from a huge number of places. NYC also has a far greater number of African American and Blacks from all over the World (Carribbian, African, Cubans, Dominicans, Hatians,etc.) and about as large an Asian presence. I also think the whites in NYC are more often from other countries than in L.A.. In NYC you have a huge number of Irish, Italian, Jewish, Russian, etc. You have them in L.A. too but Caucasians there are more likely to be plain Anglo Saxon than in NYC.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-09-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,016,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Spiderman (Peter Parker) is from either Queens or Brooklyn, I'm not sure which. But then, since Marvel comics has gone all Hollywood he probably does live in L.A. now.
Lol he swings off air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City