Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite City For Urban Living (BESIDES NYC)?
Chicago 63 26.81%
Boston 30 12.77%
Philadelphia 41 17.45%
Atlanta 12 5.11%
DC 21 8.94%
San Francisco 40 17.02%
Los Angeles 13 5.53%
Other (list in thread) 15 6.38%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
If that picture doesn't prove that Philly is UNCONTESTED THE BEST CITY IN AMERICA you need to be medicated.
I'm somewhat curious, Where are you from and where do you live in Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM

287 posts, read 338,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm somewhat curious, Where are you from and where do you live in Philly?
I've lived in the Philly area for almost 20 years. I'm on the southern fringes of Center City (east of Broad).

I'm NOT durf and I never lived in San Jose or whatever you guys claim I'm from.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
I've lived in the Philly area for almost 20 years. I'm on the southern fringes of Center City (east of Broad).

I'm NOT durf and I never lived in San Jose or whatever you guys claim I'm from.
Haha, OK cool. Why do you seem to have such a disdain for any city not Philly if you've never lived anywhere else?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,274,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha, OK cool. Why do you seem to have such a disdain for any city not Philly if you've never lived anywhere else?
Don't believe him - it's Durf.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post

Chicago probably "looks" cheap when you look at rent and housing prices and that too is skewed with the very cheap homes in the rough areas of Chicago (of which there's A LOT) but factor in sales tax (among the absolute highest in the country), gasoline, food and grocery expenses, and taxes in general and it's not "closer" to the cost of living of a Phoenix, Houston, or Miami anymore but more in line with what you'd expect out of it. Apply basic needs for how much you consume and your average housing and additional expenses and at the end of the month, you'll get the real story. It's the reason people are increasingly living in places like Walworth, Rockford, South Bend, and Benton Harbor and commuting to Chicago, cost of living being the primary driver.
Not really following that though. From googling, Chicago's sales taxes are actually LESS than Phoenix, and only 1% higher than Houston. Houston and Phoenix both have higher property taxes than the city of Chicago, groceries cost more in Phoenix and Houston and much more in Miami. Chicago has a higher income tax than Phoenix and Texas and Florida have no income tax. They offset the taxes with higher property taxes in many cases. Chicago has higher gas prices, but also has 2 million rides per weekday on public transit

Chicago's average houshold income is 16% higher than Houston or Phoenix and 34% higher than Miami. Chicago is expensive and has taxes, high gas prices - but for a city its size it's much cheaper than many many others.

Rockford, South Bend and Benton Harbor's metro areas are either flat or actually shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City