Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,976,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hmm I was going on statistics and hadn't thought of the American Indian thing. I guess the OP being black I was thinking mostly on that. I have heard that parts of the West the American-Indian/Native-American thing is still a big deal. Where I'm at the people who say the most hostile things against blacks are often neutral to positive on indigenous peoples. Although sometimes that positivity strikes me as being potentially patronizing. (The image that they have some genetic ability at spirituality and natural wisdom when most native peoples are just folks with families who watch sports or drink beer or whatever. Albeit a bit poorer than most people on average)

In Western New Mexico there are still a few towns where Native Americans are hated on, for decades there has been racial tensions between whites,hispanics and native americans there.

there is also a sport called "rolling" where they pick up drunk indians and take em out somewhere and beat them.

and you will find out someones true feelings on race by making a racial joke or saying something yourself about a certain race, there are lots of not-so-good feelings between races that people just tolerate and never show, from the look of it everything is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:38 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptuneaus View Post
Okeydoke. Thanks for so many great responses! I'm going to start to help you narrow it down. I've lived in the south, as well as on both coasts (east and west), in Chicago and in New England, among other places. Here are your choices (again, this is just my humble opinion). I'll share my #1 choice in the next day or so. They are (drumroll): Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Orlando, Oakland, DC, Sacramento, Boston, Miami. Keep in mind, my choice does not only take diversity into account...some cities are very racially diverse, but it does not count as tolerance if races do not live together and have some level of civility towards one another. Only four cities really make my list (top 4), the others are just thrown in for the heck of it. What do you think? Do any of these cities resonate with you in the tolerance or racially liberal department? What would your top 4 be? You might disagree with my list altogether which is fine. My #1 (and ranking from 1 to 4) probably tomorrow.
I forgot about Honolulu. Yeah I heard that it's super diverse and tolerant. It's soooo expensive in Hawaii.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Not true at all in reality maybe its your experience but Manhattan alone was ranked 7th most diverse county in the country. Almost every single one of my schools were diverse. Manhattan is pretty safe. I live here.
I never questioned Manhattan's safety but it's the most expensive place in North America and like top ten most expensive in the world. For good reason NYC is awesome especially Manhattan, so demand outweighs supply hence the high rise prices. That still leads back to my argument that the best cities just aren't designed for the middle class family anymore. I still say that Brooklyn is more diverse and economically more accessible.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM

122 posts, read 380,682 times
SF isn't forcing blacks out, they are leaving on their own.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,580,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Where did you hear that?
San Francisco forum.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM

398 posts, read 1,035,487 times
Most tolerant: NYC, SF, LA

Least tolerant: Chicago, Detroit

Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,409,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Most tolerant: NYC, SF, LA

Least tolerant: Chicago, Detroit
The thread didn't ask what you think are the least tolerant cities, did it? But of course you hate Chicago deep down and felt a burning urge to spout crap about it somehow.

Nobody's going to claim that Chicago is the most racially tolerant city in the US. However, I know many Chicago natives who are minorities and, after extended stays in certain other cities, have returned to Chicago feeling as if they were in a racially integrated paradise. I'm not sure how you're even basing your claim, seeing as in your other posts, it's clear that you've never been to Chicago.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Pick a majority-white city that fancies itself as tolerant and thinks it has solved the race issue because it's never had to deal with a major influx of traditionally underprivileged minorities, and therein lies your most likely list of candidates. My pick is Seattle.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 PM

402 posts, read 850,266 times
Default liberal and accepting?

I don't see any correlation between a city being liberal and racially tolerant. There aren't any cities with overt racism, so I'd say pretty much every city.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 AM

398 posts, read 1,035,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I don't see any correlation between a city being liberal and racially tolerant. There aren't any cities with overt racism, so I'd say pretty much every city.
Chicago definitely has overt racism. I would rank it worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City