Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 PM

28 posts, read 69,319 times

Advertisements

I know my take on this as a black man (will share it later in the thread) but wonder what others think. People of all races please offer your opinion (and why).

Feel free to offer your opinion from personal experience or from that of a friend, relative, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
I've heard Sacramento and Honolulu. Maybe Albuquerque, New Mexico and Madison, Wisconsin would be on the liberal side on race.

Although going by the other thing I've heard I might guess whatever city they have in the Virgin Islands. It is part of the US and I seem to recall reading it's fairly racially mixed with a different history on the matter.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
My home city, Sacramento is probably one of the most if not the most integrated and tolerant cities in the country. We have the diversity and tolerance San Fransisco likes to pretend they still have though we are more middle of the road. Most liberal cities I have seen are actually far from tolerant and are actually quite segregated and provincial. Places like SF, santa cruz, marin come to mind.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM

152 posts, read 220,114 times
I think in San Fransisco

Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,763,348 times
I'd say East Bay CA, particularly Berkeley.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
My home city, Sacramento is probably one of the most if not the most integrated and tolerant cities in the country. We have the diversity and tolerance San Fransisco likes to pretend they still have though we are more middle of the road. Most liberal cities I have seen are actually far from tolerant and are actually quite segregated and provincial. Places like SF, santa cruz, marin come to mind.
I heard that about Sacramento too. I know San Francisco is supposed to be this awesome gay mecca where everyone gets along. I don't know I couldn't put my finger on it but I just didnt' get that feeling there. I'd go out by myself and hardly anyone talked to me. It's too cost prohibitive to call itself diverse really. Well I certainly don't think its very diverse. This isn't to insult San Francisco it is a beautiful place but its actually too liberal to be all that integrated and tolerant.

Here in the VA suburbs of DC it is extremely diverse. The city itself is not that diverse but the suburbs of DC are sooooo diverse. Every country seems to be represented. At the same time the black population in my part of suburbia is kinda low at least for me coming from a town that's 50% black.

I can only go by my experience (haven't been to every city in the country) but I say right here in Northern Virginia. I'd dare say that the suburbs as a whole are the new places for diversity and tolerance. Cities, at least with DC and to a lesser extent Atlanta and Manhattan, seem to lack safe middle class neighborhoods. You're either in an extremely wealthy area or extremely poor area there's no middle ground. Thus the lack of diversity in many cities.

Other places that bring diversity to my mind would be Brooklyn and Queens (NOT Manhattan) along with New Jersey and Long Island. I also think of Los Angeles. I hear Dallas and Houston are getting pretty diverse as well. Parts of suburban Atlanta are diverse but not all parts.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Most major cities are very racially tolerant.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
I'm going to throw Portland into the mix... not as diverse, but definitely tolerant and liberal. Will let other people do the voting for places around here...
I'd say UCB campus and Stanford campus are fairly englightened...but hate using that word.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Oakland.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

439 posts, read 1,217,452 times
I read this as "Radically tolerant" and I was thinking to myself, "how do you tolerate someone in a radical way?"

I would disagree that Albuquerque is that tolerant. It's true that Hispanic, Native, Asian, black, and white people can all live together in the same neighborhood with no problems, but people still get very 'sensitive' about Native Americans. I can't bring up anything do with Native America without most people saying something like "you know, I think the real problem with Native Americans is...." If all I said was "I'm going to a Native American art show downtown tomorrow", why are you starting to tell me how you would 'fix' Native America?

Maybe this is true of the rest of the US too, I dunno. I've only lived here in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City