U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My favorite state is...
North Carolina 32 51.61%
Texas 30 48.39%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times

Advertisements

[quote=Steve-o;674379]

Texas hill country is every bit as beautiful as anything in NC, but then TX also has mountainous regions which dwarf those "mountains" (more like hills) that NC has. Plus, the topography is much better in TX, the cities are larger and much more cultural/entertaining, etc. And BBQ? Youre really going to compare NC's shoddy BBQ against the BBQ capital of the world? No comparo there, TX is far superior for cuisine as well. Here, maybe these pics will have you rethinking TX is ugly... Also, TX has far better weather and alot more sun...

Yes there are some mountains in Texas but I think the beauty of the North Carolina mountains for out shines anything in Texas. The mountains in Texas may be bigger, but not better, in my opinion. As far as the larger cities, I'm tired to that and if I never had BBQ again, that would be ok too. Your pictures are nice but I still prefer North Carolina. How can you even say Texas has better weather ???? Have you ever lived here?? Texas has the worst weather of any place I've ever been, it's just another reason I want to move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Our opinions vary of course, but I believe TX has better weather. Its sunnier, warmer, and you can choose from different climates in TX (look at Houston or El Paso), you cant do that in NC. NC is summer is as much of a steam bath as Texas is, with just slightly lower temps.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Our opinions vary of course, but I believe TX has better weather. Its sunnier, warmer, and you can choose from different climates in TX (look at Houston or El Paso), you cant do that in NC. NC is summer is as much of a steam bath as Texas is, with just slightly lower temps.
Have you ever lived here? The whole state has HOT HUMID AWFUL weather for about 9-10 months of the year. The weather in western N.C. is much cooler than and less humid than here. While yes it does get hot in N.C. too, it's just not as hot for nearly as long. Oh well, maybe you like the steam bath of Texas, every place is not for everyone

Old 05-06-2007, 01:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Have you ever lived here? The whole state has HOT HUMID AWFUL weather for about 9-10 months of the year.
Yoiks, you're living in Houston and making judgments about an entire state, almost half of which is desert?

Yes, the entire EASTERN HALF of Texas is very humid, but with some variation within that area. For example, Austin is very humid today but it's windy (typical of Austin on humid days) and it feels great to be outside with that wind.

You're in the WORST part of Texas. Do not judge a state the size of France based on your experience of living in a cross between Los Angeles and a sauna minus mountains or an "off" switch. Houston is hellish, I agree. I'm only 150 miles to the WNW of you and I know all too well how different it is between our locales. Many of my friends are from Houston and will testify that your comments are correct FOR HOUSTON but not for the entire state. Amarillo and Houston are the same? Dallas and El Paso?

The only thing I agree with you about is that Houston has a rough climate and the mountains of NC blow away anything we have in Texas unless one prefers barren desert mountains to the lush beauty of the place you long to be.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Yoiks, you're living in Houston and making judgments about an entire state, almost half of which is desert?

Yes, the entire EASTERN HALF of Texas is very humid, but with some variation within that area. For example, Austin is very humid today but it's windy (typical of Austin on humid days) and it feels great to be outside with that wind.

You're in the WORST part of Texas. Do not judge a state the size of France based on your experience of living in a cross between Los Angeles and a sauna minus mountains or an "off" switch. Houston is hellish, I agree. I'm only 150 miles to the WNW of you and I know all too well how different it is between our locales. Many of my friends are from Houston and will testify that your comments are correct FOR HOUSTON but not for the entire state. Amarillo and Houston are the same? Dallas and El Paso?

The only thing I agree with you about is that Houston has a rough climate and the mountains of NC blow away anything we have in Texas unless one prefers barren desert mountains to the lush beauty of the place you long to be.

Thank you. Shame that someone who lived there didnt even get out and explore the state and what it has to offer. Nothing against you ILNC, but alot of the state is warm and dry as a bone. Houston is another story of course... you experienced hot and humid conditions there. Go to the Big Bend NP area and youd see what a different country it really is in that part of the state.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Texas has better weather, a very nice diverse state (in the people and landscape). It also has larger cities. Austin is the city that closest resembles any in NC (scenery wise).

Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thank you. Shame that someone who lived there didnt even get out and explore the state and what it has to offer. Nothing against you ILNC, but alot of the state is warm and dry as a bone. Houston is another story of course... you experienced hot and humid conditions there. Go to the Big Bend NP area and youd see what a different country it really is in that part of the state.
I have been all across the BIG state and I still feel that it has horrible weather. I don't want warm dry weather, I want four seasons which North Carolina has. I don't understand how anyone could say Texas has better weather
unless you like this kind of stuff.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
There are plenty of places in Texas with four seasons. Don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM

414 posts, read 2,386,430 times
Quote:
I have been all across the BIG state and I still feel that it has horrible weather. I don't want warm dry weather, I want four seasons which North Carolina has. I don't understand how anyone could say Texas has better weather
I back North Carolina. Even in coastal Carolina you get more distinct seasons and you get the nice cold November Rain and some cooling off at that point. Lush greenery in North Carolina. The mountains give you wonderful breezes and theres nothing like a hot southern night.

Yeah Dallas Fort Worth gets four distinct seasons but what the poster means is that you can really see the leaves on the trees change and there are actually trees and stuff like that. I would miss that like hell moving anywhere out West.

The only place I'd want to live in Texas would be the Hill Country. Very pretty in its own right maybe because it has some more trees and lushness to it.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,520 times
Quote:
The answer to your question is contained in your post. You simply have a different preference.

I can easily understand preferring NC weather to anything in Texas. I prefer most of Texas because I have a limited tolerance for extreme humidity (and thus could never live in Houston!) and I don't like haze and dead air. Central and west Texas are much more clear at ground-level, windier, more air flow. It just feels "fresher" to me than east-coast air. And I like the vast open spaces, I tend to feel a bit hemmed in by the dense forests of the east. But that's all a matter of preferences, nobody's right or wrong about what they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or