U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My favorite state is...
North Carolina 32 51.61%
Texas 30 48.39%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,807,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I back up what you said 100+%. It's amazing how even people born and raised in NC hate it as much as I do. I only grew up here (which is unfortunate.) I didn't think anything of it until I got out and started doing some major traveling. The more I leave, the less I want to be here

They tell me that I ''should move.'' That's exactly what I am working on at the moment. Not to mention that the selection of jobs down here is crap. As ''UticaCalabrian'' said, there are also more jobs there. About the only city in the state with TONS of jobs (that I can see) here is Charlotte (a city that is a different world in its own compared to the rest of NC for some reason.) What is worse is that I may have to move to Charlotte soon. Then again, anything beats the over-rated Raleigh/Durham area.
As a Charlotte resident I do appreciate the Charlotte love(?) the jobs here aren't as available compared to Raleigh-Durham. The Texas cities trump NC in that regard. But I disagree with the bold statement. While I respect your opinion, as a native born and raised here (well I was born in SC) I just love NC and it's varied landscape. But more power to you as you look for your niche. I hope you enjoy Charlotte, as you've noted Charlotte is in a different league than the other NC cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 AM

27 posts, read 111,772 times
1) What about jobs in Texas vs North Carolina? Where would the software engineering jobs and GIS related jobs be? For TX, would it be Austin/Houston, and for NC, would it be the RTP area, High Point?

2) What about Asian food/grocery ? Sounds like more available in Houston. For NC, would that even be available ?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,227,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsteel View Post
1) What about jobs in Texas vs North Carolina? Where would the software engineering jobs and GIS related jobs be? For TX, would it be Austin/Houston, and for NC, would it be the RTP area, High Point?

2) What about Asian food/grocery ? Sounds like more available in Houston. For NC, would that even be available ?
There are many Asian food grocery stores in North Carolina. This is still one of the largest states. There are quite a few right here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm sure Charlotte has quite a few as well.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,807,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
There are many Asian food grocery stores in North Carolina. This is still one of the largest states. There are quite a few right here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm sure Charlotte has quite a few as well.
Yeah, Charlotte has quite a few.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 AM

43 posts, read 94,612 times
I think North Carolina is better choices to raise a family with kids, Great educationex. Duke, 4 seasons, Mountains, smoky mountains, Grand father mountain, Blue Ridge mountain, Ocean within hour, hour an half, close proximity to several bibber cities, ex DC, Atlantic city, south carolina etc etc. High tech induetries in RTP. great weather, falvor of both north and south.
Texas flat plain mostly, dirt dust in western part, illigals, HOT Hazy summer, no where to go, drive few hours you still in texas, topography just Flat, no Scenic views, Bible belt etc etc etc.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 289,387 times
I have lived 4yrs in Tyler (High School), 8yrs in Dallas, 3 1/2yrs in Waco, 2yrs in Austin, 8 months remote work in San Antonio and now I currently reside in Houston.

I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me. Most of you Texas fanatics are wrong as you probably haven't ventured outside of Texas your whole life. That is another bad thing about Texas, the people. Most of which are VERY close-minded and are VERY unaware of the world around them.

Texas is very hot from May thru October unless you live in Amarillo. Realistically nobody lives in El Paso or Amarillo, no jobs in EITHER or those cities. They're very small towns with poor growth and opportunity. So please don't speak about what you don't know...

Yeah there may be mountains (dirt hills) and interesting landscapes but realistically you would never live in those places. They're a good 7 hours drive from Dallas, Austin or Houston... I'm sorry but I wouldn't drive 7 hours on I-10 or I-20 to see that crap.

Everything is either in Dallas, Austin or Houston in terms of infrastructure, education and job opportunities. The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy (I live 10mins from Galveston) and let me tell you the people aren't the type of people you want to spend the day on the beach with!!! LOL... You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling...

Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible. I know because I commute to all three off and on through-out the months as we have family in both. Houston probably takes the cake in terms of worst traffic. Although Austin comes in second since the roads aren't developed enough to take on the recent influx of business and people from California. Houston definitely has the more "aggressive" drivers when compared to Dallas.

Right now it is 08/16/2011 2:20PM CST and the temp is 102 degrees outside and VERY humid. My glasses fog up when I step outside.

Houston:
- Hot and Very Humid
- Bad Traffic & Aggressive Drivers
- Muddy Beaches
- Very Blue-Collar
- Everyone drives a pickup truck
- High population of Black/Hispanic
- Bad Crime
- Lots of Toll Roads
- Ugly Downtown
- Everyone works for an Oil company
- More parks and recreation than Dallas or Austin

Dallas:
- Hot but not as humid as Houston
- Bad traffic around I-35, I-20, North Tollway and Central Expressway
- Very White Collar
- Mostly White/Hispanic/Indian (India)
- DISD has poor schools
- W. Plano/Frisco (Nicer Suburb Areas) are 45mins commute to Dallas and very uppity
- Very football/sports oriented, not education oriented
- NO TREES & I MEAN NO TREES
- Very few parks and recreation
- Downtown Areas Bad Crime
- Toll Roads (Not as expensive as Houston Tolls)
- Large and growing homosexual/transsexual population around Cedar Park area (Very Liberal Minded People)

Austin:
- Very Hot & Humid (Not quite as humid as Houston)
- Very Liberal (Most Liberal City in Texas)
- Lots of hippies
- Lots of homosexual & transsexual types
- Lots of Video Game Companies (Sony, Bioware)
- Bad traffic (Comparable to Dallas)
- Bad crime around Austin airport
- Very high rent and home prices
- Very high property taxes
- Very poor highway/road infrastructure
- Mostly White Collar
- Poor food choices outside of downtown Austin area
- No BIG trees, mostly live oak (10ft. max)
- Hills only on the west side surrounding Lake Travis
- Limited parks and recreation (lots of public restricted bird reservations, can we say HIPPIES???)

San Antonio:
- Very Hot (A little on the dry side of the heat spectrum)
- Lots of good Mexican food
- West San Antonio the nicer part
- Small opportunities outside of major employers such as USAA
- Dirty (roads littered with trash)
- High population of Hispanic
- Mostly Spanish speaking
- River Walk & Alamo are very unimpressive
- Very Catholic
- Mildly Conservative

Tyler
- Very Hot
- Very Southern Baptist (If you don't go to Green Acres Baptist Church, WATCH OUT!!! LOL)
- Close-Minded People
- Mix of White/Blue Collar
- Poor choice of housing
- Poor choice of food
- Mostly medical w/ very small IT opportunities
- Poor choices for College (UT Tyler - really? lol...)
- Bad traffic along Broadway (Wait times are comparable to some roads in Houston at 5pm)
- Mostly sandy soil with some pine trees
- Racist in some respects to Blacks/Hispanics
- Mostly White
- Very few public parks and recreation

El Paso:
- Mostly Hispanic
- Very Hot and Very Dry
- Lots of border issues with illegals
- High crime
- No jobs or opportunities
- Good Mexican food
- No trees
- Hills
- Lots of cactus
- No grass

Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,227,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpj82 View Post
I have lived 4yrs in Tyler (High School), 8yrs in Dallas, 3 1/2yrs in Waco, 2yrs in Austin, 8 months remote work in San Antonio and now I currently reside in Houston.

I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me. Most of you Texas fanatics are wrong as you probably haven't ventured outside of Texas your whole life. That is another bad thing about Texas, the people. Most of which are VERY close-minded and are VERY unaware of the world around them.

Texas is very hot from May thru October unless you live in Amarillo. Realistically nobody lives in El Paso or Amarillo, no jobs in EITHER or those cities. They're very small towns with poor growth and opportunity. So please don't speak about what you don't know...

Yeah there may be mountains (dirt hills) and interesting landscapes but realistically you would never live in those places. They're a good 7 hours drive from Dallas, Austin or Houston... I'm sorry but I wouldn't drive 7 hours on I-10 or I-20 to see that crap.

Everything is either in Dallas, Austin or Houston in terms of infrastructure, education and job opportunities. The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy (I live 10mins from Galveston) and let me tell you the people aren't the type of people you want to spend the day on the beach with!!! LOL... You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling...

Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible. I know because I commute to all three off and on through-out the months as we have family in both. Houston probably takes the cake in terms of worst traffic. Although Austin comes in second since the roads aren't developed enough to take on the recent influx of business and people from California. Houston definitely has the more "aggressive" drivers when compared to Dallas.

Right now it is 08/16/2011 2:20PM CST and the temp is 102 degrees outside and VERY humid. My glasses fog up when I step outside.

Houston:
- Hot and Very Humid
- Bad Traffic & Aggressive Drivers
- Muddy Beaches
- Very Blue-Collar
- Everyone drives a pickup truck
- High population of Black/Hispanic
- Bad Crime
- Lots of Toll Roads
- Ugly Downtown
- Everyone works for an Oil company
- More parks and recreation than Dallas or Austin

Dallas:
- Hot but not as humid as Houston
- Bad traffic around I-35, I-20, North Tollway and Central Expressway
- Very White Collar
- DISD has poor schools
- W. Plano/Frisco (Nicer Suburb Areas) are 45mins commute to Dallas and very uppity
- Very football/sports oriented, not education oriented
- NO TREES & I MEAN NO TREES
- Very few parks and recreation
- Downtown Areas Bad Crime
- Toll Roads (Not as expensive as Houston Tolls)
- Large and growing homosexual/transsexual population around Cedar Park area (Very Liberal Minded People)

Austin:
- Very Hot & Humid (Not quite as humid as Houston)
- Very Liberal (Most Liberal City in Texas)
- Lots of hippies
- Lots of homosexual & transsexual types
- Lots of Video Game Companies (Sony, Bioware)
- Bad traffic (Comparable to Dallas)
- Bad crime around Austin airport
- Very high rent and home prices
- Very high property taxes
- Very poor highway/road infrastructure
- Mostly White Collar
- Poor food choices outside of downtown Austin area
- No BIG trees, mostly live oak (10ft. max)
- Hills only on the west side surrounding Lake Travis
- Limited parks and recreation (lots of public restricted bird reservations, can we say HIPPIES???)

San Antonio:
- Very Hot (A little on the dry side of the heat spectrum)
- Lots of good Mexican food
- West San Antonio the nicer part
- Small opportunities outside of major employers such as USAA
- Dirty (roads littered with trash)
- High population of Hispanic
- Mostly Spanish speaking
- River Walk & Alamo are very unimpressive
- Very Catholic
- Mildly Conservative

Tyler
- Very Hot
- Very Southern Baptist (If you don't go to Green Acres Baptist Church, WATCH OUT!!! LOL)
- Close-Minded People
- Mix of White/Blue Collar
- Poor choice of housing
- Poor choice of food
- Mostly medical w/ very small IT opportunities
- Poor choices for College (UT Tyler - really? lol...)
- Bad traffic along Broadway (Wait times are comparable to some roads in Houston at 5pm)
- Mostly sandy soil with some pine trees
- Racist in some respects to Blacks/Hispanics
- Mostly White
- Very few public parks and recreation

El Paso:
- Mostly Hispanic
- Very Hot and Very Dry
- Lots of border issues with illegals
- High crime
- No jobs or opportunities
- Good Mexican food
- No trees
- Hills
- Lots of cactus
- No grass
Yuck! Houston has Black and Hispanics!? Racist much?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpj82 View Post

You made this statement; than went on to say some of the most backward and ignorant remarks ever made on this site. Everything is in Houston, Dallas or Austin??? What does that even mean??? If that's the case; would everything in NC being Charlotte and Triangle Area??

Texas will be glad to send you off.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsteel View Post

1) Technology related jobs are going to be in Austin and Dallas more so in Texas. GIS jobs are more abundant in Houston.

2) Asian grocery stores are very abundant in Houston and Dallas. Austin also has a couple.

Cant speak for North Carolina.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 961,109 times
Wow, the results to this poll really shocked me upon entering.

I could easily live in Dallas or Houston with no complaints because of the amount of jobs opportunities offered. I believe either far exceeds anything offered in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or