U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 203 50.88%
Southern Accent 196 49.12%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,083,031 times
lots of time when they start dressing like and saying they're from a place that they're not, they are not mocking the person that they are emulating.

also, i doubt CD is representative of the majority in our nation. a lot of southerners (and ppl from other regions) love the ny accent and try to imitate it. since we're on the net, youtube it. google it.

and i never said *everyone.*

also, i'm not a teenager, so...
and you don't see that kind of stuff on mtv anyway. nice try tho.

i like how ppl don't want to give ny any credit. like ppl are lining up to emulate southerners, mid westerners, ppl from the west coast. please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,092,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lots of time when they start dressing like and saying they're from a place that they're not, they are not mocking the person that they are emulating.

also, i doubt CD is representative of the majority in our nation. a lot of southerners (and ppl from other regions) love the ny accent and try to imitate it. since we're on the net, youtube it. google it.

i like how ppl don't want to give ny any credit. like ppl are lining up to emulate southerners, mid westerners, ppl from the west coast. please.
Credit for what?? LOL

Your logic is flawed and BS.

Most likely they are mocking you and you've some how found a way to turn that into a compliment. It's tons of videos on the web of people imitating the Texas accent; However, I have enough sense to know all they are doing is mocking it. They aren't trying to be like us or stealing our style.

YouTube - Texas accent

Please, get over yourself and kill your ego before it gets too big. We don't need another.....you know who.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
eek

lol @ this foolishness.

like ppl aren't into ny outside of ny. yeah, ok. we all believe that. ny is considered the greatest for a reason.
half the nations slang, style of dress, etc. trickle down from ny. the music the youth listened to from 79-2003 trickled down from ny.
the stores you see claiming to sell clothing you'd see in ny (that are lying to the ppl in whatever state its in), the stores claiming to sell ny pizza, franks, bagels, etc.

are all trying to mock us!

ahahahaha.

ppl i've run into from "brooklyn, queens." from the bronx (oh, what part? oh you know, bedstuy..), that are fascinated by how nyers say certain words, that want to go to ny so bad that try so hard to emulate the way that we dress...

they're all mocking us.

oh ok.

guess tourism in ny is a result of ppl trying to mock us in person?
guess all the love from 9/11 and the american's mayor title punk ___ giuliani had was a mockery?

guess 90% of the threads asking about moving to ny in the nyc section of CD is mockery.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,805,536 times
Quote:

So you are trying to tell me that people on MTV do not talk slang?

I am not talking accent since that was not what you brought up even though it is what the thread was about.

And youtube and google what?

This thread was about whether people prefered a northern or southern accent. Based on the poll results c-d posters prefer the southern accent.

While you may hear some of the younger generation talking slang I don't know how you equate that to a northern accent.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
lol @ this foolishness.

like ppl aren't into ny outside of ny. yeah, ok. we all believe that. ny is considered the greatest for a reason.
half the nations slang, style of dress, etc. trickle down from ny. the music the youth trickles down from ny.
the stores you see claiming to sell clothing you'd see in ny (that are lying to the ppl in whatever state its in), the stores claiming to sell ny pizza, franks, bagels, etc.

ahahahaha.

ppl i've run into from "brooklyn, queens." from the bronx (oh, what part? oh you know, bedstuy..), that are fascinated by how nyers say certain words, that want to go to ny so bad that try so hard to emulate the way that we dress...

they're all mocking us.

oh ok.
BBQ, soul food, rodeos, southern hospitality, style, music, cities, culture,etc

^^^Doubt I'd find this stuff in NYC.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So you are trying to tell me that people on MTV do not talk slang?

I am not talking accent since that was not what you brought up even though it is what the thread was about.

And youtube and google what?

This thread was about whether people prefered a northern or southern accent. Based on the poll results c-d posters prefer the southern accent.

While you may hear some of the younger generation talking slang I don't know how you equate that to a northern accent.
reread what i said. i've mentioned both accent AND slang.

i'm not trying to repeat myself. just reread what i've posted and keep it in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
BBQ, soul food, rodeos, southern hospitality, style, music, cities, culture,etc

^^^Doubt I'd find this stuff in NYC.
take a trip and be surprised.

you won't find rodeos, but everything else is represented.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,805,536 times
Quote:
reread what i said. i've mentioned both accent AND slang.

i'm not trying to repeat myself. just reread what i've posted and keep it in context.

take a trip and be surprised.

you won't find rodeos, but everything else is represented.
I read everything you posted.

You probably think they don't have moster truck shows in Ny either.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM
eek

ny has pretty much anything you could think of. i'm not into monster truck shows but i'm sure if a person was, they could find one somewhere in the city. your point? ny has always been a melting pot of cultures.

its the other places that lack variety. its what makes ny unique and sought after. its one of the reasons why ppl outside of ny emulate us.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM

3,559 posts, read 4,371,266 times
Quote:
lol @ this foolishness.

half the nations slang, style of dress, etc. trickle down from ny. the music the youth listened to from 79-2003 trickled down from ny.

ahahahaha.

they're all mocking us.

oh ok.

guess tourism in ny is a result of ppl trying to mock us in person?
guess all the love from 9/11 and the american's mayor title punk ___ giuliani had was a mockery?

guess 90% of the threads asking about moving to ny in the nyc section of CD is mockery.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
ny has pretty much anything you could think of. i'm not into monster truck shows but i'm sure if a person was, they could find one somewhere in the city. your point? ny has always been a melting pot of cultures.

its the other places that lack variety. its what makes ny unique and sought after. its one of the reasons why ppl outside of ny emulate us.
You sound like you trying to emulate Kanye West right now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City