Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:30 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Ah, your old fall back when you have nothing relevant to say.
Being a Realtor really has nothing to do with this.
word of mouth beats anything else. I wonder how many people I might have caused to change their minds just by living here? I go back to NY several times a year, mostly in the Fall and Winter. It is really a major trama for me to get back on that plane to Florida. Yeah, even in the WINTER. I try to hide it, but I cannot help myself. I CRY all the way back to Florida. People see me. They ask me what is wrong. They are coming here for their winter vacations and I am coming back to Florida to LIVE.

I have had many a conversation on planes. People give me tissues as they listen to me about how horrible it is to live here. Hear that, Mr. Real Estate Agent. I am not putting on any act. I don't want to come back here. These vacationers, some who had thoughts of living here year round, are absolutely amazed to hear what I say. "Wow". "I never thought of it that way."

Hopefully, in my sorrow I can give somebody else something to think about. Maybe THAT is why I am here.

Nope. Actually living in Florida, as I have said in the past, I am the state's WORST publicity agent. You can promote all you want online, but it is the people like me, and others, who will hold far more sway than somebody who has a PROFIT MOTIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
word of mouth beats anything else. I wonder how many people I might have caused to change their minds just by living here? I go back to NY several times a year, mostly in the Fall and Winter. It is really a major trama for me to get back on that plane to Florida. Yeah, even in the WINTER. I try to hide it, but I cannot help myself. I CRY all the way back to Florida. People see me. They ask me what is wrong. They are coming here for their winter vacations and I am coming back to Florida to LIVE.

I have had many a conversation on planes. People give me tissues as they listen to me about how horrible it is to live here. Hear that, Mr. Real Estate Agent. I am not putting on any act. I don't want to come back here. These vacationers, some who had thoughts of living here year round, are absolutely amazed to hear what I say. "Wow". "I never thought of it that way."

Hopefully, in my sorrow I can give somebody else something to think about. Maybe THAT is why I am here.

Nope. Actually living in Florida, as I have said in the past, I am the state's WORST publicity agent. You can promote all you want online, but it is the people like me, and others, who will hold far more sway than somebody who has a PROFIT MOTIVE.
Off topic.

This is a thread about accents, not another "let's bash Florida" thread.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Somebody else started this

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Off topic.

This is a thread about accents, not another "let's bash Florida" thread.
Originally, I said you will NOT get a Southern accent living in the South for a few years. The South is NOT that powerful.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally, I said you will NOT get a Southern accent living in the South for a few years. The South is NOT that powerful.
Just like you will not get a Northern accent living in the North for a few years.

The North, and the Northeast in particular, are HARDLY that powerful.

The SOUTH appears to be OWNING the North in the thread AND the poll.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Just like you will not get a Northern accent living in the North for a few years.

The North, and the Northeast in particular, are HARDLY that powerful.

The SOUTH appears to be OWNING the North in the thread AND the poll.
You will see, as others have said, in the next Census. Count ME as one LEAVING. As far as the poll, people may think it is "cute", but when it comes to business and getting ahead, NO ACCENT is the best accent of all.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
You will see, as others have said, in the next Census. Count ME as one LEAVING.
It official, my parents are also moving back to NJ by the summer.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:

That's all well and good except for the fact that I don't get emotional on here telling people how much they would love Florida, I also don't beat the same old tired stories to death as you do.

I try and post mostly fact maybe a little opinion. Try that sometime, it might enlighten you a bit.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
There may be some doing that but it is a minimal amount of the overall numbers.
You asked for my numbers, my answer was that it’s just my opinion. So, where are your numbers? I would love to see these numbers that you are talking about. The argument about why people are moving south is just my opinion versus your opinion.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:01 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
From Geico's FB page.

Mary Black Who does the voice for the pothole? It's a really funny commercial.
Wed at 9:36pm · Report

GEICO A voiceover actress out of New York. Glad you like it!
Yesterday at 9:27am · Report

GEICO | Facebook
I don’t care if she is from Hong Kong, Alabama, Florida, New York City, Chicago or Russia because that accent is flat out ANNOYING. But, I just looked up Mary Black and she is from Dublin, Ireland.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
I don’t care if she is from Hong Kong, Alabama, Florida, New York City, Chicago or Russia because that accent is flat out ANNOYING. But, I just looked up Mary Black and she is from Dublin, Ireland.
That's good. You figured out where the person asking the question is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City