U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 203 50.88%
Southern Accent 196 49.12%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,247,521 times
Reputation: 277

Advertisements

Down South hands down, when I travel I always bag a female just off of my accent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
 
5,973 posts, read 3,667,077 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Down South hands down, when I travel I always bag a female just off of my accent
Do you sound like this:

YouTube - Becca's Southern Accent

Or like this?

YouTube - Shawty Lo Searches For T.I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM
 
155 posts, read 30,777 times
Reputation: 51
Her accent isnt that strong IMO.

The black guy, yeah, terrible accent (and a terrible emcee as well, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Down South hands down, when I travel I always bag a female just off of my accent
travel up rather than down and see if your accent gets you play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
As for Northern, anything south of New York is fine with me. I 'm not too crazy about New York or Brooklyn accents. And I think the Boston accent is downright ugly.
brooklyn is in ny and ppl from brooklyn don't have an accent thats any different than someone from queens or the bronx, i promise you.

*edit*
one of the most annoying things on the planet is an extra country, loud southern female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,737,595 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
travel up rather than down and see if your accent gets you play.
A southern accent doesn't get you play in the South...but it does everywhere else in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A southern accent doesn't get you play in the South...but it does everywhere else in the world.
a northern accent gets you more places.

we get play inside and outside of the tristate, easily. our accent alone gets ppl intrigued but then you have to add our swagger. put a person from TN in NYC and see what happens vs. putting a person from NYC in TN.

for example. there's a huge stigma/stereotype about southern ppl and a lot of it has to do with accent alone. we open our mouths and ppl wanna hear more. they think we're smart, quick, etc. etc.

a southern person opens their mouth and ppl think they're slow, uneducated, etc.

not saying its true that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,737,595 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a northern accent gets you more places.

we get play inside and outside of the tristate, easily. our accent alone gets ppl intrigued but then you have to add our swagger. put a person from TN in NYC and see what happens vs. putting a person from NYC in TN.

for example. there's a huge stigma/stereotype about southern ppl and a lot of it has to do with accent alone. we open our mouths and ppl wanna hear more. they think we're smart, quick, etc. etc.

a southern person opens their mouth and ppl think they're slow, uneducated, etc.

not saying its true that they are.
Let me educate you on accents...a person's accent has nothing to do with his education level - that comes through loud and clear, regardless of the accent. Speaking proper English will cause people to listen...not any particular regional accent. I guess I'm not very interested in people who don't understand the difference OR in anyone who lives their life around silly, unfounded stereotypes.

I have a slightly southern accent, but it's really pretty neutral. But when I've traveled, it always gets positive attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Let me educate you on accents...a person's accent has nothing to do with his education level - that comes through loud and clear, regardless of the accent. Speaking proper English will cause people to listen...not any particular regional accent. I guess I'm not very interested in people who don't understand the difference OR in anyone who lives their life around silly, unfounded stereotypes.

I have a slightly southern accent, but it's really pretty neutral. But when I've traveled, it always gets positive attention.
first off, you don't have to educate me on a thing. i graduated from college a few years ago.

second thing... reading is fundamental. i promise you.

where did i say that i think that accent = education level? point it out.











oh ok.

third thing. accent does make ppl pay attention to what you say, if they are not used to hearing the accent. put a person from ny in a rural part of anywheresville, usa and they will raise eyebrows. put a person from new orleans in ny, for that matter, and they will raise eyebrows as well.

accent is a "big" deal. this thread was made for a reason.

fourth...did i ask you what you were interested in? oh ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
 
16,623 posts, read 14,353,196 times
Reputation: 11492
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
for example. there's a huge stigma/stereotype about southern ppl and a lot of it has to do with accent alone. we open our mouths and ppl wanna hear more. they think we're smart, quick, etc. etc.
The "northern accent" stereotype in the south is that of a "Know-it-all". The guy who just won't shut up, and we're all culturally conditioned to be polite, let him keep talking. In fact, as a young kid, this was the first northern stereotype I was ever exposed to.. it is not a fringe opinion, either, it is easily the most dominant negative stereotype about people from the north.

The fact that you interpret this as "ppl wanna hear more" cracks me up!

I'm not saying the stereotype is legit, I know northern people of all stripes. I'm just saying that your perspective on it is really, really funny to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Reputation: 1329
reading is underrated. given that this is a forum, it baffles my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The "northern accent" stereotype in the south is that of a "Know-it-all". The guy who just won't shut up, and we're all culturally conditioned to be polite, let him keep talking.
i disagree. i think you're getting offended and going with what you're saying but its not correct.

the stereotype is based out of some truth (like all stereotypes) but its cloaked in ignorance. ppl that don't know many ppl from the south, and/or have very limited experience being around someone with the south believe stuff like that. its not that they're know it alls...its almost the opposite. they don't know what they're talking about.

with that said, southerners are NOT all "culturally conditioned to be polite." that is something that ppl say but its just not true at all. i like how some ppl in the NE buy into this pseudo politeness that is also a stereotype that southerners love to embrace.

Quote:
The fact that you interpret this as "ppl wanna hear more" cracks me up!

I'm not saying the stereotype is legit, I know northern people of all stripes. I'm just saying that your perspective on it is really, really funny to me.
so you would say the same thing to deaconj, when he says how ppl love his accent outside of atl?

i promise you that the ny accent is iconic. i also promise you that, although i do not think that southern ppl with southern accents are dumb because of their accent, some ppl believe this. a lot of ppl believe that southern ppl are less educated and stupid/slower in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top