U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 203 50.88%
Southern Accent 196 49.12%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,222,640 times

Advertisements

so...now that i'm home, i see exactly how hard it is to find a video with a person speaking in their accent. maaaaaaaaaad ppl have vids with them attempting to speak in a different accent...so basically i have to find somebody that i know for sure comes from a specific area and try to find a vid that isn't long. this makes it much harder.

with that said, a few from

NY:

YouTube - Tony Yayo Disses Young Buck On Shade45 [INTERVIEW]

Rosie P:

YouTube - Rosie Perez's Big Mouth May Have Been Her Big Break

Rosie O

YouTube - Rosie O'Donnell has a new crush - not Tom Cruise!

Ron Artest:

YouTube - Ron Artest on ejection in Game 2 of Rockets-Lakers series
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,617,990 times
Rosie O'Donnell is from one town over from me

Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,534,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Rosie O'Donnell is from one town over from me
Does she bite?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,617,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Does she bite?

huh?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so you watched the vid right?

post a bar from the vid. go ahead, i'll wait.
What is that video suppose to prove exactly??? I hope you don't think your proving anything because I don't sound like that and neither do most of the people that I chill with.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,398,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'll also add this. I find it interesting how accents tend to be very "contagious". For instance, if let's say a very eloquent and educated investment banker, is talking to his plumber, or even the security guard in his Manhattan office lobby -- he tends to "dumb down" his speech to a more casual level, in response to the blue collar man's fairly heavy accent. This happens ALL the time, and in BOTH directions. Very interesting.

I have the unique experience of currently co-existing in 2 careers, one in the white collar business world and one in the blue collar world. In the blue collar world, I must say that I am much more eloquent and less "accent-y" than most of my peers. I have found that when I exhibit a certain level of speech, my counterparts tend to at least attempt to "talk up", and be more conscientious of their sentence structure, and tone down the thick accent. Has anybody else found this?
I get what you're saying. I describe my accent as 'mild mixed up Southern' because I grew up hearing different regional accents and I'm from the South (Atlanta). To get to the point, when talking, I sometimes pronounce words like the person I'm conversing with (unknowingly). One of my friends is from Bridgeport, CT and we actually talked about how our accents rubbed off on each other.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,398,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
GA is next. lord Jesus don't get me started on atlanta.
get ready to claim:

wotah (water)
herre
gerden (garden)
screet
etc.
This is funny. I don't hear too many "wotahs" in my city because most Atlantans pronounce it as war-ter, war-der, or the non-rhotic version of the two. The majority of people in Atlanta either say here like the rest of the nation or say it in a non rhotic way, hih (here's a way=his a way). That herr for here became popular when Nelly came on the scene and they actually talk like that in NE TN. I have never heard gerden. I have heard screet a lot but that's more of a down South street thing. What else do you have on this subject? I don't really think rappers are good examples (especially if they are rapping because they intentionally distort their speech to rhyme). If you find any 1st or second generation Atlantans post them up.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
This is funny. I don't hear too many "wotahs" in my city because most Atlantans pronounce it as war-ter, war-der, or the non-rhotic version of the two. The majority of people in Atlanta either say here like the rest of the nation or say it in a non rhotic way, hih (here's a way=his a way). That herr for here became popular when Nelly came on the scene and they actually talk like that in NE TN. I have never heard gerden. I have heard screet a lot but that's more of a down South street thing. What else do you have on this subject? I don't really think rappers are good examples (especially if they are rapping because they intentionally distort their speech to rhyme). If you find any 1st or second generation Atlantans post them up.
i think ppl are intentionally looking down on rappers. rappers are usually from working class families. so its like ppl are saying that working class ppl shouldn't be considered representatives of the way that the average joe speaks.

i don't think that thats very fair.

i didn't post rappers from ny (rapping) because some ppl on the south's side disliked the use of rappers...but i would not shy away from using NY rappers in my argument about northern vs southern accents, provided that said rapper(s) haven't been shot in the mouth.

with that said, a lot of rappers rap how they talk. some don't (50 cent, IMHO doesn't actually speak in a conversation like he raps...if you guys had hot 97 you'd know that)...but most do.

i'll post examples of NY rappers in a min. i have some work to do.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
eek

YouTube - Camron - Call Me Dame Ft Jim Jones Diplomats Dame Dash New !

listen to cam's pronunciation.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
eek

YouTube - Cam'ron & Juelz Santana Streets Is watching

cam speaks in this one before rapping. again, listen to his pronunciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City