Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 832 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Herndon VA(DC suburbs), making $70k/yr. I'm trying to decide b/w Basking Ridge NJ and Lake Mary FL(Orlando area). Salary in Lake Mary would by 70k, Basking Ridge 77K. Can you help me with the pros and cons for the two?
I'm close to 30 yrs old, single, ride a motorcycle everyday to work, love going out for a few beers and food.
Which city would suit me better? I've read Basking Ridge society can be a little racist at times, Orlando much more so. I know Orlando is cheaper, but how's life for an immigrant there?
What are your thoughts? Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks, MC Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
New Jersey in general has a very large Indian and Indian-American population. I grew up in Central New Jersey and have had numerous Indian classmates and neighbors my entire life. I can assure you it would not be an issue being Indian in Basking Ridge.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGuy View Post
I'm currently living in Herndon VA(DC suburbs), making $70k/yr. I'm trying to decide b/w Basking Ridge NJ and Lake Mary FL(Orlando area). Salary in Lake Mary would by 70k, Basking Ridge 77K. Can you help me with the pros and cons for the two?
I'm close to 30 yrs old, single, ride a motorcycle everyday to work, love going out for a few beers and food.
Which city would suit me better? I've read Basking Ridge society can be a little racist at times, Orlando much more so. I know Orlando is cheaper, but how's life for an immigrant there?
What are your thoughts? Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks, MC Guy
I live in the immediate area you're considering in Florida and have lived many years in the Northeast US (DC and Philly)...and have a good working knowledge of the area of NJ you're talking about as well. I would label the "much more racist" tag of this area false. There is a very significant and visible South Asian population in the Lake Mary-Sanford area, and it's growing. Your 70K salary will allow a much more comfortable lifestyle and there are some really nice rental options including some within walking/biking distance of what is probably your work location along with lots of restaurants/bars, grocery store, drug store etc. Feel free to send me a direct mail message if you have more questions.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:29 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,208,036 times
I think the cost of living and tax differences would more than counteract getting a 10% higher salary in central New Jersey vs. Orlando. The weather in Florida would also be more conducive to pleasant motorcycle riding much of the year :-). Both areas are demographic melting pots with people of many different ethnicities. NJ would have more of your nationality per capita, but FL has a larger share of non-local natives overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City