Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Rachael,
the accents in NY are horrible IMO. Im from TXS and would much rather hear a Georgia Peach talk over any woman up north..
Everyone's entitled to there own opinion, I'd rather hear a GA girl or a NO girl talk as opposed to a Tennessee girl or a TX girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
...Nice how you assume we all say "yo son" We're not all from the hood here. A lot of girls from the hood don't even talk like that. Take it from me, who teaches kids in the hood. And nycricanpapi can agree since he grew up in the south Bronx.

And how you say that all southern accent are unattractive. Not all the men down south sound like hillbillies or rednecks either. You can take it from me, who is currently in the Air Force and has met southerners from different states. And you can ask youngmichaeljackson and deaconj can agree since they live in the Atlanta area.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
And how you say that all southern accent are unattractive. Not all the men down south sound like hillbillies or rednecks either. You can take it from me, who is currently in the Air Force and has met southerners from different states. And you youngmichaeljackson and deaconj can agree since they live in the Atlanta area.
The Southern accent is unatttractive and that is a fact. I never hear in the TV people talking with the Southern accent. Only in Cowboys movies, or in farmer movies of course. Other than that no way.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The Southern accent is unatttractive and that is a fact. I never hear in the TV people talking with the Southern accent. Only in Cowboys movies, or in farmer movies of course. Other than that no way.
And those people aren't even southerners in reality. Our accent is attractive don't get mad js look at the results of the polls...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
THAT is an opinion, not a fact. My 3rd graders can even tell the difference.

Who are "the TV people"? Transvestites?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol nah man, I like when NY girls talk like this:

YouTube - Babs Addresses The Remy Ma And Foxy Brown Situation!
That accent was a turn off. I think NO have the best accents.

YouTube - Mia X Interview - thugplay.com

Houston women also have sexy accents:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWh1...eature=related

Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Everyone's entitled to there own opinion, I'd rather hear a GA girl or a NO girl talk as opposed to a Tennessee girl or a TX girl.
That's true b/c I'd rather hear a girl from Boston talk as opposed to a NY girl or whatever she sounds like....

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM

155 posts, read 158,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a northern accent gets you more places.

we get play inside and outside of the tristate, easily. our accent alone gets ppl intrigued but then you have to add our swagger. put a person from TN in NYC and see what happens vs. putting a person from NYC in TN.

for example. there's a huge stigma/stereotype about southern ppl and a lot of it has to do with accent alone. we open our mouths and ppl wanna hear more. they think we're smart, quick, etc. etc.

a southern person opens their mouth and ppl think they're slow, uneducated, etc.

not saying its true that they are.

Wow! You belong in South FL man! You'll fit right in man!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree. i think you're getting offended and going with what you're saying but its not correct.

the stereotype is based out of some truth (like all stereotypes) but its cloaked in ignorance. ppl that don't know many ppl from the south, and/or have very limited experience being around someone with the south believe stuff like that. its not that they're know it alls...its almost the opposite. they don't know what they're talking about.

i promise you that the ny accent is iconic. i also promise you that, although i do not think that southern ppl with southern accents are dumb because of their accent, some ppl believe this. a lot of ppl believe that southern ppl are less educated and stupid/slower in general.

I'm not pulling your chain here, or making random comments. I admit that I deeply despise the state of New Jersey, but the north in general (and its accents) are a minor issue to me.

I understand that southern accents are stereotyped as "dumb". You didn't invent that stereotype, you're just repeating it, I understand that. Likewise, I honestly mean it when I say that the dominant stereotype of the northern accent is that he or she "knows it all" and won't stop talking.

I will concede that if you have a strong regional accent, say from Brooklyn or Boston, and you go to some economically depressed (and non-migratory) area of the south, you will be the object of peoples' curiosity.

Quote:
so you would say the same thing to deaconj, when he says how ppl love his accent outside of atl?
I don't know what deaconj's accent sounds like.

Personally, I have female relatives from Philly, who tell me, "OMG you'd get so many girls up here with that accent." I figure that's hyperbole. I don't know, I have never put it to the test.

Last edited by le roi; 10-07-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
And those people aren't even southerners in reality. Our accent is attractive don't get mad js look at the results of the polls...
I am not angry because of the poll. People created fake accounts to win this poll so that there would be more votes towards the Southern accent. Outside of CD people will find the Southern accent unattractive, so I am not vexed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City