Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis vs. Houston
Minneapolis 77 59.23%
Houston 53 40.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,044,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not sure if you are from Minneapolis but apparently they didn't rank on the most humorous cities list.
Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

815 posts, read 2,124,061 times
Never been nor wanted to go to Minneapolis, but I would think Houston is allot more urban and more diverse than Minneapolis. Despite that the winters up there would cancel it for me anyway. Not to mention that Im sure I would like Houston a whole lot more being that I am young black male, so my vote goes to H-Town!!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
What makes you think Houston is a lot more urban than Minneapolis? It is more diverse, but Minneapolis (the city, anyway) is probably far more diverse than what you may think. The days of it all being Scandinavian and German are long gone.

And to the previous poster who questioned the high Somali population in Minneapolis, why do you "highly doubt" that the Twin Cities have the highest Somali population in North America? Spend any time in the city and you'll see many, many Somali residents. It's a huge change from Somalia, that's for sure, but typically refugees don't select their new homes based on weather.

I much prefer Minneapolis because I hate the heat and humidity (and yes, it is plenty urban), but I will say that when I visited Houston for the first time I was impressed that it was more urban than what I had expected.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Again, a simple Google search is more than enough proof that Minneapolis - St. Paul has the largest Somali population in the country.

Associated Press
In Minneapolis, home to the largest population of Somali immigrants in the U.S., a federal investigation into the missing men is illuminating the recruiting.
The Associated Press: Somali militants use many tactics to woo Americans

Wikipedia
The heaviest concentrations of Somalis in the US are in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and Saint Paul), followed by Washington, DC; Columbus, Ohio; New York City; Buffalo, New York; Kansas City; San Diego and San Francisco metro areas.
Somali diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huffington Post
In Minneapolis, home to the largest population of Somali immigrants in the U.S., a federal investigation into the missing men is illuminating the recruiting.
Minneapolis Youth Wooed By Web-Savvy Somali Militants

Taiwan News
In Minnesota, where the largest U.S. population of Somali immigrants is concentrated in Minneapolis, authorities believe as many as 20 young men have traveled to Somalia to join in fighting there.
FBI reaching out to Somali communities - Taiwan News Online

MSNBC
‘Violent’ Somali militants woo Americans - Security- msnbc.com

CBS News
On election night last November, the outcome was wildly celebrated by Somalis living in Minneapolis, 70,000-strong, mostly refugees from their war-torn country. It is the largest Somali community in the United States, reports CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds.
FBI Watching Somali Muslims In Minneapolis - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Never been nor wanted to go to Minneapolis, but I would think Houston is allot more urban and more diverse than Minneapolis.
LOL!. Just so you know Minneapolis has a population density of 6970 while Houston has a density of 3870.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,089,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL! Classic statement as so many people here cry about how ignorant people are about the south. Just so you know Minneapolis has a population density of 6970 while Houston has a density of 3870. We will excuse your ignorance.
Houston is WAY more diverse though

Old 09-14-2009, 03:56 PM

572 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Well that settles it then. Someone thinks Houston is denser and it's more diverse so it must be better.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Houston is WAY more diverse though
Agreed.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,089,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Which city would you rather live in, better shopping, entertainment, attractions, nightlife, cost of living, skyline, urban/suburban living, etc.?
Shopping = Houston
Entertainment is subjective
Attractions = Houston
Nightlife = Houston
Cost of living = same
Skyline = Houston

Minneapolis is very nice and can beat just about every other city its size in these areas but Houston is just way bigger and more cosmopolitan

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL!. Just so you know Minneapolis has a population density of 6970 while Houston has a density of 3870.
LOL! What's even funnier is Houston is 579 sqm and Minneapolis is 54 sqm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City