Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are not many non-Falcons fans at the Georgia Dome...it's easy to tell by the sea of red. The Falcons have been in Atlanta for 45 years...in your opinion, how long should a team be in town to "form allegiences"?
Yeah but when Pittsburgh and Dallas play there, they pretty much nearly take over the stadium.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Southern sports is all about winning, we don't have too many "moral" victories down here. And if your team sucks, the local area won't support you.
For the most part.

I did find it interesting that despite being 12 games under .500 and out of contention for much of the pennant race, the Astros are one of only 13 MLB teams to average more than 30K a game in 2009. And the only Southern team to do so, incidentally.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but when Pittsburgh and Dallas play there, they pretty much nearly take over the stadium.
No they do not...not even close. I'm not sure where you're coming up with that information, but try watching a Falcons home game sometime and you'll easily see that you're mistaken.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
For the most part.

I did find it interesting that despite being 12 games under .500 and out of contention for much of the pennant race, the Astros are one of only 13 MLB teams to average more than 30K a game in 2009. And the only Southern team to do so, incidentally.
Houston is 13th in attendance, Atlanta is 14th in attendance with just under 30,000 per game.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
For the most part.

The Astros have done pretty good at the gate even though we have been out of it for awhile. I guess the fans remember all those fantastic finishes to the last 5 or 6 seasons

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Not hardly, while both teams fan base are always well represented when they play away games, they never take over the GA Dome, not even close. Dallas & Pittsburgh fans dont have the gonads to come into the GA Dome and try and take anything over anyway, most people are scared to death of the area around the Dome, let alone come into the Dome and try and take it over. Inside fights between fans are not uncommon in the Dome, and in the nose bleeds are actually quite expected. Falcons vs. Saints games look like a scene out of fight club up there.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Houston is 13th in attendance, Atlanta is 14th in attendance with just under 30,000 per game.
They should be drawing much more than that though as a winning, contending team. Although I'm sure a lot more far beyond Atlanta are following the Braves the same way they began to - on TBS. But yeah, 29K's still pretty weaksauce for a team that entered September with every reason to think they could be playing in October, while the Astros have been dismal for the most part and had every reason to think they'd be playing golf in October.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
They should be drawing much more than that though as a winning, contending team. Although I'm sure a lot more far beyond Atlanta are following the Braves the same way they began to - on TBS. But yeah, 29K's still pretty weaksauce for a team that entered September with every reason to think they could be playing in October, while the Astros have been dismal for the most part and had every reason to think they'd be playing golf in October.
So 14th in the league isn't good enough? Hmmm...and you may not remember but the Braves were not a winning/contending team in the first half of the season.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
The Thrashers played their first game on October 2, 1999. Not a new team? Wrong! It's not an excuse, it's a fact that Atlanta's NHL team is a newer team and therefore has not established a large or loyal fan following. There will have to be some winning before that happens - in ANY city.

At 22nd out of 30 teams, Atlanta's attendance was better than Boston, New Jersey, Washington, New York, Chicago, and St. Louis.

What in the world is "muddin"? I've never heard of it. I guess you must have lived around the "muddin" type of people - which we know live all over the world. If you think they only live in the South, then there is no need to continue this discussion.
Yes, the thrashers played their first game ten years ago. Therefore, the thrashers are not a new team. Sorry, I don't believe your excuse. Atlanta finished 23rd out of 30 spots in attendance, which is not good. Atlanta finished higher than Anaheim, Nashville, New Jersey, St Louis, DC, Chicago and NY Islanders. But, look at who they beat out. As a whole people on the west coast people do not watch hockey so it didn’t surprise me that they beat out Anaheim. Current metro numbers, Atlanta has 5,729,304 million, St Louis has 2,754,328 and Nashville has 1,632,671. I would hope that Atlanta could beat out St Louis because it has twice the people and Nashville because it has three times the people. It would be pretty pathetic if they can’t, don’t you think? If you have not noticed the New York City metro area supports three teams. The NY Islanders are on Long Island, NJ Devils are in North Jersey and NY Rangers play in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. Congratulations Atlanta, you were able to beat out one city that supports three NHL teams! And I do believe that THE MAJOIRTY of people that go muddin live in the deep south. As stated earlier, I never heard muddin before I moved to the deep south for a short stint. This is my opinion versus yours.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So if you've never heard of it, I guess it must not exist.

There are off-roading clubs in every state in the nation. There are 4x4 trails all over the nation; New York, Maine, California, Texas, Washington, Canada, you name it.

I'm pretty sure personal attacks are against the rules of this forum. I try to stick to facts here, not conjecture based upon what you think you know about me.
I am not denying that this happens all over the U.S. My arguments is that THE MAJORITY of it happens in the deep south. Do you understand what THE MAJORITY means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City