Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 AM

116 posts, read 244,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Tokyo is another one of those sardine cans. Plus Tokyo can't even compete with the amenities of Lake Michigan along the Chicago shore. So yeah, Chicago ahead of Tokyo makes sense. Not everybody thinks of sardine-living amidst concrete and steel (and even neon bilboards and signs) as the highest quality of life.
One other problem with Tokyo is it is totally not diverse at all. Great city though and it's transit system is easily #1 in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM

315 posts, read 661,056 times
^^ And Tokyo's lack of diversity is a major reason why I don't feel it deserves a '10' in "food and drink" either -- not if the ability to obtain quality authentic food from countries all around the world (ala NYC) is important to you. Tokyo fails to be a truly international, cosmopolitan city.

That and Japan's xenophobic attitudes make it a more difficult place for non-Japanese to live there over the long haul (although Tokyo is still a great place to visit).

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-15-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,807,942 times
New York City

Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 PM

517 posts, read 1,313,147 times
"Tokyo is another one of those sardine cans. Plus Tokyo can't even compete with the amenities of Lake Michigan along the Chicago shore. So yeah, Chicago ahead of Tokyo makes sense. Not everybody thinks of sardine-living amidst concrete and steel (and even neon bilboards and signs) as the highest quality of life."

Tokyo can't compete with Lake Michigan? Last time I checked Japan was an island in the Pacific ocean. I will glady take ANY ocean over Lake Michigan even if that means having to drive to get to the ocean. I don't know I just don't get Chicago's appeal. I mean I understand it's high ranking against other US cities but to put it ahead of some of those other world cities is crazy to me. Chicago is an All American City to me, nothing too worldy going on there (for me)....again that's my own take and I am sure many disagree with me

Old 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
^^ And Tokyo's lack of diversity is a major reason why I don't feel it deserves a '10' in "food and drink" either -- not if the ability to obtain quality authentic food from countries all around the world (ala NYC) is important to you. Tokyo fails to be a truly international, cosmopolitan city.

That and Japan's xenophobic attitudes make it a more difficult place for non-Japanese to live there over the long haul (although Tokyo is still a great place to visit).
Tokyo absolutely deserves a 10 for food and drink. It does not require a Pole to make a pierogi, a Malay to make nasi goreng or a Quebecois to make poultine. The ethnic foods in Tokyo are authentic because the customer base and the food workers place a premium on food and authenticity that is rivaled perhaps nowhere else in the world It is a food culture that's been established well before this current rise in the Food Network's popularity.

Also, xenophobia is probably the wrong word for their attitude towards most foreigners. Almost everyone I know who's been to Tokyo has had an amazing time and had been treated well. The real difficulty is the language barrier and the government's immigration restrictions (which is certainly not representative of all or perhaps even most people's views) that makes it hard to live there and not some omnipresent xenophobia.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Tokyo can't compete with Lake Michigan? Last time I checked Japan was an island in the Pacific ocean. I will glady take ANY ocean over Lake Michigan even if that means having to drive to get to the ocean.
Tokyo is on the ocean, but I think his point is that they don't seem to utilize the ocean as well as Chicago utilizes Lake Michigan (beaches, etc).

Quote:
I don't know I just don't get Chicago's appeal. I mean I understand it's high ranking against other US cities but to put it ahead of some of those other world cities is crazy to me.
That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinion.

Quote:
Chicago is an All American City to me, nothing too worldy going on there (for me)....again that's my own take and I am sure many disagree with me
I agree that Chicago is an "All-American" type of city...but it's business influence is very global.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post

So what if they enjoy there own culture?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,813,415 times
Though I think this list is suspect at best, I have no qualms with NYC vying for the #1 spot.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycToTokyo View Post
2009 Mercer Quality of Living and Infracturer rankings which looks at the following for quality of life:

• Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)
  • Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)
  • Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)
  • Health and sanitation (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)
  • Schools and education (standard and availability of international schools, etc)
  • Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)
  • Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc)
  • Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)
  • Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)
  • Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters

Tokyo ranked about 14 places higher than New York City which fits my experience from living in both cities. This is why I highly question what criteria Time-Out is using for it's quality of life rankings.

In the infrastructure category Tokyo, along with most other major Japanese cities, again bests New York.

Mercer Quality of Living global city rankings 2009
Yes it makes me wonder if they are just biased.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,256,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The problem with all of these sorts of rankings is that once they get to forums such as C-D-we basically are into this sort of thing and probably know more than these magazine correspondents do.

I'd probably believe a C-D ranking over any of the others because of the intense scrutiny we apply to each and every thread if not post.
With that said, I would like to see City-Data members have a thread that discusses things like that and then compiles an actual list and has it put out somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City