Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,007,982 times

Advertisements

It is just one of thousands of stupid ranks. Don't get too serious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Hell yeah NYC! You are the best city in the world!
I agree with most of the list although I have some questions/contentions ...

Perhaps I am just woefully ignorant -- Istanbul is a great city but is it really top 10 material? Did I miss something??
Sydney is known to be a beautiful city with a great quality of life but is it more deserving of the top 10 than, say, Hong Kong, Moscow or LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
its a magazine...and it publishes in those cities... so it only had a few to pick from if it wanted to not **** off readership.
chicago and new york are the only 2 cities it publishes in for the u.s.

come on now...istanbul??? oh yeah...it publishes there...

and where is timeout the most selling? oh yeah...new york.

nyc is def a candidate for #1...but this entire list is bogus with clear bias.
same with the other ones.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its a magazine...and it publishes in those cities... so it only had a few to pick from if it wanted to not **** off readership.
Ah! Illumation.

Plus those are probably the only people who voted or gave input.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ah! Illumation.

Plus those are probably the only people who voted or gave input.
exactly

"In conjunction with our local correspondents, the panel then awarded the cities scores in each category and totalled them up for an overall ranking. "

Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
The problem with all of these sorts of rankings is that once they get to forums such as C-D-we basically are into this sort of thing and probably know more than these magazine correspondents do.

I'd probably believe a C-D ranking over any of the others because of the intense scrutiny we apply to each and every thread if not post.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Hell yeah NYC! You are the best city in the world!
I agree with most of the list although I have some questions/contentions ...

Perhaps I am just woefully ignorant -- Istanbul is a great city but is it really top 10 material? Did I miss something??
Sydney is known to be a beautiful city with a great quality of life but is it more deserving of the top 10 than, say, Hong Kong, Moscow or LA?
Overall nice list

But I was wondering the same thing that Lancer said about Istanbul being in the top 10. Istanbul is a great city and all but I think several of the categories like "Arts and Culture", "Quality of Life" & "World Status" are a bit overrated. Especially if you compare them to some of the other cities.

Still, this list seems ALOT better than some of the other lists we seen. I like that Chicago is recognized and that Sydney is still shown as a top city but more where it belongs.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
didn't Newsweek dub Istanbul the coolest city in the world?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:

Let's stop pretending these lists mean much..At least this is better than most of those goofy Forbes Top 10 lists. But I mean you're having a total of 75 people vote on the top 10 cities in the world.

Istanbul is a beautiful, fascinating city..From a tourist perspective--looking at historic architecture, interesting sights to see, I'd say it is in the Top 20 cities in the world...Whether it'd be in the top 10 places to live would be another story. All of the choices are great places to visit, I'll give them that.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,475 times
I know a guy from Turkey who can't stand Istanbul because of how ridiculously crowded it is and because of how ridiculous the traffic is. He goes back over to see family, but he's always ready to get away from there.

Now that I think of it, that also seems to be the case for a lot of retirees from NYC- can't get out of NYC quick enough. There's a retired couple just like that in my neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
Quote:

I donno, I've heard Istanbul is an amazing city. You certainly couldn't call Istanbul ugly...

Who knew it snowed in Constantinople?!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City