Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: K-Town, Los Angeles vs Flushing, Queens
K-Town, Los Angeles 24 48.00%
Flushing 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM

240 posts, read 1,264,819 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhood would you say is better asides from the fact that both neighborhoods have a great Koreatown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Smile Flushing, Home of the New York Mets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Which neighborhood would you say is better asides from the fact that both neighborhoods have a great Koreatown?
I never heard of Koreatown so I had to look it up. This is exactly why I like City Data and I thank you for mentioning this.

Koreatown seems to be a mixture of Koreans (20%) and others, especially Hispanics. Flushing is a mixture of Chinese and Koreans, with white ethnics in the more suburban areas of the north.

I voted for Flushing but not really for the people, which looks equally interesting in both cases. Downtown Flushing is amazing and is directly connected to Manhattan via the LIRR and the Flushing IRT. A history buff, I also like Flushing's long history dating from the 1640s. More importantly, FLUSHING HAS 2 MAJOR PARKS, Kissena and Flushing Meadows.

Kissena Park has Kissena Lake, Kissena brook and the Queensboro Botanical Gardens --- just a few blocks from downtown Flushing.

Flushing Meadows Park has Citifield (brand new home of the METS*), the US Open Tennis Stadium, the Queens Zoo, the Hall of Science, the Flushing Marina on Flushing Bay, the Worlds Fair grounds including the Unisphere & Terrace on the Park, and finally 2 large lakes.

*The good guys

Last edited by LINative; 09-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I never heard of Koreatown so I had to look it up. This is exactly why I like City Data and I thank you for mentioning this.

Koreatown seems to be a mixture of Koreans (20%) and others, especially Hispanics. Flushing is a mixture of Chinese and Koreans, with white ethnics in the more suburban areas of the north.

I voted for Flushing but not really for the people, which looks equally interesting in both cases. Downtown Flushing is amazing and is directly connected to Manhattan via the LIRR and the Flushing IRT. A history buff, I also like Flushing's long history dating from the 1640s. More importantly, FLUSHING HAS 2 MAJOR PARKS, Kissena and Flushing Meadows.

Kissena Park has Kissena Lake, Kissena brook and the Queensboro Botanical Gardens --- just a few blocks from downtown Flushing.

Flushing Meadows Park has Citifield (brand new home of the METS*), the US Open Tennis Stadium, the Queens Zoo, the Hall of Science, the Flushing Marina on Flushing Bay, the Worlds Fair grounds including the Unisphere & Terrace on the Park, and finally 2 large lakes.

*The good guys
I would think so. A lot of people don't really know anything about LA's suburbs are hardly care. People just know LA for it's Hollywood image (not to say I am painting a better picture) and LA has some really neat suburbs too, it's just a matter of discovery. I like Koreatown for it's good Korean BBQ and it's very urban enviorment and closeness to the subway. I also like it for it's cultured parades.

Pic's of Koreatown, Los Angeles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/6th_Street_and_Alexandria_looking_north_towards_Ho llywood.jpg (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreato...es,_California

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 09-14-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Flushing

Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Nice pictures. I especially like the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I would think so. A lot of people don't really know anything about LA's suburbs are hardly care. People just know LA for it's Hollywood image (not to say I am painting a better picture) and LA has some really neat suburbs too, it's just a matter of discovery. I like Koreatown for it's good Korean BBQ and it's very urban enviorment and closeness to the subway. I also like it for it's cultured parades.

Pic's of Koreatown, Los Angeles

Koreatown, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I would think so. A lot of people don't really know anything about LA's suburbs are hardly care.
Koreatown isn't a Los Angeles suburb, it is virtually the center of the city geographically and is one of the most crowded, urban, and dense areas of the city with 115,000 people living at a density of 42,000 people per square mile.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I've never been to Flushing but I have been to Koreatown in LA several times, each more boring than the one before. A poor mix of stores and nothing going on. I'd rather shop in Little Saigon, Westminster, but I was looking for a Hundred Day Ring for my new grandson.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Well, Koreatown is really more for the nightlife than anything, though it offers a lot more than just that. Ktown is a pretty amazing place andone of the most "urban" areas of this country.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Koreatown is extremely urban, but it's not much of neighborhood for strolling around. In order to fully enjoy the neighborhood, you really have to know where you intend to go beforehand. If you can do that, Koreatown is great for nightlife and of course, FOOD!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Koreatown has really awesome food-I had a meal there once that took my breath away. And it wasnt some swank bistro but a mom-n-pop joint...the beef was so tender and perfect...mmmm. In fact, its one of the only places I've eaten where every single meal has been a joy.

Flushing is also very cool. I have relatives who live around there-its one of my favorite areas of New York. My neighbors in Manhattan used to give me strange looks whenever I told them I was going to Flushing to hang out--LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City