Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
New York 65 51.59%
New Jersey 61 48.41%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I would say NY state

The New York State commutes are better into the city. Whenever i'm coming back through Jersey, the I-95 GWB traffic is VOMITACIOUS, it was horrible! It took like 2 hours just to get to the toll booth! And I can't imagine that the two Hudson tunnels being any better since there are even less lanes there! From LI, there is 5+ crossings into manhattan, and from the northern counties, there is no bottlenecks, you have multiple highways to travel down into manhattan from (though i'm not saying they still don't have to deal with traffic).

Plus, I find the expressways/parkways/thruways in Jersey to very confusing, they're all over the place! and they have toll booths everywhere. In Long Island for example, there are 3-4 main freeways that go East-West and it's pretty hard to get confused then; way better and organized road system.

I find the LIRR and Metro North to be a lot better as opposed to the NJT, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.
Just so you know, I (and most of my NJ peers) find Long Island's roads to be terribly confusing (and I've been driving regularly there for many years). Maybe it's just one of those things where it's all about what you're accustomed to?? Just like any other locale??

Maybe, just maybe, it was NJ who got it right with road planning (and not Long Island), seeing that Long Island has traffic 24 hours a day, and NJ's traffic in general moves very well?

Those NJ jug handles might have been a pretty good idea afterall. Long Island could use a few of them to ease the traffic. The constant (and I really mean constant) traffic in LI is one of the reasons why I would never consider living there full time. I would consider a beach house on Fire Island, but ONLY because it's accessible by boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Battlehymn, your 2 posts are a bunch of nonsense, and clearly you don't get it, so I won't comment on the majority of the blabbering. But I have two specific points to make:

1) You feel that NJ needs a baseball team? I feel that NY needs a football team.

2) Pizza is better 3 hours upstate than in NJ? That's pretty funny actually. In your "first post", you managed to lose all credibility with regards to culinary criticism.

Welcome to the board, "newbie"!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Just so you know, I (and most of my NJ peers) find Long Island's roads to be terribly confusing (and I've been driving regularly there for many years). Maybe it's just one of those things where it's all about what you're accustomed to?? Just like any other locale??

Maybe, just maybe, it was NJ who got it right with road planning (and not Long Island), seeing that Long Island has traffic 24 hours a day, and NJ's traffic in general moves very well?

Those NJ jug handles might have been a pretty good idea afterall. Long Island could use a few of them to ease the traffic. The constant (and I really mean constant) traffic in LI is one of the reasons why I would never consider living there full time. I would consider a beach house on Fire Island, but ONLY because it's accessible by boat!
Long Island limited-access roadways are not confusing at all, even to an outsider. Our roadways are basically gridded; not to the extent of Manhattan island but to the point in which you have to be mentally-deficient to get lost. [Oh, and we have ZERO tolls]

You're EITHER going east-west or north-south [on the main-highways]

- If you are on the NORTHERN State Pkwy then you are going east-west on the North Shore.

- If you are on the LIE then you are going east-west in the middle of the Island.

- If you are on the SOUTHERN State Pkwy then you are going east-west on the South Shore.

- If you are on Sunrise Hwy then you are going east-west on the South Shore (though this roadway only turns limited-access around when you reach the Suffolk Co border)

(And there are 5+ North-South parkways that connect all of these roadways.)

As for the traffic-situation, ok, it can be bad but DEFINITELY not bad 24 hours a day, only the hours around Rush-Hour can be bad (at least here in Suffolk County). But we're not dependent on Manhattan for jobs, a very large percentage of Long Islands population work in out here mainly in the Melville-Hauppauge corridor, we're independent to a degree so most of us don't have to deal with 60 mile commutes.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM

I have an understanding of the main highways, but others are confusing. Remember, the roads in NJ aren't confusing to a NJ person, either.

The traffic in Nassau County is worse, on a regular basis, than anything I've encountered in the LA area or DC area.

NJ really does a pretty good job (considering the density of the NYC metropolitan area) of keeping traffic moving.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Getting to Long Island is a disaster. That's all I'm going to say.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
ny state - only because of the nyc tri-state area.

i have no desire to live in albany, buffalo or syracuse

to me - ct/nj/li comprise nyc's official state

Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
New York. Easily.

One big reason (or five if your going by boroughs): New York City. NYC pride.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i love them both

i'll take either over the rest of the country

Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 PM

161 posts, read 182,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i love them both

i'll take either over the rest of the country
same here. but someone's gotta win, and i choose ny because of nyc. literally the best place on the planet

Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
New York. Easily.

One big reason (or five if your going by boroughs): New York City. NYC pride.
Very true. Although I feel like the premise of this thread (although the OP never mentioned it) is New York not including NYC vs. NJ, or maybe just NY suburbs vs. NJ suburbs. To try to compare otherwise is pretty pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City