Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
New York 65 51.59%
New Jersey 61 48.41%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

125 posts, read 331,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
nj is glorified and enjoyed by new york.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nyc loves nnj. Ya right. The ills and jokes.... and just about anything negative about nj is glorified and enjoyed by new york. If anything nyc hates jersey. Especially them manhattanites ya love to suck up too
But in the end you all move here anyway. That's the funny part about it.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,493,061 times
New York

Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
But in the end you all move here anyway. That's the funny part about it.
Who? Speak for certain people. New yorkers move all over.The south, florida,long island,upstate etc

Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 29,411 times
New Jersey just plainly sucks. For some reason they like to consider themselves New Yorkers but at the same time they like to stick to their fist pumping selves and say that New Jersey is the best place in the country. Get your facts straight people. New Yorkers put up with people from NJ because they have no choice. To most of us NJ is just a dump that just tries to leech onto other states and cities like NYC and Philly to make themselves seem like they are a part of them

Just because you live in close proximity to NYC does not mean you are a New Yorker and the same goes with Philly. Just because someone who lives way upstate 5-10 minutes away from the Canadian Border does not make them Canadian because they are close. All of you who voted NJ seem to say the same thing that "New York" is close. Yes it is, but last time I checked NJ is a completely different state than New York. New York could care less about NJ.

Hypothetically speaking, if New York decided to block off all of its entrances to people from NJ (you guys have no way of getting in) and Pennsylvania decided to block off NJ's entrances to Philly, what would you have other than the shore? Not to mention a great deal of your state would be out of work so you depend on us a ton. Yes NYC is close to NJ, but the only reason why many of you chose NJ was because of it's close proximity to both cities meaning you have to leave the state. Neither cities are in NJ so why would you choose NJ?

New York a side from its rich history, beautiful landscape, huge cities and other types of things, the food is better. New Jersey pizza (I've had it dozens of times) is greasy, sloppy, and drippy and completely terrible when compared to New York Pizza. It also lacks the taste that NY pizza has even if it is right over the border. If you go three hours upstate the pizza is even better than NJ (and it is good up there, as that is where NY gets most of its water supply from in the Binghimton and Deposit areas up there and many New Yorkers know that the secret is in the water for good pizza dough which is why it is unique as compared to the pizza in other states.

I don't mind driving in New Jersey (even though most drivers there don't care about anyone but themselves on the road), and the only good part of Jersey is the cheap gas and much cheaper cigarettes as compared to NY. NJ needs their own identity and needs to stop living in the shadow of New York. They need their own baseball team as well. These teams don't have New York in their name for nothing. Also the activity is better here as bars are open later and you can pretty much buy beer anywhere late at night unlike NJ where if you aren't near NY you are stuck without alcohol. Not to mention we have gay marriage.

And for those other fellow New Yorkers who've never been upstate before, I highly recommend taking a weekend trip up there whether for leisure or seasonal festivites, especially during the Autumn. There's nothing like Autumn in NY. There are tons of places and big cities up there (I'm a frequent traveler) like Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, Buffalo and smaller towns like Cortland and Auburn as well as beautiful nature like Niagara Falls and the Catskills. Yeah the people are a bit different once you hit a certain point, but most of them are very friendly and move from Southern NY to go up there. You can't judge it if you haven't been there. Overall you just can't beat NY.

Hail to my fellow New Yorkers!

Last edited by BattleHymn; 07-11-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM

10 posts, read 29,411 times
Just another quick thing. For some reason Northern NJ believes that they are New Yorkers. Yes they are close and share common values and similarities to the Southern areas of NY, but they aren't NY, they are NJ. New York will never attach New Jersey to it so it needs to be understood. NY is a separate state and it will always stay that way. Yes they are close in the area, but they will never become part of NY, it's just unrealistic.

I've also browsed this forum and saw a lot of hate whether it be Long Island hates the rest of NY or whatever. The fact of the matter is, New York is New York, we are the Empire State and that's how it is. All of the areas of New York including NYC, Long Island, and upstate make up this great state we call our home and it is kind of ridiculous to hate it. The more we have the better and we all need to stick together. Yes certain areas of NY produce different people and landscape, but it's all about being open minded instead of judging people for the area they live in and are from. New York is a great state and the best in the country and I wouldn't have it any other way. Why tear it a part piece by piece because the people are different in some areas?

By the way, for you NJ folk who seem to insult the people way upstate and call them hicks, ever been to Warren County in western NJ. I stopped there quite a few times on my way to Pennsylvania and those are some real hicks right there and it's only about an hour and half from NYC. They hang out in their pickup trucks, wave confederate flags, and seem to have some kind of almost southern accent (or at least fake it) so you should probably evaluate your own before you begin picking on something bigger and much more diverse like NY. Most of you have probably never ventured upstate, your only judging from what you hear. I've seen more hicks in NJ an hour or so from the NYS line than I've ever seen upstate.

Last edited by BattleHymn; 07-11-2011 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot Information

Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Ny state is too large to judge as one place almost 1/2 the state is rural and NYC is the most dense city in america so NYS it very varied, Ever NW NJ is rural and parts of SE NJ so you cant really pick state by state IMO

Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ny state is too large to judge as one place almost 1/2 the state is rural and NYC is the most dense city in america so NYS it very varied, Ever NW NJ is rural and parts of SE NJ so you cant really pick state by state IMO
This is much better said (compared to the 2 'essays' above)

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
I would rather live in Rochester than any part of NYC or New Jersey, although I suppose I would be okay in a Philadelphia suburb.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,309,691 times
I would say NY state

The New York State commutes are better into the city. Whenever i'm coming back through Jersey, the I-95 GWB traffic is VOMITACIOUS, it was horrible! It took like 2 hours just to get to the toll booth! And I can't imagine that the two Hudson tunnels being any better since there are even less lanes there! From LI, there is 5+ crossings into manhattan, and from the northern counties, there is no bottlenecks, you have multiple highways to travel down into manhattan from (though i'm not saying they still don't have to deal with traffic).

Plus, I find the expressways/parkways/thruways in Jersey to very confusing, they're all over the place! and they have toll booths everywhere. In Long Island for example, there are 3-4 main freeways that go East-West and it's pretty hard to get confused then; way better and organized road system.

I find the LIRR and Metro North to be a lot better as opposed to the NJT, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-13-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City